It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Money can buy happiness

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Money can buy moments of happiness.

It can buy you a fancy car, a nice night out, a vacation, etc.

Those things can make one very happy for moments in time.

What money can't buy is love.

I think love is the key to eternal happiness.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
Money can buy moments of happiness.

It can buy you a fancy car, a nice night out, a vacation, etc.

Those things can make one very happy for moments in time.
[
What money can't buy is love.

I think love is the key to eternal happiness.

Money can't buy you love but it certainly improves your bargaining position....

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

It's more like money is an avenue to allow yourself to feel happy. In reality one is simply gratifying one's own ego. Usually doing that lends itself to a form of satisfaction.

There are many other ways to gratify the ego than spending money though.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Velom

nobody is buying what you are selling. good luck

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I would be missing sleep if I had a lot of money right now. With countries collapsing, commodities collapsing, currency wars, hacking companies and companies hacking, speculators making money off my money and losing it left and right. Money can't avert risk for free.

edit on 29-12-2014 by Emeraldous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Anyone who says money can't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop.

Then again, Biggie Smalls said Mo Money, Mo Problems.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. I think for most people having the resources to put food on the table and cover life's basic needs is all they really want.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Even if money cant buy you happiness it sure as hell can make your misery more comfortable .

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 04:50 AM
link   
There is more to grasp from this thread than addressing the title alone. Many whom live in the West and complain about its nature don't actually realise that every society/civilisation has its pros and cons. Western civilisation might have its flaws, but it's hard to argue against the high quality of life for the average person living in the West compared to most other civilisations.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 05:23 AM
link   

a true money-free society is not possible yet and can only take off in a world in which the population is controlled

"The population is controlled" By whom, at what number is the population optimal.

They need an increasing population or increasing spending to keep accumulating more wealth.

Now, I imagine that a society like this could possible very well exist, in some sort of futuristic, transhumanist, robotic empire of genetically enhanced humans through genetic modification and eugenics

Eugenics right. OK Are you and your family part of the rich survivors?

Still this ATS and this is skunk works!

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   
The problems change. We're the same. Money is fake. It's only the value of goods we produce. It's easier than hauling a cow to the corner store I guess. It also makes people taking for granted those produced goods. Maybe that's why it's #ing imploding.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Many years ago I was a nanny to three kids. One day the tv posed the question which makes you happier, money or love.

I scoffed, expecting the kids to feel the same as me. Of course love was more important. Duh!

But I was shocked. The three kids said I was wrong. They said money can get you fun things. They said it can make you feel safe. They said it can make mom stop worrying.

I took care of these kids for 12 hours a day for a single professional lady whose husband had bailed for a girl half her age. In the 4 years I nannied, he promised to visit numerous times and never did. Kids never stopped hoping though.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Being happy, is a state of mind, that's why I think happiness "CAN" be bought.

Having money, being a rich person, certainly gives you many advantages in pursuit of happiness over ones who aren't financially stable.

Yes, maybe a person is happy when they bring food to the table, or the most basic human needs, but... even that can be so different for everyone.

Are you happy to eat McDonald's all year? Or are you happy with fine dining?

Are you happy driving your Hyundai? Or are you happy with your Buggati Veyron?

Are you happy with cheap/inferior medical care? Or are you happy with being able to see the "BEST" Doctors in the world with the most cutting edge equipment/healing technology available to man? Ultimately, we all die, as rich as Steve Jobs, when he has to go, he has to go. But the process is very different isn't it? Did Steve Jobs suffer the same fate as those who has the same terminal illness but doesn't have $8 billion in assets?

Can Magic Johnson live long enough to spread his message if he doesn't have the cash to back up those blood transfusions?

As materialistic as this may sound, that's how it is in the real world. It is different for everyone.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides

Your post is a study in idiocy. You are conflating necessity and happiness. Looks the words up in a dictionary, then read your post, and delete it. You clearly don't understand even the most basic concepts. Take your Ayn Rand'ian neo-fascistic value absent personal conservative philosophical musings somewhere else.

Yes, because those who disparage Ayn Rand'ian like ideas are the first to want to silence those ideas.

Why?

Because you know your alternative ideology can't compete in the arena of ideas, either in theory or in practice.

I love money. I love making money. I love when people give me money when I do things and provide things that make their life better. The more money I have, the more people I've added value to.

If you don't have enough money it means you haven't added enough value.

Yeah money!!!

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I agree with you, this poster is sad, pitiful example of a person. A sterling incarnation of everything currently wrong with America. His basic premises rely on acceptance and taking pleasure from the seven deadly sins wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

There's a word for a person such as the op, Insensate.
edit on 31-12-2014 by th3dudeabides because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   

edit on 31-12-2014 by th3dudeabides because: duplicate

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: th3dudeabides
a reply to: stosh64

I agree with you, this poster is sad, pitiful example of a person. A sterling incarnation of everything currently wrong with America. His basic premises rely on acceptance and taking pleasure from the seven deadly sins wrath, greed, sloth, pride, lust, envy, and gluttony.

There's a word for a person such as the op, Insensate.

I'm guessing you don't have much money, and are envious of those who do.

What word describes that?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   
The only happiness that money buys is the happiness of knowing that in some way secures your continued survival and will allow you to continue to consume food and have sex for an indefinite amount of time.

Only love can bring real happiness and real joy, because when everything burns down and we're all forced to survive like animals again money won't buy you # but regret and sadness that life aint what it once was. Thats when you can tell the difference between true happiness and the manufactured consent system we conform to today. Learn some basic survival skills and know how to get the things you need when know one is taking care of you and all of a sudden life looks 100% different then the way you currently perceive it now.

Mney is just the illusion of a dream. It's less than real. Truely a nonexistent entity in reality. Stop dreaming start living and loving while you still have time.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: xkillbox5000x

What is love?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Love is a lot simpler than you might think

Its an emotion, the opposite of hate.

If your referring to true love between two souls that's hard to come by in a world so full of darkness and paranoia.

But simple love and all the different forms of light and goodness in this world exsit everywhere if you just take the time to stop and see it. Seeing the cashier at the other end of the register who's obviously having a miserable day and giving her the biggest smile you can muster, just for the sake of smiling, and having that smile returned even for that brief moment. Watching a father playing with his kids at the park even though his whole body hurts from doing construction labor all day. Hearing their joyous laughter and playful name calling, then just watching him with great beady eyes taking in the scenario of his kids playing and knowing that even for that brief moment all his worries just washed away. Walking down the street by yourself on a miserable rainy day and seeing the sun peak out from behind the clouds. You look up and stop grumbling to yourself for just that one moment and appreciate that small joy that nature gave you on such a gloomy day.

The small things in life may be the only love that humans have left in this day and age and it is truly sad how those moments are so brief and so fleeting.

You can give me countless counterexamples and go into human psychology and give reasons upon reasons for why these behaviors are exhibited by these people in these situations, but those don't disprove the love thats involved. Its an emotion, its invoked by chemicals in the body and its a perception of the world around us.

In either case emotions are not everlasting, just like the happiness that money brings you is not everlasting.

My main point was to see past the facade of the system and know that when money is no more it can't buy you any emotion but regret for a life wasted

edit on 1-1-2015 by xkillbox5000x because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Money is needed to survive in today's world but it does not buy happiness. You are putting subjective truths forward as fact.

I can prove you wrong in a very simple way. Take a baby smiling at a parents goofy face.........How much money does this cost.......You are wrong.
edit on 2-1-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join