It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Owning' Animals

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

When I had my snakes...I called them room mates.
I gave them water and food and just let them do what they wanted.
A lot of people couldn't wrap their head around that.

My female snake only bit one person...a girl who sat too close to me.
It turned out Stella (my female) had a jealousy issue.
LOL
She never broke skin or used teeth....it was just her way of saying,stay away from my meal ticket.
I never owned her though...I just let them be what they were.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah.

I would have to say I'm more of a "pet parent" as well.
Having had both real kids, and animal kids, lets face it, you have to teach them both, to get them to behave properly.
Except that in my opinion, animals are easier.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

What happened to your snakes? always fancied one but my cat....

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Some brick layers wrapped a diesel mixer with a tarp around my window and they were killed by carbon monoxide.
I was lucky I was helping someone move or I would have been dead as well.
I usually sleep on Saturdays...I was actually lucky.

My boss was pissed off that I went out to fight and they (the bricklayers) didn't come back for a week...I got in crap.
Nobody gave a crap and I had to bite the bullet.
Such is life.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Sorry about your snakes....

Some people have no respect for other animals and do not understand our loss when we lose them.
Like when a service user of mine killed her hamster and hid it...no one cared but I was searching the bins just in case it was just asleep
Gonna make a animal thread we can all cry to now

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

We adopted our little girls from a lady going through a foreclosure who had to rehome them. They've become part of the family.

My car is a possession. It needs periodic maintenance. My poms are little living beings who need love, attention and kindness. I've never been comfortable with the idea that I "own" living beings. I'm just a guardian for them.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Cheddarhead

That's how I feel about my girls. I even talk to them like they're kids lol

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

I agree the term and the fact bothers me greatly. People will say "he is part of the Family" but then they may sell him or "give him up" or "put him down".

We knew a couple who bought 2 young labs and because one scratched at the door they "had him put down", last time we spoke to those people they never even offer him to anyone first and he was an expense pup they paid for.

The I read the story of a guy who was lost in the jungle because the dumb guy thought he could just go on an adventure knowing nothing of the jungle, he was separated from his tiny little dog, Peanut whom he had raised from birth he said when his boat flipped over...he said how horrible it was to be without his best friend Peanut for company.

Well peanut as tiny as he was was smarter then said Man and made his way through the jungle alone for days and found the guy. Well he said all proud of himself, he realized after SEVEN measly days without food he had to EAT his best buddy Peanut! He ate him and then vomited it all up and then that same day came to a village!

It really makes me hate people as he was very proud of being courageous enough to eat the dog he called his best friend!!

I consider any animal that lives with us friends they care for us and we care for them we are equals.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

while i may say an animal is "mine" and that i "own it"

We say My Kids but not I own them.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cheddarhead
a reply to: Skid Mark

We adopted our little girls from a lady going through a foreclosure who had to rehome them. They've become part of the family.

My car is a possession. It needs periodic maintenance. My poms are little living beings who need love, attention and kindness. I've never been comfortable with the idea that I "own" living beings. I'm just a guardian for them.

I like the word "guardian" to describe the relationship. Thank you for suggesting that word.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
I think you are getting caught up in semantics. The word "owner" is more about our legal rights in regards to a pet or livestock than anything else. You can beat the hell out of your car, but not your cat. However, no one can legally steal your car or your cat.

Those semantics mean that the animals are property. That's the very point we find repellent. Because they're legally property, all kinds of horrible things can be done to them. Until very recently (and still in many places) you could beat the hell out of your cat. Even now, animal abuse is almost never seriously prosecuted.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

I've never met a human being as fine as a dog.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I had a somewhat similar thought. One day I came to realize that its rather insulting the way people are always saying "good boy/girl!" to their pets if, like me, they consider the animals they share their home with to be a part of their family.

If your dog or cat could suddenly fully understand what it is you are saying to them, they would probably be devastated when they came to realize the true nature of your relationship. You just don't talk like that to someone you love. It was ingrained into me from childhood, so I continued doing it with my own pets until i came to my own conclusion that it is demeaning. well, i try not to, and when i do, i realize the significance and that my loved ones deserve better than that.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I've never met a human being as fine as a dog.

Yes. I remember a quote i saw on one of those e-card things.
"When I walk down the street and see a dog, I immediately want to become friends. When I see a human, I look down and avoid eye contact and wait until they pass." It was something like that...

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

while i may say an animal is "mine" and that i "own it"

We say My Kids but not I own them.

well...i also refer to the place I work at as 'mine'. And exert ownership over the property at all times other than when its owner is on premises.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
My cats are my "kids". I consider them a part of the family. They are spoiled with lots of love and are treated very well.

As someone else said, its more like they own me. They are like the little bosses of the house. When they want something, there's no getting around it!
edit on 29-12-2014 by miss_sky because: eta

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Agreed, I only "own" my dog, in the sense that i am legally responsible for his welfare.

Hmmmm, by that reckoning, I must also own my children..LOL

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney
I gotta say, I don't feel entirely comfortable with the term 'owner' in terms of pets. It just seems messed up to me. You don't own another living being. I understand it's kind of like that, you usually pay for it, and then you get to keep him around. And I don't know of any other term to use. But, I do think there should be another term. I don't like it. Saying you 'own' another living being, like it's property. And don't misinterpret me, I am not at all a 'politically correct' person. In fact, many people would often find themselves offended by my sense of humor. Nonetheless, I do not really feel comfortable with this term. Not that it's a huge deal really or anything...just a general thought I've had...

Ummm.....yeah...that term would be...family...

Hope that helps...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   
My girls are so spoiled that they had their own pet cat. Is that weird? Anywho, they loved that cat. It was funny watching them all cuddle and play. The cat would knock stuff off my table for the pup to get into, too. That wasn't so funny.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
I don't view animal ownership & inanimate object ownership in the same manner. In my view, owning an animal is just a loose way of putting it. I personally view us as the caretakers of our 2 pets (currently one cat & a bird) And that is apt, we are caring for them & their needs. Hence, caretaker is quite appropriate when discussing animal ownership. We may own them on paper, but, as far as actually taking care of them, whatever the species, we are caretakers just as we are to other humans we tend to & such.
edit on 12/31/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join