It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have to have your vehicle inspected where you live?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I thought the only inspections that were ever done were just for emissions. It appears I was wrong. How much of a pain in the butt is it where you live?

WA state requires emissions in some areas, but not all. I never new anywhere else in the States had safety inspections.

I read through Virginia's inspection and it seems pretty straightforward and like it would be quick.

How involved do they get? Are they picky about aftermarket stuff?

Interested in other countries too.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1

i can have it inspected at the oil change place. The cost is $13, and they just check lights, brakes, horn, wiper, and tread depth.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I live in WV and it is a pain. Maybe I just get "stiffed" since I don't have a pony-tail. But I had a nice lifted truck and couldn't get it to pass for the life of me even when I had multiple CERTIFIED mechanics say it would pass and they couldn't figure out why it wouldn't pass. Everything they said that was wrong with it, wasn't bad on the vehicle. Eventually my main mechanic went with me and they passed it at that point. Perhaps me being young had something to do with it lol. Rumor has it the place likes to fail people with lifted trucks assuming most will go to that garage to get it"fixed" but I cannot validate that. I do know I didn't go there to get mine "fixed" lol. Now I have a brand new car -- I went in with 150 miles to get it inspected (once everything transfered from one state where I bought it, to WV where I live, the place down the road still "struggle-snuggled" my car as if something was going to fail on it -- it is completely base from the factory -_-.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
It's required here, but there are exceptions.

I use Classic Auto plates on my vehicle. Thanks to those I never need an inspection sticker again.

It's going to change in the coming year though. The state is doing away with the inspection sticker and combining it with the registration sticker. The inspection place will give you a receipt when your tags expire, and you take that to the tax office for your tags now.

Hopefully it won't change for me.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I live in Virginia and inspection takes about 15/20 minutes and costs $20 yearly. It's a $100 ticket if you fail to have your vehicle inspected and get pulled over for it. I know because I had to pay for one a few months back.

Here they just check your tires, lights, horn, windshield, etc. and slap a sticker on it. If you have things that fail or things added to your vehicle that make it fail then you will get a rejection sticker plastered on your windshield that gives you 15 days to correct the "fail" and have it reinspected.

As with anything there are places you can take your car that are not as strict as others. We have had tires pass that should not have because we took it where we knew they would pass it. But for the most part it is pretty strict because the sticker can be traced back to the shop that issued it... So letting things "ride" too often will cause that shop a huge headache and fines out the rear.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

That seems reasonable. Especially if an oil change place can just do it for you instead of having to go to some inspection place.

I actually think it's a very good idea to make sure people are driving a safe vehicle. Especially if it's that cheap and presumably quick.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: wwe9112

Is that just emissions? I'm pretty sure here if you spend $100 something on "trying to fix the problem" you get a waiver. The mechanics basically just charge you the price you have to pay, tell you what's wrong, and you don't actually have to fix it.

At least that used to be the case as far as I recall.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:48 AM
link   
About $29.99 here in Texas, and it's yearly. But, they are combining it into 1 sticker with the registration.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Missouri does it as well. Costs about $20 and most mechanics can do it if certified. Not too big a deal to have it done,so long as you don't wait till the end of the month when a lot of people are trying to get theirs done.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

In the UK ones vehicle must undergo yearly inspection to ensure that all of its particulars are in order. There is emissions testing, brakes, lights, and steering testing as far as I am aware, all of which have to be in order. I have not yet owned a vehicle of my own, but it is something I will have to get conversant with as time goes on. My driving instructor says that I am doing rather well, so it is certainly an element I should cogitate upon further.

Government guidelines say that for a four wheeled motor vehicle with between five and eight seats, a yearly inspection should cost £54 and some pence, plus any parts or labour costs associated with bringing the vehicle up to specification in the event of a test failure.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

You sound like a naughty kangaroo!

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I am, but that is for another thread.

Sometimes money is tight. What can I say lol? My brake light was out due to a wiring harness issue and not just a blown bulb. To have it inspected knowing it would fail would have been a waste of money. I took my chances on waiting until the part came in and lost... It happens.

As much as I wanted to be pissed... I couldn't.

