It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone else experience logins by unknown devices in China? (Gmail/Google account)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I don't check my email very often these days. A few minutes ago I decided to check my Gmail account and I was greeted with a message that said they (Google) blocked an attempted login from an unknown device. After a few clicks I came to this screen:

I've been using computers for the better part of 30 years, my first networked computer had a 14.4k modem and something like < 50mb of RAM...before that I was typing everything into a command line (Xtree, anyone?)...I mention all this to say I've been 'connected' for quite some time and I've never had any sort of security issue. My first thought was a certain controversial movie I watched on Christmas day may have been a tainted file, but the blocked login was 5 days before that and I was sufficiently cautious while obtaining the movie so that thought was quickly shot down.

Anyone?

edit on 12/27/2014 by ChaosComplex because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/27/2014 by ChaosComplex because: Apparently the forum doesn't play well with the ' < ' symbol

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

Do you have an android phone with your gmail a/c ?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:45 AM
link   
I had just checked my gmail about 20 minutes ago and was notified that someone in Germany was trying to access my acct.

I am in California.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

Do you have an android phone with your gmail a/c ?

I do, and upon further investigation I found a draft message with a link that I don't recall sending. At the bottom it say "Sent from my Evo 4G LTE", which is the correct model for the phone but I have it in my possession and it hasn't had service for over a year. I only connect it to my home WiFi and the networks at a few friends homes, and haven't done much more than basic surfing on that device...

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:59 AM
link   
I received one after I ordered some ecig batteries that I could only have shipped from china (discontinued here). Within 5 minutes I had an alert about my credit card (attempted charges over the amount I had on it, fortunately it was prepaid) and logins on my gmail account.

Once I changed the password I didn't have any other problem though. You should be fine if you change it.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Do you have a flashlight app on your phone because at least the top 10 are spyware that report back to China, Russia, and India.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

Do you have a flashlight app on your phone because at least the top 10 are spyware that report back to China, Russia, and India.

I have a "power bar" or "power toggle" thing that as far as I can remember came stock on the phone. It does include a control for the flashlight.

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
I received one after I ordered some ecig batteries that I could only have shipped from china (discontinued here). Within 5 minutes I had an alert about my credit card (attempted charges over the amount I had on it, fortunately it was prepaid) and logins on my gmail account.

Once I changed the password I didn't have any other problem though. You should be fine if you change it.

I like to use prepaid cards for online purchases. Might be a pain in the rear for some, but I'll figure out the amount of the purchase and just go load that amount plus 1 or 2 dollars. I feel like it helps to avoid the possible info breaches, not to mention I'm horrible with money...me and bank accounts don't get along. The first thing I did was change my password, now if only I could remember it in the morning...

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Nope .. though dont use gmail and rooted degoogled my tablet .. one of these days will get around to checking my email .. probably in year or two ..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   
I bought one of those cheap chinese smartphones when they first came out, and within a few hours of entering my gmail a/c for playstore, my email was hacked. But even the top brands are vulnerable. This is an article about security problems with Samsung's voice to text app.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I had this happen about 2 or 3 years ago. Google suggested I change my password and I did. No other problems from China, but that was where the invasion came from that time.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Same thing happened to me a few months ago, an ip from brazil tried to get access to my gmail account. changed the password and haven't had a problem since. My pass is also 9 digits with capitols and numbers too. Hard to guess
edit on 27/12/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
A few months ago my hotmail account was locked down because of too many failed login attempts, took a week to resolve with them , change my password and get back onto my email which I have had the same account for 10 years without this problem before.

On the same day my facebook account was also locked down because of unusual login locations, someone somehow got my password and logged in from Texas, USA and Shandong, China.

Luckily I use a slightly different password for everything.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

It's happened to me before - This is one of those times where Google spying on you is actually a good thing. Google did this to me when I tried to login to mail with a PSP (it claimed an unknown device was trying to connect, which my my PSP), and in general, they know the locations that you normally log in from.

Whenever I get those messages though, I usually reset the password (I have a password generator that I built, takes in a string with special characters, upper/lower case text, and numbers; I just tell it how many characters I want, and tell it which characters to exclude).

-fossilera

new topics

top topics

join