It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did primitive humans begin building large stone structures?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 08:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Mads1987

All of the "freaking amazing" ancient structures like pyramids,temples and palaces were built by giants about 5000 years ago to rule the humans. After the giants were killed off, most of the peoples went back to the wilderness ,the desert and the jungles and forests. In other words ,the humans were given a head start by aliens (fallen angles) who had advanced knowledge to share with some High priests and rulers ( of pure human lineage as compared to half human half entity).

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   
They were practicing for today's world??? Why build condo's and housing projects, when there's so much space on our planet??? Population control.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It's a natural solution a universal set of problems that confronted early human groups.

Same reason why you see Pyramids around the world, if you want to build a big impressive monument to show off your power, piling stuff up in pyramid shapes is the natural solution.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Um, it's how you make buildings that last with the materials you have at hand?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Im starting to believe that the history we have been lead to believe, is totally incorrect. There isnt even any mention of Giants in our history, and yet they are found all over North America. Sounds crazy I know. I cant help but think that many of the massive stone monuments may have been erected and built by a larger species, with more sophisticated tools. The precision that some of these stone structure have is undeniable, and would have needed great engineering skills, some of which cant even be achieved with the technology we have today. makes you wonder what the establishment is hiding, and why. Does it totally debunk the history being taught today. The Smithsonian is a Huge part of keeping a lot of this out of history books

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
the esoteric teachings, in all parts of the world, are very similar. The concepts are very similar, as well as the content. That said, not all content is shared across the globe (or, rather, not all concepts are shared similarly). But the same symbols are in use generally denoting the same things.

Why is this so? On one hand, there is something to be said for human minds being wired similarly, resulting in similar lines of thought. However, given the vast difference between eastern and western individuals (and their mindsets) on a cultural level....i am not so sure that this line of thought holds water.

Another explanation is that esoteric teachings are a throwback to older civilizations with a more global reach. It is entirely concievable that a post cataclysmic Earth would have oceans teeming with vortices and other dangers to a seafaring people. I would speculate that the influx of freshwater into the Atlantic created an ocean that was impassible, while the waters sought to homogenize.

But I think the 'secret teachings' are a vital clue. Their similarity, from Cuba to Egypt, makes it hard to believe otherwise for me.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Aliens, man!

ALIENS!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: Mads1987
I agree with the responses so far. Stone does last longer.

Stone does last longer, but I know of two ancient monuments not made of stone...

Woodhenge on Wikipedia
Woodhenge on English Heritage
Silbury Hill on Wikipedia
Silbury Hill

Not to mention the myriad hill forts that surround where I live, with some originating back a several thousand years.

To the OP. I think it's to do with population size and the advances in agriculture that supported a growing population.

Regards

just fyi, Woodhenge is nowt but postholes, the wooden poles are a reconstruction.

Chalk is also a rock

Chalk /ˈtʃɔːk/ is a soft, white, porous sedimentary rock, a form of limestone composed of the mineral calcite. Calcite is calcium carbonate or CaCO3. It forms under reasonably deep marine conditions from the gradual accumulation of minute calcite plates (coccoliths) shed from micro-organisms called coccolithophores

ETA: i see you point re woodhenge at the time it was built, apologies, i have internetitis tonight

edit on 29-12-2014 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: HanaDambi
Because they were bored & the internet didn't exists yet.

You might not be that wrong, consider a life of moving from one location to another and enjoying the varied diets at each. But this Eden wont last nothing does,Then arguments break out and a few go their own way and breed, in no time at all the Nomad lifestyle is under threat as they keep bumping into another tribe and compete for recourses. Then some bright spark decides that to make claim to a piece of land you grow your crops on it and raise the livestock that you would have originally hunted. "I then lay claim to this land because my ancestors are buried here" rather than unnamed bodies left along the nomad tracks.

But then to impresses this point, and drive it home, a temple to the Dead is built, that's guaranteed to make any pretender think about stealing the land, because being a superstitious lot, "If we took their land then their dead might not like it and they have people dressed in finery and chanting spells, the children are brought up to respect the dead, because if you don't they will not respect you and cause crops to fail and any many of hardships to befall you.