Do you not have to have inspections?? I guess I ASSumed that everyone did. I suppose I will never learn my lesson on that while ASSuming conundrum.

originally posted by: Dimithae

Missouri does it as well. Costs about $20 and most mechanics can do it if certified. Not too big a deal to have it done,so long as you don't wait till the end of the month when a lot of people are trying to get theirs done.

I actually try to go almost a month before I go in on purpose. I then get a free month (in my mind at least). It's just my little way of sticking it to the man...

edit on 12/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Hawaii also requires a safety check for lights, windshield wipers, etc. It's about $20 and has to be done with a certified mechanic. I usually try to do my safety check and then head over to register it a month before it's all due in case I run into any problems.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

No inspections here, far as I know but haven't been in this area long, well kinda, but we do have just a wheel tax sticker here. 50 bucks yearly, to drive on FREE ROADS!!! Man this one really get's Me!! Really!? Tax Me to Drive, besides the TAX that is a license, and a TAX that is plates?? ( I looked into all this a few years back. It is UnConstitutional to Demand Plates and a license, unless You use the roads to make money on, like a cab, limo, Semi's, etc.... Such B.S.!!! We are free to own property (including vehicles), use them how We see fit, unless it interfere's with someone's right's, and use our property, (vehicles) on the roads in the conveyance of the day, be it horse and buggy, car', motorcycles, etc......) Yah I know, now the men in suits will pound on My door......

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I am going to remain without a vehicle.

Pay for a license, pay for car registration, pay for parking, pay for petrol, pay for inspections, etc etc.

What a load. Ive got legs and they are free !

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Here in NY, it's very strict... a check engine light will fail an inspection, even a wiper blade with a small cut in the rubber.

My car has a rogue check engine light that no one can figure out. Have spent over $3000 at different repair shops trying to make the check engine light go away, still no luck. Now my car remains off the road because it's past inspection due date. All because NY state says I can't drive it with a check engine light! And I can't find anyone that will buy the car so I had to buy a new one and keep this one in my garage. What a pain! I might end up scrapping it.

In previous years I just disconnected the battery to make the check engine light go off before it was inspected. But now recently this year, NY has upped their game and made it so your car has to be driven at least 100 miles after a battery reset to pass inspection. And before those 100 miles are up, my check engine light comes back on, so it's a fruitless endeavor now. In previous years, it worked fine to reset the battery, clear the phantom CEL, ands get it inspected before that sonnagun came back on.

And can't drive without a current inspection. NY state troopers , like nazi, are posted at every entrance to the highways and check if your inspections are up to date. If not, you get ticket and loss of drivers license...
edit on 28-12-2014 by WP4YT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

As True said we have an annual inspection on all cars from 3 years old. We call it the M.O.T.

What is included in the MOT test?

The test does not cover the general condition of the vehicle; it is a mechanical test of its roadworthiness.

The MOT certificate lasts for 12 months but it does not mean that the vehicle is necessarily roadworthy for a full 12 months as circumstances can change with all vehicles so don’t ignore any faults that develop.

MOT tests are also not an endorsement of a vehicle. For instance, as well as the condition of the vehicle, the test does not cover the engine, clutch or gear box. MOT tests only cover key legal requirements for a vehicle at the time of the test.

Items covered in a MOT test are:

1. Fuel system
2. Seatbelts
3. Exhaust system
4. Exhaust emissions
5. Doors
6. Mirrors
7. Brakes
8. Locks
9. Tyres
10. Wheels
11. Vehicle number plates
12. Lights
13. Horn
14. Windscreen wipers and washers
15. Windscreen
16. Steering
17. Suspension

Yep it's a real pain in the butt

Hope that helps answer your question

Cody

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
No inspections here in Michigan. Put plates and insurance on it and you can drive pretty much anything in any condition

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Domo1 Oklahoma, where I live does not require a state inspection at anytime. We simply register the vehicle. We get new tags once a year, or every other year. We do have to pay a excise tax when we purchase a vehicle.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch You must live in a place that has good public transportation. Or a small place that is easily trans versed in a short period of time. Good for you!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join