It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reliable historical accounts of Jesus.

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I believe in reincarnation.

Because of all the evidence, or because it allows you to believe
you are the only authority over the body and the life that you
have? And you can take life for granted and be absolutely thankless
to no one? Or maybe it's because secular society doesn't give a crap
if that's your faith? As long as their not threatened by it right?
How very passive? And what a cop out.

edit on Ram10115v112015u44 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

No I haven't read his book(s), but I observe how you have gone at least as far as to take a glance at its index. If you wrote three pages of something back then, you could wrap it up and call it a book. As for your main inquiry: The old books normally are. Book, in a corpus, in volumes, it's a booke. Just like Herodot's Histories. It's a book, a book of many books. The Bible, the very word means Book of Books. Even like the Zohar, it's a bleeding library of volumes, but it is still referred to as a book. Against Herecies is a book consisting of many books for crying out loud. Ah that felt good....
edit on 1-1-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: .........

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Utnapisjtim

Soooooooo, which of the volumes were you wanting me to re-read? I mean you could just answer the question about when Irenaeus was persecuting Gnostics. Because I can't find anything about him persecuting anyone after a search.

edit on 1-1-2015 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

All I know is his work is a theological machine that paved the way for the rather terrible persecutions of various religious minorities during the first few centuries after Jesus left the building. The Gnostics and later others were literally hunted down and either exiled or silenced in other ways, murder being one. Theology, or such trivialities like is jesus God or is he a god? Is he even a man, and was his mother a virgin or a maiden-- well this was serious and controversial-- and often bloody business back then, and the schisms of around the time of Irenaeus and later around the time of Nicea were devestating. Irenaeus is one of the loudest voices in the lit. fundamentalist terrorism waged against the religious minorities behind «The Gnostic Herecy».

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

The same could be said about Christianity and Jesus' sacrifice, it makes people feel like they can do whatever as long as they believe in Jesus.

You can believe in reincarnation and still be a truly good person, the idea of reincarnation isn't as dark and immoral as you seem to think. No one is left out with reincarnation, the majority are left out with Christianity.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

All I know is his work is a theological machine that paved the way for the rather terrible persecutions of various religious minorities.

Really? How is that his fault? That's like blaming Augustine for Auschwitz.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   

I get it. The Gulf War wasn't the burning bush's fault, it's not guns that kill, it's the people you give them to, fine. But the pen is mightier than the sword, and in the hand of a person like Irenaeus it turned out to be a weapon of wide and far-reaching destruction, since it defined early doctrine that later turned into Imperial Catholicism, once the bloodiest beast of them all.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

The same could be said about Christianity and Jesus' sacrifice, it makes people feel like they can do whatever as long as they believe in Jesus.

You can believe in reincarnation and still be a truly good person, the idea of reincarnation isn't as dark and immoral as you seem to think. No one is left out with reincarnation, the majority are left out with Christianity.

I agree with you. In Christianity, the worst child predators and murderers all go to heaven! They all discover Jesus in jail. So according to the bible they all get paradise. Mother Teresa who lost faith however, is burning in hell for all eternity!! How much sense does that make?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Because of all the evidence,

Because GOD revealed its truth to me.

or because it allows you to believe
have?

Who has authority over your body, Randolph? Are you a puppet, with either God or Satan yanking your strings? If you don't have authority over your body and your life, what will you be judged for, on that dreadful day?

And you can take life for granted and be absolutely thankless

LOL! Drama queen much? Those of us who believe in reincarnation, we, "The Born Again", are claiming our eternal nature, and celebrating "Eternity Now".

Happy New Year Randolph!

edit on 1-1-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Probably all of them, and toss in a copy of Eusebius' church history, another very influential character who was basically Constantine's right hand at Nicea and get a view of exactly how important Irenaeus and others were in regards to fighting the various religious schools often just referred to as heresies.
edit on 1-1-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: ...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Yes indeed Windord and here's to a better tomorrow on
planet earth my unhated nemesis. Drama queen was a bit
over the top don'tcha think?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I know exactly what you mean. But it's a crock of #### !

edit on Rpm10115v102015u07 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I know exactly what mean. But it's a crock of #### !

Actually how so? If your a child molester or murderer then all you gotta do is repent, confess then accept Jesus and your forgiven. For an atheist/ agnostic your stuck with it. For a Christian your just a baptism away from innocence.

IMHO this is the biggest contradiction in Christianity and the main "proof" it's a made up fairy tale. No one would want to live in a world (heaven) where you could rape and murder my child then be given an eternity in paradise because you said you were sorry and admitted it was wrong...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

All I know is his work is a theological machine that paved the way for the rather terrible persecutions of various religious minorities.

Really? How is that his fault? That's like blaming Augustine for Auschwitz.

Augustine can be blamed for many things, like the later Catholic "Just War Doctrine" for instance-- without which none of the crusades would have been possible. Or are you saying saint Augustine will somehow escape the eternal flames of Hell using his diplomatic carte blanche saints only visum? That must be the oldest joke in the book. Would you say Marx and Engels have nothing to do with China and the Soviet Union and all the crap that has happened in the name of Communism?
edit on 1-1-2015 by Utnapisjtim because: ...

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

The idea only seems plausible because you ignore the
abilities of one of the main characters of the belief.
Gods ability to know what's really in a persons heart
is just an atribute I myself would expect of God. So
you're wrong in all your perfect human knowledge and
capacity for understanding he who is a just God. You
can't fake your into Heaven brite one. I mean for reals?

edit on Rpm10115v24201500000023 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Then so was your example.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I believe in reincarnation.

No offense Randy but your comment comes off as an attack. Does the thought of people having different beliefs than you make you angry? Not to read too much into your words but you bring up feeling threatened. Do differing beliefs threaten you in some way?

Maybe I am reading into your words too much but your statement seems emotionally charged and I really wonder why.
edit on 1-1-2015 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Then so was my example what L1ght? Did you fall asleep
before you were finished, pressing enter with your forehead
as you nodded off? Your post is either vague for a reason or
just plain vague and void.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

Actually how so? If your a child molester or murderer then all you gotta do is repent, confess then accept Jesus and your forgiven. For an atheist/ agnostic your stuck with it. For a Christian your just a baptism away from innocence.

IMHO this is the biggest contradiction in Christianity and the main "proof" it's a made up fairy tale. No one would want to live in a world (heaven) where you could rape and murder my child then be given an eternity in paradise because you said you were sorry and admitted it was wrong...

Here's the problem...In a perfect world, everyone expects JUSTICE. This is true of all people, everywhere. If you want to debate this, I suggest debating with a wall, because there literally IS NO DEBATING it.

Now, defining justice is slightly more difficult. However, moving with your rapist/murderer example, what kind of justice should we expect? And how does rape/murder compare against something like adultery? Is any one particular "mistake" bigger or worse than the other? Is it fair to offer a second chance to someone who only just told a lie but not to someone who murdered a child? Whose standards are we measuring these opinions by? Who serves this justice? How?

IMO, if we were all punished immediately for every bad thing we ever did, there would be 900% more suffering in this world than there already is.

Let me ask you one other thing....
If you love someone...truly love them...What would you do for them? What would you overlook? Would you offer them second chances if they mess up? If you know they are imperfect would you love them still?

Love conquers all friend....Doesn't matter who you are or what mistakes you've made.
A2D

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

I thought Heaven was supposed to be perfect.

Yes, there's a big difference between adultery and murder/child molesting. I'd say it's up to the victim of the lie/crime to decide whether they should forgive it. The criminal justice system should not.

No, I wouldn't offer a second chance to a child molester or cold-blooded murderer, but that's just me.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join