It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reliable historical accounts of Jesus.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
What (if any) are the reliable historical accounts of Jesus, from either during his life or within the couple decades after?

Newsweek put out an article highlighting the contradictions and historical inaccuracies in the bible. So I was just wondering what Verifiable sources from that time we actually have.

Here's a link to the Newsweek article:

www.newsweek.com...

Thanks all
edit on 28-12-2014 by Entreri06 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

none
nothing is 100% verifiable unless one can time travel.
it is all a matter of faith

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Can you post the newsweek article link I would like to see that.

As far as your request for historical accounts you will not find that anything was documented during his lifetime. It was decades later before that happened and none were first person accounts.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I recalled this thread, which pertains to your inquiry.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Information, and arguments.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Edited the OP and added it.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
We can't even get reliable accounts of present times.
If you want to believe an account of a virgin giving birth to the child of the Creator of the universe who went on to rise from the grave, feel free.
Oh, yeah...Ezekiel...pics or it didn't happen.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ecapsretuo
I recalled this thread, which pertains to your inquiry.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Information, and arguments.

Not exactly what I'm after but thank you. I thought there was like an entry in an emporers diary about "the cristos" and also something from joesephus?

+5 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

As far as your request for historical accounts you will not find that anything was documented during his lifetime. It was decades later before that happened and none were first person accounts.

Yet we accept the historical accounts of Alexander the Great and no historical records of him exist except those written 400 years after he died.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

Yet we accept the historical accounts of Alexander the Great and no historical records of him exist except those written 400 years after he died.

To be fair no one is saying Alexander the Great was magic.....

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Entreri06

To be fair no one is saying Alexander the Great was magic.....

Are we talking about the Babylonian Talmuds then? They were a hostile-source historical attestation of Christ, and yet they didn't even deny His existence or His miracles, they just attributed them to magic and not Him being the Son of God.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Can you please cite the text from the "Babylonian Talmuds" in question?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Paul is the most reliable source... which pains me to say because I dislike his writing but historically it is solid evidence...

Paul met Peter and James personally... And calls James "the brother of the lord"...

We know factually Paul existed because we have his writing which is signed by the Author...

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I'd go out on a limb & say the Romans & Jews destroyed any records that pertained to Jesus.

It's conjecture & conspiratorial...
But I stand by it.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Bleh Newsweek has fallen pretty far to do an article like this...

Though it makes me wonder when or if they will do a piece on Islam for its main players that have less than accepted historical accounts.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
The apostles IMHO count, but what's the earliest know copy? Were there any copies from that time period that survived?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Bleh Newsweek has fallen pretty far to do an article like this...

Though it makes me wonder when or if they will do a piece on Islam for its main players that have less than accepted historical accounts.

Newsweek is only in the wrong if the article is false. If it's accurate then it should be required reading for anyone constdering Christianity....

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   

2nd century is the earliest copy of a copy of a copy we have...

There is no first century writing on the subject in existence...

Personally I believe most if not all were lost at Alexandra... but the Vatican might have some

And im sure there are also texts being held in private collections that will never be released to the public

Likely because they will change the face of Christianity forever... or completely destroy it

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   

You do realize that Alexander the Great claimed to be a descendant of the god Zeus right? Let me ask do you doubt Alexander's supernatural heritage in any way?

Let me say I think there was a person named Jesus or whatever the equivalent name of that time was who was killed crucified for his message and deeds. I don't really question that part but what I take issue with are the supernatural claims made about him.

Anyone who would question one but not the other must have their reasons however no one has made a sensible case to me why that may be.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

It's a hit piece pure and simple, if they had an ounce of journalistic integrity they would hit the inconsistencies in other major religions as well.

Like I said in another thread, it cool and acceptable to mock and tear down Christianity at this time.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Josephus is the only secular source to mention Jesus around the time he was alive. I wouldn't call it reliable though, he was employed by Rome, the people who benefited the most from Christianity. The winner writes history, Rome won and Josephus wrote their history for them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join