It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scanning driver's license to buy gift card?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Freenrgy2

Maybe it was only an issue in your area perhaps? Up here in MI, I can buy as many of those cards as I want using cash or credit. I've only seen the signs for "cash only" in the dollar stores, or other places that don't really push their sales using credit.

Now, in one of the stores I usually shop at - I have had an employee say they were supposed to scan the card themselves (which I found humorous, because every time I buy a gift card I rip the back off and do it without them) ; The poor lady almost had a heart-attack when I did it in front of her. The next week, I looked like an idiot waiting for another employee to scan the card. She told me to just scan it myself, like I always do.

-fossilera

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Freenrgy2

Well, I don't know what's going on there, but it sounds like total BS! They scan for prevention of "money laundering", then tell you tat you have yo pay with CASH!?!?!?!?!? That makes less than no sense! Paying with a card is totally traceable, and there would be NO NEED to scan an ID. I'd complain to the store manager, then the chain. This smells very fishy!

My husband and I have purchased gift cards at the local grocery store many times, and paid with our debit card, and were never even asked for ID, much less told it had to be scanned!

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Trying to break it down to local laws gets confusing because national chains have to follow the law of the state they are headquarted in.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join