It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa scientist has created a warp drive in his garage and demonstrated it

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You might not believe any of this stuff. But suspend your disbelief for a moment and make space for something incredible. Let’s start this past summer, when a NASA scientist named Harold “Sonny” White unveiled an artist’s rendering of a spacecraft capable of shooting across the galaxy. The spacecraft was theoretical, but the research behind it was real. For years White has been exploring the possibilities of actual “Star Trek”-like travel. He even named his ship the IXS Enterprise. There are obstacles, such as forms of energy that might not exist. That’s a problem. For NASA, yes, but also for the world’s scientists and Trekkies and time-travel obsessives (not necessarily mutually exclusive groups) for whom “warp drive” technology — once the stuff of science fiction but now generally accepted as a mathematical possibility — hangs like the most delicious carrot on the most spectacular stick in the cosmos. The dreamers are out there. They attend space conventions and frequent online discussions and brush aside pooh-poohing issues over “causality” and “exotic matter,” and believe these questions must have answers. You just have to know where to look — because maybe the key to unlocking this cosmic mystery will be found in a place nobody expects. Like here in David Pares’ garage. "

www.omaha.com...

a reply to:
NiZZiM

edit on 1-1-2015 by iDope because: Linked the article as it is qupted material

edit on 1/1/2015 by bigfatfurrytexan because: trimmed quote, added link. Posting Works Written By Others

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

edit on 1-1-2015 by iDope because: tried to upload link of video within, wouldn't direct to the specific video.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysterX
a reply to: NiZZiM

I love people like Pares, without the free thinkers slogging away in the face of ridicule and eye rolls, we'd never get half way anywhere.

Even if it doesn't work out, good for him for at least trying and doing it his way.

You've taken the words out of my mouth. He doesn't seem to be interested in personal gain he appears to be in it because it interests him. And if some middle aged man can sit in his own garage at home, tinkering around in his spare time and make a major breakthrough then that's pretty fantastic if you ask me. And if he doesn't I'm sure he'll just carry on tinkering anyway.

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: sg1642

My thoughts exactly! The great discoveries come from men not bound by scientific dogma and willing to attempt the impossible. I wish I could get a visit to this guys garage and see his ship lift off the ground for the first time. You'd be part of the history of the world for eternity for being there at the beginning of interstellar travel!

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:14 AM
link   
hm.. didn't NASA already demonstrated that this actually exists? I remember a TED talk from 1 or 2 years ago where a dude actually demonstrated it but to do anything useful we would need a lot of energy which is not feasible currently.

Edit: NVM - they have the quote in that article - should have read the whole thing before posting here :-)

[QUOTE]
This is what NASA is working toward, though it runs into that problem about the huge (and possibly nonexistent) forms of energy required.
[/QUOTE]
edit on 3-1-2015 by flyandi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Until I witnessed a massive object rapidly cross the sky with no sound and like it floated, I had never explored the possibility of alternative propulsion systems. Now I read everything on the subject and have actually invested in real-world companies I think are engaged.

I know there's something up there that defies current officially-discussed science. I'd love to believe it's aliens but, cynically, maybe like Richard Dolan, I think its a breakaway civilization. God, Id love it to be aliens though. Aliens would make me feel elated. Aliens would make me feel less like a slave-ant.

But more evidence really does exist for some super-faction on this planet than aliens. I cant help but think that some supersecret group is laughing everytime NASA explodes a craft into space. I cant help, after what Ive seen in the sky, thinking warpdrives are just the tip of the iceburg. 

Maybe a dude in his garage will figure it out. It has happened literally dozens of times before. Just need a few holysh*t breakthroughs in physics. Id like to be there for that. Its gonna happen though... the new Einstein. 

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
How did he test it to demonstrate is works?

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage
How did he test it to demonstrate is works?

it's in there:

swdllc.paresspacewarpresearch.org...

The following is list of some of our findings as covered in this paper:

The Fractal Arrays which comprise the warp drive motor will move in the direction the opening is pointed. Depending on the power levels the displacement has been as much as 1.2 cm. If pointed up they will take weight off of a triple beam balance scale and add weight when pointed downward. The motion and force is power dependent.
A weight displacement @ 100 watts was recorded at 0.5 grams using a spring scale. A Compression Metric of 0.1 mm was also recorded at this power level.
A red shift in frequency and wavelength was also detected 1.4 x 10^-6 MHz
Compression of a laser beam was measured and statistically verified using a warp drive motor, laser and interferometer. (Experiment 1)
Additional tests were performed using fringe patterns and laser through a warp drive. The same results confirmed the existence of space warp compression between the fractal arrays of the warp drive motor. (Experiment 2) Statistical confirmation Sigma 4
The warp field metric is controllable and can be varied by the amount of power applied.
A warp field can be constructed using smaller warp bubbles. Steering is also possible by shaping the warp field bubble. By increasing the power to a warp bubble configuration, the craft will turn to the strong side.
Any tidal actions from inducing the micro space warp bubble are not apparent. As power levels in the lab experiment are increased this could change.
When powering up the warp motor a negative field is created for several seconds and then followed by a full scale deflection on a Trifield™ meter. When power is released the meter deflects slightly and then indicates full positive deflection for 1.5 to 2 seconds before returning to zero. The data supports a warp field compression metric.
Creating space warp does not require exotic forms of energy. The research that has been conducted over the last twenty five years and within the last two years successfully created a small experimental warp drive motor that compressed the fabric of space. Laboratory investigations confirmed the existence of space warp. R Squared values .96 & .93 Forced versus Thrust for Tuned Dual and Quad ArraysPage Break

edit on 3-1-2015 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Extraordinary claims, circumventing the usual scientific process and asking for money. Color me skeptical.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: GetHyped
Extraordinary claims, circumventing the usual scientific process and asking for money. Color me skeptical.

where there is smoke there is most often fire. there is a convergence on this type of mechanism. Shawyer, Cannae, White, the chinese and numerous others of the general class of device known as an EM thruster or QVPT.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

where there is smoke there is most often fire.