Then as civilisation gets more people the bigger these houses to the dead get, Westminster abbey, Greek Temples etc, the main obsession with humanity is the pesky problem of death. It always has been so and always will.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

i think they simply didn't need stone structures till they built them.

you can imagine there was not billions of humans on the planet more likely small pockets of human society as the human population rose the need for more solid and suitable habitats emerged.

i also agree that wars among tribes may have contributed to the advancement of the stone age as well as religion playing a part. but that's just my opinion

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   
When I am faced with the idea of stacking stone to make a pyramid, It seems feasible. When I start to realize the precision and function of the Great Pyramid; I am stopped in my tracks. It really does appear to be a large chemistry set. It seems like a machine. I wonder if Monoatomic Gold did in fact play a roll. Perhaps we are an engineered slave race built by aliens to mine gold. Maybe they needed gold in the monoatomic in order to transport or utilize the element.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Why did primitive humans begin building large stone structures?

Because they wanted to communicate with the future, with us.

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I agree with the responses so far. Stone does last longer.

But consider how long mankind have existed without building structures in stone - and then consider that all of the sudden we start independently around most of the planet - in the parts that were inhabited anyway.

I am not looking for any supernatural explanation. I just find it amazing.

Maybe they started building with stone once developed better methods for being able to work the stone -- e.g., the development of metal tools may have facilitated working with stone, and thus facilitated the use of stone as a construction material.

Why did we not use steel beams as a construction material until recently (the past 150 years)? The answer to that is that we developed methods to more easily produce the required steel beams in the past 150 years.

edit on 12/30/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Because of religion. The mightiness and eternity-ness of gods demanded mighty and long-lasting monuments.
edit on 31-12-2014 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage

Im unsure but consider there was various reasons such as

- stone lasts a long time in all weather conditions

Not very convincing reason, as the weather does not change all that much in the countries where the huge stone buildings were built. It was not the weather that the builders were worried about. In South America, no doubt it was all those frequent earthquakes that made them build cities with large, irregular blocks to maximise the chance of their survival. But this cannot have been the reason in countries where earthquakes are rare.

- large stone blocks could be used as sun dials

And wooden posts couldn't be?! Most of the ancient stone structures found in South America were not observatories like Stonehenge. And the builders certainly would not have gone to the trouble of building big just to make sundials!

- Granite stone appears to have unique resonance properties

That does not explain the crucial issue of why the building blocks were so LARGE

- to impress a friend a foe

Oh, come on! Let's be practical and sensible, shall we?

Im sure the list can be extended.

So far I have read here not one sensible reason why ancient stone buildings were so gargantuan. THAT's the point - not why they were hard granite but why, why, they were so huge and seemingly beyond the ability of people with simple tools to carve and erect. There seems to be no reason for all the extra effort and resources needed to build them. Their scale seems so redundant. Archaeologists still have no plausible explanation for the HUGENESS of the scale of ancient construction found all around the world. It seemed so pointless.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Because they didn't have TV !

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:45 AM
link   

I thought everyone learned the reason at a very early age. You haven't heard of The Big Bad Wolf? Stone structures were the obvious sociological result of numerous run-ins with this big winded villain.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

Also built roads, bridges, and aqueducts, organised food distribution, built baths, extensive medical knowledge, perfected concrete, and the arch, cannot think of anything else!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: pikestaff

built roads, bridges, and aqueducts,

Using slave labor and built so their armies and trade could move faster.

organised food distribution,

Only to benefit their own citizens. They taxed the hell out of everyone else.

built baths, extensive medical knowledge

But it only was of benefit to Roman citizens.

perfected concrete, and the arch

To build larger amphitheaters so that they could feed the subjugated peoples to the Lions or to kill each other for the entertainment of the citizens.

As I said, romanticized.

All was good if you were a citizen of Rome, if not, you lived or died on the whim of any passing Roman.

P

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   

To store grains you need masonry. To defend and secure a city or a nation, you need masonry. To move mountains, you need masonry.
edit on 1-1-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: ........

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join