It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Insomnia...It's back for me and it sucks!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Ambien is a hell of a drug.
Not sure how that is still around.

Cause like you said it can cause you to just have a lapse in time that you have no recollection of.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: MagesticEsoteric

The ear is scarred, but makes for a GREAT party conversation. LOL

Chicks dig scars you know?

I bet it does make for a great conversation.

I'd still like to hear the whole story.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   

I'd love to recommend prescription Ambien because it works. But I cannot because I am one of those people who would black out on it. I'd take it and be wide awake, totally stoned out my mind, and not remember a bit of it the next day. One day I might share the tale of how my last dance with Ambien ended up with my right ear ripped in half and me laughing hysterically about it - much to my ex-girlfriends exceptionally angry dismay.

I've only taken Ambien once. I had been awake for three days and a buddy, who's house I was spending the night at, gave me one. I peed in his trashcan and started making lasagna. I can't recommend it to anyone.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

That's another story that I'd like to hear about.

lasagna and urination.

Ambien induced.

Thanks but no thanks....I keep the insomnia, the dr.'s can keep the ambien.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Now I'm thinking back to 2003 trying to remember if I ever got yelled at by the ex for peeing in anything. LOL

Of course, being the responsible adult that I am, I'd forget that I took my Ambien after about fifteen minutes, so I'd remind myself to take my Ambien... and then forget. The ex started holding onto the pills but on the first night, after about two hours, she simply threw the bottle at me.

Oh and it also didn't help that I apparently like to wash the Ambien down with Crown and Coke.

Yup... That's why when people say "You seem so smart!" I counter with "Only on the surface...."

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Now I'm thinking back to 2003 trying to remember if I ever got yelled at by the ex for peeing in anything. LOL

Of course, being the responsible adult that I am, I'd forget that I took my Ambien after about fifteen minutes, so I'd remind myself to take my Ambien... and then forget. The ex started holding onto the pills but on the first night, after about two hours, she simply threw the bottle at me.

Oh and it also didn't help that I apparently like to wash the Ambien down with Crown and Coke.

Yup... That's why when people say "You seem so smart!" I counter with "Only on the surface...."

True Story:

Right after I got married, I discovered that my husband would rather pee in a milk jug rather than walk upstairs to the bathroom.
It took me about two weeks to discover that he was putting them under the kitchen SINK!

It has never happened since. I kind of freaked out....rightly so!

Crown and coke is enough all in it's own. That, mixed with ambien...I can't even imagine.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Listening to Nancy disgrace works for me. I record her shows and fall asleep 20 mins in. I never had a TV in my bedroom all my life. Had to get one just so I could sleep. Reading helps too. Or like the others say , alcohol.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Melatonin?
Works wonders for me.
Or get drunk

No, that causes drunk.

Only 2 weeks? Holy crap, try near 15 years.

All I can do, and I know you said dont, lol, is mindfulness meditation. if nothing else, it stops the racing thoughts.

or get drunk?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

The story of my life

For me a huge part of the issue is that thinking about the insomnia feeds into the insomnia. The more you think about it, the worse it gets, so the more you think about it, so the worse it gets.... ad infinitum.

My advice? Take a nice long, hot, shower or bath ( personal preference ) and focus upon thinking about nothing. Relax and accept it - you've got insomnia. Big deal. Look at it like it's just a speed bump and not a mountain.

If that fails, try watching a documentary about something that barely interests you. That puts me to sleep every time.

Exactly, that goes for so many things. Look at it, see how it appears, and not how it feels.

I had no idea you were so Buddhist, John

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagesticEsoteric

True Story:

Right after I got married, I discovered that my husband would rather pee in a milk jug rather than walk upstairs to the bathroom.
It took me about two weeks to discover that he was putting them under the kitchen SINK!

It has never happened since. I kind of freaked out....rightly so!

Crown and coke is enough all in it's own. That, mixed with ambien...I can't even imagine.

Milk Jugs??????

Sick...

