It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Missing Plane Air Asia

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537
a reply to: Rocker2013

Agreed, and I admit I am no expert on aviation or the technology, but as an outsider looking in, I just can't logically understand how this multi-billion dollar industry doesn't have better technology on board to track these planes...

This is undoubtedly a failure on their part. They haven't utilized technology in the way they could have to increase safety and recovery. There is no doubt that location systems are entirely plausible and have been for decades, the fact that we have not seen this advancement in aviation is more telling of the greed and inability to plan ahead of the corporations involved.

While they're spending billions on advanced tech for other areas of aviation, they've ignored one of the most basic things. But, as a previous poster mentioned, they are now working on it and rolling out systems, mainly because they've been forced into doing so.

I don't know if it's greed or error, but for some reason the technology wasn't developed and implemented when it should have been. I'm betting these corporations chose to spend money on gaining a competitive edge rather than safety. Then again, the public cries out for cheaper tickets, governments demand more efficiency, corporations need to turn a profit in an increasingly risky business... who is to blame when something like this is not done when it should have been?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

It might really be better but what I was trying to say is that it might as well be a "made up story"

We all know the conspiracies behind MH370 and MH17

I wouldn't Dare to say that I know what really happened to those flights because it still is a Mystery.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I'm not going to go back and forth on whether iPhone tracking technology is better/worse than transponders in a plane... It was a damn example people, not saying it was a perfect comparison but simply an example of what our technology can do today and it's crazy that aviation is still light years behind...

The airline industry NEEDS to work faster/harder to get their antiquated tracking technology up-to-date... Like I said earlier, there is zero reason why an airline in today's times should ever go missing and when one crashes, search crews should be able to identify the location immediately...

I understand that some of you enjoy arguing for the sake of arguing, but the point I'm attempting to get across is that this is totally unacceptable and changes NEED to be made.

I don't want to hear their "working on it" and it "takes time".. Those answers don't fly with me (no pun intended)... I'm sure the technology is there, but it just costs more than what the airlines are willing to pay just yet, so they instead move at a snails pace updating all these planes...
edit on 28-12-2014 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Because of the data points we have so far. If accurate, we know there were storms they tried to dodge. They apparently were seen on radar slow, and climbing.

That indicates to me they lost airspeed indications, and thought they were fast. Which indicates frozen pitot tubes, which we know happened in the past to Airbus aircraft.

This is speculation on my part, based on what has been said so far. We won't know for sure until the report is released.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I'm glad we have you in these forums.. you know what you're talking about and it's a breath of fresh air for sure!

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Airline travel is safer than it's ever been. Billions of people move by air in a year, and I can count the aircraft lost in the last two years almost on one hand.

Sorry, that was unnecessarily snippy.
edit on 12/28/2014 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

The FAA has been trying to upgrade to an open navigation/open architecture control system since the 90s. They haven't had an actual budget passed since before then so they can't do anything to fix it.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Airline travel is safer than it's ever been. Billions of people move by air in a year, and I can count the aircraft lost in the last two years almost on one hand.

Sorry, that was unnecessarily snippy.

No need to be sorry, I'm a few credits shy of my aviation degree and I'm attempting to have intelligent conversations with people who are well versed on the subject...

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Are pitot tubes the only way to determine the plane's airspeed? The plane can't link up with satellites to determine speed? The GPS app on my phone tracks my car's mph pretty accurately but airplanes rely on something as simple as a tube that can freeze up? Is it 2014 or 1814?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

This is true, the graph below shows that 2014 was actually the safest year for air travel in history.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
removed: double post
edit on 28/12/14 by angryhulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGoondockSaint

It's the most accurate. The same thing would happen if you lost the GPS signal for some reason. A combination of the two is best, but pitot tubes are actually pretty bulletproof. I think the Thales batch that froze up turned out to be a manufacturing problem.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Apologies if this is already posted. Now on page 17.

Family members of AirAsia passengers received BBM text

I came across this report that apparently family members of some passengers on AirAsia got a BBM text message from an unknown number saying that the plane made an emergency landing on/near an island in the Java Sea, and everyone is safe.

I originally found the info from infowars.com, so went digging further because, well...infowars. I found another source and it seems slightly more credible. Obviously nothing had been confirmed from what I can tell.

I could be wrong but did this not also happen to family members of MH370 passengers when it first disappeared?
edit on thpamSun, 28 Dec 2014 10:08:42 -0600k1412America/Chicago2808 by Sparkymedic because: apologies if duplication

edit on thpamSun, 28 Dec 2014 10:09:29 -0600k1412America/Chicago2809 by Sparkymedic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Sparkymedic

Yes. There were a number of similar texts then too

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001

originally posted by: angryhulk
A few people here are saying that "not everything can be found instantly, it takes time to find a plane", well I lost my iphone last year and using that simple bit of tech 'Find My Phone' I was able to track it to my friends house within minutes and recover it".

I get it, the scenario is a little different however, considering there are around 100 million iphones worldwide and most of which can be tracked instantly, and only around 30,000 planes I would expect that more time and effort would have been implemented into technology that enables you to track a plane. I bet most of the passengers on the plane have iphones aswell, which ironically we can track, better than the plane itself (apparently).

Of course, your iphone was in the midst of a dense network of microwave towers that need to be able to track individual phones in order to connect them. The airplane was hundreds of miles from the nearest radio tower, and was being tracked by a transponder that may only have been picked up by a single tracking station, making it possible to get a compass bearing but not an exact location. (Pings from two stations would be necessary for that.) It would then take time to organize a search party, which was probably delayed due to rough weather, which itself would make spotting any wreckage problematical.

It's not like walking down the street to pick up your phone at your friend's house.

Umm, yeah like I said 'more time and effort should be implemented into enabling us to track planes'. Smart a...

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Yes. There were a number of similar texts then too

So what ever came of the MH370 texts? Hoax? Still unverified?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

As far as I know they were determined to be a cruel prank by someone.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: EndOfDays77
Well I doubt that..the black box of the air France plane that was downed over the Atlantic concurred EMP was most likely the cause to those of that viewpoint,it is interesting how mh370 was never found as the black box would also indicate EMP, so I contend they left it be for that reason.

One wonders if 'they' will pretend to not know where it is again,or risk blowing open the can of worms about EMP,the risk of plane travel near/in certain areas (at certain times) and indeed Planet X.

This cannot be covered up for too long people won't buy it.a reply to: Soloprotocol

Absolutely wrong.

AirFrance 447 flat-stalled into the ocean as a result of a frozen pitot-tube and pilot inexperience.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: auroraaus
Can anyone check if there's a monsoon trough nearby??

It's always monsoon season in that area. They are on the equator so the sun is always directly overhead. Solar energy is a constant 2 kilowatts/square meter, so there are always thunderstorms in the afternoon.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGoondockSaint

Are pitot tubes the only way to determine the plane's airspeed? The plane can't link up with satellites to determine speed? The GPS app on my phone tracks my car's mph pretty accurately but airplanes rely on something as simple as a tube that can freeze up? Is it 2014 or 1814?
You may get ground speed by that method but not indicated airspeed, which is what keeps the plane flying. But it is better than not at all.

new topics

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join