It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does anyone know anything about rabbits?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I have a bunny. Does anyone know if its normal to feel the hip bones (I think its the hip bone). I know bunnies are lean animals but are they really that lean?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Is it eating well? if its off its food then perhaps a vet check, also different breeds of rabbits put weight on differently i seem to remember

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: krazykole27

The hip bones and the lower part of the backbone yes. What about the ribs? You shouldn't feel them too much. Also is the rabbit drinking enough as well as eating? Best bet is a vet to check out the bunny and see if it displaying other signs of illness or not.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I know two things about bunnies.
If they get 'wet bottom' (their rear end is smeared with wet fecal matter) you need to take them to a vet, or they will not be long for this world.

The other thing... They are not as tasty as squirrel, but still acceptable as a food source IMO.
ETA: Our pet dwarf bunny lasted 12 years.
edit on bu312014-12-28T10:55:32-06:0010America/ChicagoSun, 28 Dec 2014 10:55:32 -060010u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
honestly the only things i know about bunnies is how to catch and cook them, but i would say that feeling some hip bone shoulent be too much of a worry, most animals you can feel a bit of bone, if your worried though give it some raw oats or barley. but in all honesty its probably fine and i wouldent worry to much about it.

and to butcherguy, bunnie is much taster then squirrel if its prepped right, gotta soak it in milk! trust me amazing fried bunnie!

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
What age is it?
That small piece of info might help a little more.
if it is a year and a half old...I would worry,if it is 10 years old than the answer is right in front of you.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Any time you get a pet, look online for the care of that pet. There are tons of extremely informative sites, even forums where you can ask your question and have them answered by people who know about them.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I was thinking of breeding rabbits because they breed well, like rabbits! I know there's more to it but it does sound like a good idea to have meat. I'll look it up and do the research when and if I pursue it. Aquaponics is working for me quite nicely at the moment. I can always make hog and other traps if it ever came to survival.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Seems much too lean. He/she should be plump but not have what looks like a tire tube under his neck, ha, ha.

Give endless amounts of timothy hay. Endless amounts of water. They prefer cooler rather than hot (can't regulate their temperature). Bum should be clean. They eat their evening poops so don't worry if you see this. They need it for their digestive system or the rabbit WILL die. www.bio.miami.edu...

Keep sweets to a bare minimum, they have a super sweet tooth. Lots of fresh greens (2 cups a day or so) is always a nice treat. But NEVER ice burg lettuce (will kill them). Keep in a draft free place. Very social. Make sure to get rabbit pellets without the grains/seeds as those will just pack on the pounds.

Does bun sniffle or sneeze a lot? Could have an upper respiratory infection. But a lot of rabbits sneeze as is.

Not sure of your scope of rabbit exp. so just laid it all out to be on safe side.

edit on 28/12/14 by ccseagull because: typos

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Do we get to see a pic of the new bunny?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Yes please a photo of the bunny !

what is the name of the bunny?

normally bunnies have a good appetite. if it is alone without bunny friends or family, may be it is sad. look in the bunnies face, does it look happy?
a photo would help to give more infos.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
1) never turn a rabbit (bunny) on its back as it can break their backs or severely injure them.

2) rabbits (bunnies) need a variety of vegetables not just lettuce and rabbit feed. Carrot tops, turnip tops, Kale are all good for their diet.

3) Rabbits can be lean but normally should gain weight towards winter (int he Fall) and loose it by spring (during winter).

4) Rabbits (bunnies) need exercise so make sure they have plenty of running room.

We had a large gray lop eared rabbit for close to 15 years, a large breed actually, stood about 2 feet when on his hind legs. he was healthy and would have lived longer except one day a raccoon visited and killed him.

I also raised mini lops for a while they were papered high-breeds. Rabbits are great pets but they poop everywhere so vacuum everyday or at least every two days.

There are regular shots and vaccines they need so keep up their shots. Give them vitamins too

if your rabbit acts normally don't worry but if it is not eating and is limping or not moving take it to the vet.
edit on 28-12-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
a reply to: theinsolentfish

That sounds fantastic! You just brush it with milk and chuck it on? Or does it need to sit for some time?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
1. They aren't just cute like everybody supposes.

2. They've got them hoppy legs and twitchy, little noses.

3. And what's with all the carrots? What do they need such good eyesight for Anyway?!

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
seems like it may need a wee bit of weight. Timothy hay in copious amounts, make the pellets are not filled with filler and are fresh. I can't remember the right ratio of nutrients pellets need to be, but you can find that online. Don't scrimp on pellet food, buy the best to keep the bunny healthy. Not too many treats - carrot tops, kale, dandelion leaves -- occasionally a small bit of fruit for a treat. Make sure you keep the cage clean and watch for sores on the bottom of bunny's back feet/legs where it sits on. Make sure nails are trimmed (or they can slip on the hard floor if you let them run around the house) and also give them proper items to gnaw on as their teeth will grow and grow (but be careful of choking on splinters - buy appropriate items from the pet store). Had a bunny once - found it outside, some idiot must have set it loose. sweet thing. Kept him until he died from massive tumors. Miss the little guy.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I cant post a picture of him from my phone but my profile pic is Mr. Poppy. He isnt even a year old yet, only 8 months old. When we got him we were told he was a lion rabbit but we have searched in google for lion rabbit and they dont really look the same. Hes eating normally we give him a dish of rabbit food (it has alfalfa pellets carrot chunks soybeans peas all that stuff) once in the morning and once at night. We also fill his hay rack (with timothy hay. Sometimes we will mix bitanical hay in with the timothy) when we feed him. He also loves his kale, carrots, and corn husks (I feel bad cuz we cant get corn husks right now)but those three are his main favorites. I fill up his water every day - day and a half so I knowledge hes drinking it. Hes pretty sociable he doesn't like to cuddle but he will "groom" us and when he is out of his cage he is always running from couch to couch or doing binkies. Which is unbelievably adorable. Hes usually always a little cutie unless he's peeing on the couch or our blankets. We're still trying to litter train him. Stubborn little boy. He has a cardboard tube that he chews on a but he likes tp rolls better.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

The only bones we can feel are the hips and the lower back bone. Otherwise his ribs feel a little meaty. Not bare bone or anything.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
as a rabbit ages sometimes their teeth wont line up and then they grow fangs that will eventually circle their head. Have them checked regularly. a nibbling stick helps to keep their teeth trimmed. it is a non-poisonous piece of wood they can gnaw on.

Keep a water bottle or bowl readily available. if your Rabbit is in a pin make sure to keep the bedding fresh and dry or they will get sores on feet and belly.

their stool should be firm yet fall apart easily. if too hard then add fresh greens, too soft less greens and more pellets. They also nibble on nuts and dried berries just as if they were in the wild. Rabbits have instincs on food stuffs but like humans will gorge on stuff they like.

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
be careful letting him chew on those paper tubes, they are not made with the best of pulps and can cause constipation if he swallows any of it. also most of those tubes are made in china, need I say more.

sounds like he is ok if he is running or bouncing about

posted on Jan, 13 2015 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: krazykole27
a reply to: Dimithae

The only bones we can feel are the hips and the lower back bone. Otherwise his ribs feel a little meaty. Not bare bone or anything.

Don't turn him on his back it often injures Rabbits lower back, sacrum and hips. Kids like to do that. It sounds like he got injured in the lumbar area and he is healing from it. If he is healing up he will gain some weight back there.

new topics

top topics

join