It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reliable historical accounts of Jesus.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: Tangerine

Here we go again..

Okay, according to the gospel accounts Jesus ......

Get back to me when you learn what is meant by contemporaneous documentation.

posted on Jan, 3 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
a reply to: Entreri06

none

nothing is 100% verifiable unless one can time travel.

it is all a matter of faith

THANK YOU, THANK YU, THANK U. Now your talkin truth. Thank you. For once, a person with a head on their shoulders. I take a bow.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

Here we go again..

James and Jude were His half-brothers. How much closer do you need to get to the Man?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Here we go again..

James and Jude were His half-brothers. How much closer do you need to get to the Man?

What did James and Jude write mentioning Jesus? Oh, nothing. Thought so.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Here we go again..

The Book of James and the Book of Jude. (New Testament epistles)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Here we go again..

Yea, but almost every major church rejects their books.... So how can you consider them reliable when even most Christians don't?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

Here we go again..

Yea, but almost every major church rejects their books.... So how can you consider them reliable when even most Christians don't?

That's utterly nonsense.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Dude... why would Christians reject books that were apparently written by the siblings of Jesus?

Does that make sense to you?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

I could add what some people here seems to be unaware of. The two books (or epistles) by Jude and by James in question here, are ver much included in the Bible. These are not some apocrypha or uncanonised material.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: ...

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

This whole argument drives me nuts honestly...

I mean even Bart Ehrman says specifically YES Jesus did exist without a doubt...

Hes a prominent NT scholar who even quit Christianity... but he will not deny what is obvious to any historian

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Indeed. Any serious scholar admits Jesus was a historical person, in fact, a scholar would ruin his career claiming Jesus never existed. He might manage to sell a million books on Amazon and get rich, but claiming Jesus never existed is like claiming the Holocaust never happened. Utter fallacy. He would doubtfully be admitted to publish any of his research anywhere.
edit on 7-1-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: .........

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Akragon
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

This whole argument drives me nuts honestly...

I mean even Bart Ehrman says specifically YES Jesus did exist without a doubt...

Hes a prominent NT scholar who even quit Christianity... but he will not deny what is obvious to any historian

He is a hack employee by a presperterian seminary.

1:I seriously doubt he's not a Christian.

2: he is paid by a church as his full time job to teach history at Christian bible college.

3: his only claim to fame is that he claims " not be be a Christian, but the bibles completely accurate"! (See #2 and suprise he gets a job at a bible college! :p)

4: ROFL!!!!

Ya'll keep bringing this guy up like he's Richard Dawkins or bill mahr!!! LMAO
edit on 7-1-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   

3: his only claim to fame is that he claims " not be be a Christian, but the bibles completely accurate"! (See #2 and suprise he gets a job at a bible college! :p)

he claims " not be be a Christian, but the bibles completely accurate

You have no idea who he is or what he has said about the bible do you?

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Utnapisjtim

Indeed. Any serious scholar admits Jesus was a historical person, in fact, a scholar would ruin his career claiming Jesus never existed. He might manage to sell a million books on Amazon and get rich, but claiming Jesus never existed is like claiming the Holocaust never happened. Utter fallacy. He would doubtfully be admitted to publish any of his research anywhere.

www.rawstory.com...

rationalwiki.org...

www.reddit.com...

Christ Myth Theory

The Resurrection of Christ by Noel Coypel (1700)—Some myth theorists see this as a case of a dying-and-rising god.
Description Jesus of Nazareth never existed as a flesh and blood historical figure, but is simply a mythical or fictional character created by the early Christian community.
Early proponents
Charles François Dupuis (1742–1809)
Constantin-François Volney (1757–1820)

Richard Carlile (1790-1843)
Bruno Bauer (1809–1882)
Edwin Johnson (1842-1901)
Dutch Radical School (1880-1950)
Albert Kalthoff (1850–1906)
W. B. Smith (1850–1934)
J. M. Robertson (1856–1933)
Thomas Whittaker (1856-1935)
Arthur Drews (1865–1935)
Paul-Louis Couchoud (1879-1959)
Alvin Boyd Kuhn (1880–1963)
Modern proponents G. A. Wells, Christopher Hitchens, Tom Harpur, Michael Martin, Alvar Ellegård, Thomas L. Thompson, Thomas L. Brodie, Robert M. Price, Richard Carrier, Earl Doherty, D.M. Murdock,
Subjects Historical Jesus, Early Christianity, Ancient history

Hehe there's a list of people not all scholas but the vast majority!!

I'm not saying a lot do too. I'm saying it's not even close to what your portraying... Most of the modern theories think he was a mix of 3 people kinda like king author.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   

He is a hack employee by a presperterian seminary.

no... he is a former pastor... and currently the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

1:I seriously doubt he's not a Christian.

Doubt all you want... He abandoned his faith because of his issue with "Suffering"

he is paid by a church as his full time job to teach history at Christian bible college.

All you're doing is showing the world your ignorance... which of course is fine by me...

And clearly you know absolutely nothing about who he is or what hes written or even what he does...

4. ROFL!!!

Your ass is showing...

Ya'll keep bringing this guy up like he's Richard Dawkins or bill mahr!!! LMAO

Probably because he is one of the best New testament scholars out there... Unlike Christian scholars he looks for the reality of the New testament... from a critical position

unlike you... he knows what hes talking about far more so then Dawkins who is nothing more then an educated Atheist with a nice accent on a mission to get everyone in the world to believe in nothing but science...

Hmm... for some reason I thought you were someone else...

No matter... Read a little about the man you're bashing or shut it

edit on 7-1-2015 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Doubt all you want... He abandoned his faith because of his issue with "Suffering"

Lots of people have, most notably Templeton. But the existence of suffering doesn't mean there isn't a God. In fact, it's clear that suffering comes from NOT following the commands of God. Likewise, people draw the nearest to God during difficult times, not in times of health and wealth. Do you remember how churches were bursting at the seams here in the US right after 9/11? God is not interested in our comfort, He is interested in our character.

Socrates is considered one of the smartest and most logical persons to ever live. There was much more suffering and on a larger scale in his time, and that was no reason for him to doubt in the existence of "the deity" as he called Him.

Probably because he is one of the best New testament scholars out there...

Then why not quote what his mentor had to say about the New Testament? The man who he studied under for years, Dr. Bruce M. Metzger.

edit on 7-1-2015 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

he claims " not be be a Christian, but the bibles completely accurate

You have no idea who he is or what he has said about the bible do you?

Honestly no . I just googled him And his pic popped up with Professor at some persparterian seminary. That's all needed.... He's not an imparcial source from say Harvard or Yale or Columbia. Why would an impartial sorce be working at a seminary?
edit on 7-1-2015 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

In fact, it's clear that suffering comes from NOT following the commands of God.

LOL. You don't have kids do you? When you are "fruitful and multiply", that's when your suffering begins!

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:46 PM
link   

I tell you what. Take a few moments and watch one of his lectures then get back to me on if you think he is impartial or not.

posted on Jan, 7 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: NOTurTypical

In fact, it's clear that suffering comes from NOT following the commands of God.

LOL. You don't have kids do you? When you are "fruitful and multiply", that's when your suffering begins!

I have two. And I can relate to that most definitely. A month ago I had to run off my daughter's ex-boyfriend with my .45 ACP pointed in his face.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join