It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to have your vehicle inspected where you live?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:34 AM
link   
a reply to: cody599

Hey Cody, do you own or operate a vehicle over 3 years old? your post makes it seem like a walk in the park!!!, example ..... my car failed an MOT because the bulbs in the indicators, although orange, were not orange enough, also ..... one light in a switch on the dashboard did not illuminate although the switch functioned as intended (Hazzard Warning Light Switch), All four corner lights on the vehicle flashed as required, but unfortunately the switch didn't flash.

Change the bulbs and get stung for more money on the re-test

Get Real, just saying

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:35 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

My driving instructor says that I am doing rather well, so it is certainly an element I should cogitate upon further.

Mind if I ask how old you are? I always associate you with the avatar (I have no idea if that's someone famous or you out having fun). I have this little tiny sneaking suspicion you aren't in the US.

When I was 15 it was standard practice to get a learner's permit and take a class in school to get your license. Where I grew up it was a little weird if you weren't licensed to drive by 18 (and really 17). I would say maybe 1 out of ten kids didn't have a license to drive by 18, and many had their own car at 16.

Where I grew up most families had a car for everyone that could drive, and if they didn't have that many cars the kids were allowed to take a car out when parents were home. Weekends were fun. I still feel bad for a certain Land Rover.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

I am indeed the fellow in the avatar image, and I am 29 years of age. I have left it a long time to get qualified in driving, I know, but since the insurance will be cheaper because I am not in my teens, and because I have wanted to avoid dealing with the paperwork for as long as possible, I figured it was a better option than jumping right into it.

I think that I made the right choice. I am much less impulsive and impatient than I was when I was eighteen, and I think I would have made a terrible driver back then. As things stand, I am comfortable behind the wheel, and happy with my progress toward the goal of learning to drive. Many people who take lessons, just want to pass the test and get on with it, but I want to become a well rounded driver, one who will not be added to the statistic of newly qualified drivers who have an accident in the first six months after passing.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I have a garage near me that inspects vehicles. I took my sisters car in to get inspected one time for her. Well it was three times, car was fine before i took it in. So i threw my code scanner on it because it failed.

Come to find out after three code clearing cycles, inspected the suspect part......the "mechanic" had plugged off the EGR exhaust gas recirculator port so it would throw codes.

The cheeky little frigger thought i was too stupid to figure it out and that i would have him "fix" it.

HAAAAAAAA

Second and third opinions are necessary sometimes.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I live in Pennsylvania in the USA.
My automobile is required by law to be inspected once annually.
My friends that live in the state of Maryland only have to have a car inspected when they purchase it. So they can buy a car and put 250,000 hard miles on it until the wheels are about to fall off AND LEGALLY DRIVE IT IN THE STATE OF PENNSYLVANIA WITHOUT BREAKING ANY LAW!

How am I getting equal representation under the law ? All other drivers should have to abide by the same laws that I do.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Hey Cody, do you own or operate a vehicle over 3 years old? your post makes it seem like a walk in the park!!!, example ..... my car failed an MOT because the bulbs in the indicators, although orange, were not orange enough, also ..... one light in a switch on the dashboard did not illuminate although the switch functioned as intended (Hazzard Warning Light Switch), All four corner lights on the vehicle flashed as required, but unfortunately the switch didn't flash.

Get Real, just saying

Firstly there are ways to communicate on ATS that are far more civil,

Secondly I did mention that the lights were indeed tested, if it has a light it is required to illuminate, yes even the numberplate lights, all of them. Anything less will result in failure. The cleverer people actually check their lights before the MOT and change the bulbs where necessary.

I have 2 cars that are both over 3 years old, my Mitsubishi GTO V6 twin turbo, and the wife's Mazda 2 1.5 sport.

I maintain them both to the best of my ability, anything that is beyond me a friend that is a mechanic does for me, at a reasonable rate.

Thanks for asking

Cody

ETA: A retest at my local MOT station is free, if repairs are carried out within 7 days

edit on 28/12/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
No vehicle inspections here in indiana. Yay us!
But I can't buy beer on Sunday, so I guess count your blessings...

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Annual inspection & emissions testing here. Not really a huge deal, if you have a decent mechanic's shop. You can take the vehicle in up to 3 months ahead of the stickers expiring so if the mechanic finds a few things you have time to deal with it.

I'm just as money-crunched as anyone but having everything mechanically sound brings me peace of mind. The check engine light here is quite a PITA and makes everyone both terrified and crazy. I had it happen just cause I got sloppy putting the gas cap back on after a fill-up. ( much cussing)

Finding a good mechanic shop is actually more important to me than finding a good Doctor......LOL!!!
Google has been my friend in finding out about different repairs before I blindly walk in and take a financial raping.
The guys at the auto parts store are also local hero's to a couple of us females!!

Here it's kind of normal to get parts from junkyards before even going for the aftermarket parts. If you can, headlights & such are obviously not happening....ROFL!!

The OP asked about people getting grief for using the AM parts....it's common practice after a accident for your insurance company to replace parts with the cheaper after market parts so, no it's not really an issue. In fact if people check their INS policies they'll find out it's right in there.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
No emission inspections in this area of Maryland where I live, but we do have to get a safety inspection in order to register a vehicle.The safety inspection is pretty strict and costs about $100 but it`s only a one time thing you don`t have to get it inspected every year.
edit on 28-12-2014 by Tardacus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Here in the UK you think you might get ripped off with an MOT just take it down to the local council test centre as they don't do repairs so theres no reason for them to fail anything but obviously you'll have to sort out your own repairs

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: corblimeyguvnor

Get Real, just saying

Just to be clear this is the law

If your vehicle fails it's MOT test ...

