It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When I thought things couldn't get crazier the Selfie Stick became a thing

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

I find the whole utube, FB phenomenon of selfies, pictures of your food and drinking, and other inane photo narcissism a very curious cultural turn of events.

Or the hanging of portraits in ones home, or sharing home movies or video tapes of vacations, or flipping through a photo album, or looking at Polaroids, or someone's travel slides, sending a postcard, etcetera.

Humans are social creatures and we enjoy the experience.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I think there is a significant difference between membership and use of a site like this, and the increasinly prevalent disease of the mind, which allows huge numbers of individuals to attempt some sort of metamorphosis into a personality cult leader.

Here on ATS the idea is that all members are able to share data on important topics, and learn from one anothers experience and understanding, in order to better navigate and recognise the mine infested waters of conspiracy, goverment tomfoolery, corporate buffoonery, espionage, and so on and so forth. Some members may gain a following of members who find their manner of dealing with issues impressive or worthy of praise, some may actively promote their ideology through their membership, but the main thrust of the site is collaboration and interaction for the purpose of better informing the members of what is happening out there.

That differs hugely from the instagram, YouTube, "LOOK AT MY DINNER NAO!" crowd. That is not to say that there are not users of those sites who use them for what they are intended for. Hell, I have a YouTube, just for those rare occasions when I find myself thinking it might be easier to communicate an idea in person, or as near as damnit. But the fact of the matter is, that the difference remains clear!

We are here to learn from one another, to gain the benefit of the experience of others, and to share our own experience lest it be useful to another member, and I think that is what seperates sites like this, from other sites that have even a vauge social aspect. There is a higher purpose to our musings, and our utterances here, than mere fluffing of egos.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
NM
edit on 29-12-2014 by th2356 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
honestly, I didn't even know what they were. Now all's I can think is, 'people spend money on that?!'

how lame. people are idiots. And for the record, I wouldn't put my 500 dollar phone in one of those. Are you kidding? Looks totally cheap and liable to break. Not to mention the someone stealing it aspect.

Unlike the rest of my age cohorts, my friends and I don't take pictures of us hanging out. Maybe it's because my close friends are guys and not girls but...man we are having so much fun we don't even think about taking a picture. ( and pictures are incriminating >_> lol I see so many people rolling face on facebook or being drunk off of their arses and it's like..what possessed you to take a picture of that and post it online for all to see?) That would be weird!! These selfie obsessed people must be really bored or something. Or really insecure needing everyone to know that they have friends or something lol

How sad!
edit on 29-12-2014 by rukia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: th2356

I wasn't aware that Facebook was able to force users to go on and look at other people's media uploads.

And the 'we' part was right, humans are social creatures, although 'you' may not be.

edit on 29-12-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: th2356

I wasn't aware that Facebook was able to force users to go on and look at other people's media uploads.

And the 'we' part was right, humans are social creatures, although 'you' may not be.

Obviously my post upset you. I was not really that serious, I hoped the smiley would tell you that.

I removed my post since you took such offense by it that you made a personal attack. I thought the "off topic" section of ATS was the place to have a little fun - my bad.

Carry on.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   
At this point, things like this don't even faze me anymore. I lost what little faith I had in the future of humanity long, long ago.

*pours another shot of scotch*

Edit: ...And just to go on record, I'm quite happy to say that I've never taken a "selfie".....
edit on 12/30/2014 by AdmireTheDistance because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join