It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Lighter or more decadent Green Bean Casserole? Can't tell, anyways - yummy!

page: 1

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:50 PM
I tried this recipe this year.

On the one hand it's less "saucy", smothered or, for lack of a better term, it's generally fresher and "lighter" in texture than the classic green bean casserole recipe but...on the other hand, the ingredients for this are heavier, more decadent and generally yummier than the original.

You decide ATS.

1 1/2 lb fresh, trimmed French cut green beans

2 tbsp butter

1/4 cup all purpose flour

1 1/2 cups low or no fat milk

1/2 cup non-fat buttermilk

1 tbsp ranch dressing mix

2 tsp fresh chopped thyme

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1 tsp butter

1 package sliced baby bella mushrooms

1 cup fried onions

1/2 cup unseasoned panko breadcrumbs

2 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Parboil green beans 4 to 6 minutes, drain. Immerse in cold water to stop heating. Pat dry.

Melt 2 tbsp of butter without scorching. Whisk in flour and stir until smooth without scorching. Add in milk, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and add buttermilk, ranch dressing mix, thyme, salt and pepper. Set aside sauce.

In separate pan melt 1 tsp butter and sauté mushrooms on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes.

Toss mushrooms and drained green beans in sauce. Place in 13 x 9 inch glass casserole dish. Sprinkle mixture of fried onions, panko and diced plum tomatoes over green beans. Salt and pepper top of casserole lightly.

Bake at 350 for 25 to 30 minutes until bubbly and top is golden brown. Serve right away.

I got rave reviews, even from relatives that cling to the traditional recipe.

I wish I could take credit but I found the recipe in a 2011 Southern Living magazine.

edit on 12/27/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/27/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:46 PM
a reply to: kosmicjack

Green bean casserole is my absolute favorite holiday dish.

I love it more than the ham and turkey.

I'm going to flag this thread for the recipe. My father-in-law usually makes it but, maybe I'll do it this coming up Easter.

Dangit you made me hungry!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:33 PM
I'll give it a try, with just a few tweaks. There will be no low-fat anything, and instead of butter I'll probably use hog fat.
I put a wild hog in the freezer a couple weeks ago and got probably 20 pounds of fat trimmings.
I do like some good green been casserole.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:19 PM
That sounds good, my wife wouldn't want mushrooms though. Yet she uses cream of mushroom when she makes stuff

I'm not even going to question her about that kind of thing even though I can't understand why. Been married thirty years, I have learned not to talk about stuff like that.
The hard way of course.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:29 PM
Thanks KJ!
Believe it or not I was going to make green bean casserole for Christmas dinner but I thought it was too boring. I cooked 10 pounds of standing rib roast with thyme au jus that came out perfect and I wish l had your recipe to go with it!
Next year I'm gonna make it,

Know any awesome but unique cheesecake toppings?
I make a mean 3 berry cheesecake but need something new.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 10:33 PM
a reply to: rickymouse

Cream of mushroom soup really doesn't taste much like mushrooms to me, but you can't beat it for making casseroles or baked chicken dishes. The cream soups are pretty standard for adding flavor and moisture since Betty Crocker came out at least. My mother was always using it in something.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
yup, im making this

new topics

top topics