Where there's smoke there's usually mirrors. There is no evidence for this device, the evidence for the EM thruster was inconclusive and most likely experimenter error (and, of course, these two devices are completely unrelated). Even if the EM drive turns out to be legit (and I'm doubtful), its legitimacy has zero bearing on the legitimacy of this "warp drive".
edit on 3-1-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

where there is smoke there is most often fire.

Where there's smoke there's usually mirrors. There is no evidence for this device, the evidence for the EM thruster was inconclusive and most likely experimenter error (and, of course, these two devices are completely unrelated).
not unrelated at all. nor is Dr Woodward's Mach Thruster unrelated. or Dr White's own QVPT (interestingly White's QVPT was the original test article used in the NASA Warp interferometry test.) still think this thing is unrelated? the device design is broadly an EM device generating either Thrust or a warp or both. all of them are broadly operating on the same basic principle even if the theory may differ. they use EM to generate their effects. there is little over all difference in most of them. Shayer's device, the chinese knock off, the cannae device are all the same. Woodward's is a solid state variant, whites is toroidial, but same basic mechanism, this dude's device radiates openly rather than in a closed system. other than that they are all doing the same things just slightly different details.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

It is completely unrelated:

Within the framework of general relativity it is possible to distort space-time in a way that allows for craft to travel purely by means of the compression of space in front of and the expansion of space behind the craft. [1] This paper summaries laboratory investigations and preliminary findings confirming the hypothesis that the compression of the fabric of space can be accomplished without exotic energy, through the use of tri-pole electric fields and conventional power.

Not only that but they're "publishing" their results as press releases (highly unconventional) and asking for handouts. Big red flags right there.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

It is completely unrelated:

Within the framework of general relativity it is possible to distort space-time in a way that allows for craft to travel purely by means of the compression of space in front of and the expansion of space behind the craft. [1] This paper summaries laboratory investigations and preliminary findings confirming the hypothesis that the compression of the fabric of space can be accomplished without exotic energy, through the use of tri-pole electric fields and conventional power.

Not only that but they're "publishing" their results as press releases (highly unconventional) and asking for handouts. Big red flags right there.
oh you think this guy is going the peer review route? not likely. he's avoiding it in favor of producing a working model. personally i wouldn't mind if he built a starship and landed at NASA HQ and crushed the director's car under one of it's landing feet. that way every little pisant critic gets their pee pee slapped with a ruler and recieve a big cup of STFU at the same time. one day one of these outlier researchers will do that (at least figuratively.)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Yes, but if you decrease the space density wouldn't that influence other objects also? Or does it only work where there are no big objects near?

Also: time would go faster due to time dilation. So wouldn't the crew and vessel age too much??

edit on 3-1-2015 by QueenofWeird because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: QueenofWeird
a reply to: SkepticOverlord

Yes, but if you decrease the space density wouldn't that influence other objects also? Or does it only work where there are no big objects near?

Also: time would go faster due to time dilation. So wouldn't the crew and vessel age too much??
thats not how time dilation works.

take a trip from earth to as star 1000 light years away at just under light speed. At home 1000 years pass. The crew on the ship only perceives the passage of a few weeks. They don't age but a few weeks. If they return home at the same speed 2000 years total time would pass for the people at home. the crew would have hardly aged at all. Thats how time dilation works. And it has no effect at all on the people left at home. that's just the normal passage of time. though it a relativistic equivilence principle sort of way you could say the crew experienced normal time and the home station experienced accelerated time.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Riiiight. "I'm not going to publish my results because *something something* but hey, give me money please!"

that way every little pisant critic gets their pee pee slapped with a ruler and recieve a big cup of STFU at the same time. one day one of these outlier researchers will do that (at least figuratively.)

Thanks for the laugh.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Riiiight. "I'm not going to publish my results because *something something* but hey, give me money please!"

that way every little pisant critic gets their pee pee slapped with a ruler and recieve a big cup of STFU at the same time. one day one of these outlier researchers will do that (at least figuratively.)

Thanks for the laugh.
Is he asking for money? one closed indegogo is not asking for money. your are acting like the thrust of the article was him begging for money. i don't see it. show me.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Indegogo IS asking for money. It's, like, the very definition of asking for money. It ended around a month ago. How exactly is that NOT asking for money?

But hey, did you chip in $10 for email updates? For an extra $10 bucks you could have your name on their website! If you're feeling particularly flush perhaps you chimed in $1,000 (lol!) for the platinum packaged and snagged yourself a trip to their garage... ahem, headquaters.

your are acting like the thrust of the article was him begging for money

The "thrust" of the article is a press release, hot on the heels of a begging campaign. No doubt after the cool off period it will be up again to fleece the credulous of their $$$.
edit on 3-1-2015 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   
amazing. you have psychic powers too! mehbeh yew should trundle off and start a predictions thread somewhere.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join