It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where's my ATS awards???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I while back I started a thread that proposed an interesting idea:

Is there any way that these contributors can be further rewarded for their outstanding achievements? and could ATS have an annual ceremony that acknowledges these members?

Think of it like the Oscars of ATS:

Best Grey Area thread

Best Political news thread

Best Fragile Earth thread

and so forth.

Can I give more than a flag?

I was expecting nothing but the sound of crickets but I did get some positive feedback, and Zaphod was kind enough to explain why this idea might not be possible:

At one point in time there was the WATS award (Way Above Top Secret) that was given to a member that continuously posted outstanding threads, and posts. It was voted on by other members, but IIRC it pretty much became a popularity contest.

That's where things could change. Perhaps the mods could have a round table vote, and the thread that gets the majority of the votes is declared the winner. And perhaps there could be a peoples choice award as well; where the members-not the mods-vote for their favorite thread as well. It's a win-win IMO.

My idea might be left field-but so was ATS when it first started. Is this a good idea or does it belong on the scrap heap?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I think it's an absolutely charming idea - but seeing how quickly new threads pop up and how extensive the back catalog is implementing such a novel idea might not be as easy or as fruitful as it sounds. I know very little of database design or how votes could be cast in a fair and balanced manner to objectively reflect the actual preferences of all who have voted because there's just such a massive wealth of informative and wonderful threads out there.

As it stands now, we are free to flag threads we find valuable, and that kinda serves the same function.

Cool idea though.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

Personally I think all counters should be set to zero. Wipe the slate, all are created equal.

Like General Eyes said, the rapid pace of new threads that become history in a day makes it obvious that people hardly look back to what someone else said. Just forward to what they are going to say about xyz.

Kind of Twittery…

Or old folk maybe relate to yesterdays newspaper and sporting events. Bygone…

join