Should the vehicle fail, you will be issued with a VT3O Certificate stating the items causing the failure of the MOT test. Make sure that you are clear as to what rectification is required for a pass to be issued. In certain cases expert or special services may be required regarding emissions or welding.

There is no set time limit before a retest and it is at the discretion of the individual. Remember - a car that does not have as current MOT Certificate is not allowed to be used on the road except when going for repairs for an MOT test, or to a prearranged MOTtest.

MOT Retest Procedures and Fees...

If your vehicle fails it's MOT test and is left at the station it was originally tested in to be repaired, then no additional fee is charged for a retest. This is known as a Partial Re-Examination or Partial Retest.

Free Retest Items

If the failed vehicle is taken away but then brought back to the same test station and retested before the end of the next working day on one or more of the following items only then no fee is charged for a retest:

Partial Re-Examination Items - (No Additional Fee)

Bonnet Horn Sharp Edges

Bootlid Lamps Steering Wheel

Brake Pedal Antislip Loading Door Tailboard

Direction Indicators Mirrors Tailgate

Doors Rear Reflectors VIN

Dropsides Registration Plates Windscreen and Glass

Fuel Filler Cap Seat Belts Wipers and Washers

Hazard Warning Seats Wheels and Tyres

Source

Next time you tell me to "Get real" I suggest you do the minimum of research at least. If you're being stung for a retest, you should check it out. Just saying

Kind regards

Cody

edit on 28/12/14 by cody599 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Just emissions inspections? We have emissions and mechanical inspections every year where I live! We used to have mechanical inspections every 6 months years ago. We than had moronic politicians who felt the need for an emission inspections because some older cars , 70's and 80's vintage didn't have catalytic converters and in their wisdom felt they were the cause of climate change...(something on that order).

It's just another way for government to reap additional tax revenue through taxes and inspection stickers. I can understand making it illegal to drive around with a broken tailgate or head light, or a car that has a bumper or exhaust pipe dragging on the pavement, or a car that is held together with duct tape or has a broken front windshield, but to force people to repair their cars on a yearly basis is just another way of government getting involved in the lives of its citizens.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Pennsylvania you did. New Jersey too. Currently live in Florida and you dont. They should though. Half the cars on the road here wouldnt be anywhere else.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
No inspections here in South Australia although most of the other states have them i believe . Interestingly though i was pulled over at a random inspection point only yesterday . They were pulling over blocks of 5 cars at a time . Only the tyres and licence were checked although i guess they could hear if your exhaust was shot or breaks squeaked . The thing that stunned me though was there was no drug or alcohol test .

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh First I'm hearing of this. Didn't think I lived that far under my rock. Thanks for the heads up.

Since my inspection goes out one month before my tags are due, do I have to get tags early or pay for a one month inspection? Guess I'm about to head to the DPS and TxDot sites for some researchin' .

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1
a reply to: wwe9112

Is that just emissions? I'm pretty sure here if you spend $100 something on "trying to fix the problem" you get a waiver. The mechanics basically just charge you the price you have to pay, tell you what's wrong, and you don't actually have to fix it.

At least that used to be the case as far as I recall.

WV doesn't do emissions. I think I got ripped off lol. I'm not a vehicle person. I'm a PC tech lol. -_-.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Well that makes sense. What are lessons like over there?

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Well, you take your lessons in a specially adapted, dual controlled vehicle, which has two sets of brake and clutch pedals, one set for yourself in the drivers seat, and one set for the instructor in the footwell of the passenger seat. Your instructor comes up with a route that he or she would like you to drive, according to your individual ability level. For the first few lessons, as you are getting used to moving the car, your instructor will likely keep you on low traffic, residential streets. As you improve, they take you out further, on bigger roads, and with more traffic and higher speeds.

If at any time the learner gets into difficulty, or makes a move that could get them or the instructor, or a pedestrian or other road user killed, the instructor may reach over and take the wheel, and/or apply their foot brake or use their clutch pedal and the gear stick to correct any flaws in an emergency situation, but for the most part they let you get on with it and learn to correct yourself if the situation allows for it!

My instructor is just... Well he's just a total dude in the best possible way. He's a compact little fellow in a trilby with a foul mouth and a grand sense of humour! He was my sisters instructor, and she just passed a couple of weeks ago! We are all going over to his place at some point next year to binge watch old martial arts movies!

His laid back attitude puts you right at ease with what you have to do, and when you are as aware of the huge crushing weight of the responsibility of driving a car as I am, the danger it puts everyone in when you are in control of a ton and a half of metal, that chilled out manner is very helpful to a learner! The instructor will teach you maneouvres, how to judge distance using mirrors, how to park without bashing things up, and how to place yourself on the road, at junctions and in multi carriage way situations.

As a result of his tutelage, although I did not really want to start driving, I have become quite fond of the process, and I cannot wait to have my next lesson! I rather enjoy bumbling around town in a motor car now, or shooting off through the countryside to get to my cousins neck of the woods to pick her up for her lesson. That's always a fun drive, the winding roads and beautiful scenery flashing by as the pathetic little Nissan Micra chews up the asphalt underneath me.

What is the learning experience like where you are from?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join