It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientist has created a warp drive in his garage and demonstrated it

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
What Dr White says about this that the only speed boost that anything from space dust to photons will get is when it passes through the interface between the bubble and normal space. inside the bubble nothing is moving except at the speed it had prior to entering warp. the ship is practically at rest (Actually it is moving at the speed it had when the bubble was erected.) there is no abnormal acceleration in the interior region and since stuff passes through the "skin" of the warp bubble there is no accumulation of matter or photons at the boundaries of the warp field either.

there is a collision hazard but it is no greater than that of the combined normal space velocities of the objects in collision. That's still quite dangerous. dust is like a high powered rifle bullet, grains are like an armor piercing round gravel is like artillery shells or missiles, bowling balls are like atomic bombs.

Though formidible; we do have technology that could protect against such impacts. fortunately the ones greater than dust are very very rare even given the volume of space that can be gone through at those speeds. For example; at high relativistic speed you can expect one dust bunny impact per square meter of frontal cross section per day. grain sized is rare and the larger ones are successively more rare still. dust and sand grain sized impactors can be swept aside by electrical or magnetic fields. gravel sized ones can be handled by automatic radar/laser combinations.

bigger ones are so rare you might not hit one at all in an entire interstellar voyage. but presumably you can dodge big ones because you should have time between seeing them and impact to do something.

Also there is one effect that is true because of the interface between the two spaces: optical rules apply. something entering a region of different density to the one it is traveling through will have it's path bent defracted or refracted. with a little luck or planning this means stuff aiming dead center of your line of travel will deflect away from it on it's own.

You could cut the risk of warp travel to practically zero by flying formation with some drones spaced at proper intrvals around the actual craft to either detect potential risks or take the hit for you as a means of detection. If you know nothing can travel faster than the speed of light and an object in a warp bubble extends through a known volume of normal space you can effectively shield a craft from any sized object traveling any speed that isn't itself in a warp bubble (and one that is in one isn't going to be traveling that fast unless it's a weapon).

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Hey this is just an update from his website with experimental data. It's not a pretty website and yes he's crowdfunding but big whoop, the gravity wave experiment cost billions and has done zero. Mind you ppl sell actual boxes of bull crap and get funding for it lol. It shouldn't be a big deal he's asking and to the people mocking his background and schooling, Einstein was a patent clerk. Point being since when does a man with an idea and ambition need to care about what you say to be validated or to invent? If the ppl mocking his schoolings had a say the world would be screwed and a sad place to live. "Oh you have an experiment showing signs of new physics? Well screw you, you didn't spend 6 figures on a piece of paper saying I should care or listen. Sad.

Back to the link His Website haven't gone through it all yet.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
a reply to: NiZZiM

Thanks for the bump and update! He does seem to be getting an effect and this is exciting! Cue up the Grateful Dead or this and lets go for a ride people.

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It's all a load of sheites and you ain't goin nowhere
I wont be holding my breath.
a reply to: bluemooone2

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Im sorry that you feel that way my friend , and you very well may be right however only time will tell and from all that I have seen in our combined efforts I do believe that we are dam close to something very very impressive on almost every science front that I know of if we just hold on a while longer.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join