So glad I have a window in here... Oo

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Welcome to the club. I have a very rare inoperable brain tumor, and one of the side effects are insomnia. I am very lucky if I manage to sleep 2 hours in a week. What keeps me going is 10 minute power naps once or twice a day. Dont stress about your sleeplessness, get a hobby that you can do whilst everybody else is asleep. Sometimes watching TV I fall asleep. Try meditation to calm your thoughts and you can experiment with binaural beats if you cant clear your mind. There are also relaxing CD's that you can listen too. Lots of esoteric thibgs around that can help you relax or fall asleep. If you cant sleep, try the meditative approach. That way your mind will stay frsh even if you cannot sleep. Dont go to bed if you dont feel sleepy. Nothing more frustrating rolling around in bed for hours.

I didn't ask, but do you have trouble falling asleep, or do you fall asleep and then wake and cannot fall asleep again, as they require different approaches. Have you made sure you dont suffer from sleep-apnea?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Hopefully this isn't against the T&C's....here goes!!

Regular bedtime and a low dose ativan. Sometimes with a muscle relaxer. Both are prescribed by my GP so no one freak out. I work & care take family members so am on a tight daily schedule. I really don't have time to play around with the bouts of insomnia.

Ambien did work for me but because SO reacts so badly to it I won't have it in the house. He like the other posters rambled around agitated all night, not remembering squat the next day, but would cook, do midnight electrical work...
we're lucky to be alive after some of those shenanigans!!!

You will obviously have to go see a Doc for this route, I found the easiest way to explain things was to remind my GP of his Intern days and the 100 hrs a week he pulled while being on call....it's not drug seeking if you have a legit need.
All I can say is it works for me with my schedule & responsibilities.

Melatonin gave me massive migraines, Valertian gave me outrageous acid reflux....benadryl worked for awhile, but wasn't reliable. I also found out thru trial & error that eating a late dinner kept me up, but some hot soup instead
helped me fall asleep.

One other thing was a godsend....get yourself a heated mattress pad!!
OMG!! at the end of a long day it's pure bliss!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
Melatonin works for me as well, as long as I remember to take it at a decent hour.

I'm definitely going to look into melatonin.

What do you consider a decent hour?

Well it depends on how early or late I want to get up in the morning. Sometimes it takes a while for it to kick in, so experiment and see what works best for you.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
a reply to: sn0rch
I like the racing thoughts. I have actually cultivated awareness of them. Good or bad? That's up to anyone's opinion, but that is where I get some of my best ideas. I usually get them when I'm first waking up and try to go back to sleep.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Melatonin works for me as well, as long as I remember to take it at a decent hour.

Well it depends on how early or late I want to get up in the morning. Sometimes it takes a while for it to kick in, so experiment and see what works best for you.

Will do.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Can you remember if anything significant happened right before you started to have trouble sleeping, perhaps something that has caused you anxiety before?

I've suffered with insomnia for a long time, I never drop off to sleep straight away even on a good night and occasionally I go through bouts of waking up after only a few hours.

The things that help me to sleep sound really silly, but I'll tell you anyway. Bedtime stories or a lullaby. I once had a friend record some stories for me and it worked brilliantly. Lullabies were a bit thin on the ground but I found a child's toy that played them and that worked too.

I like to walk at night and a short walk can help. Also, being warm enough in bed.

If your husband would indulge you, there are some silly games that help a person to drop off to sleep. Playing I SPy in the dark is a laugh. Also, the alphabet game. Pick a topic, such as who you would least like to be stuck in a lift with or what could you balance on your nose and take it in turns to go through the alphabet naming things. I suppose these games work because they relax one and the stress of being desperate to go to sleep is forgotten.

edit on 28-12-2014 by berenike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Okay, I bought a bottle of 3mg Melatonin today and I'm getting ready to take it. I really hope it works.

I've even gone so far as to take over my son's room in the basement. Reason being....there is very little morning light and minimal noise.

I can actually sleep in as long as my mind and body allow me to do so.

Wish me luck.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join