It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid of dying vs afaid of death.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:55 AM
link   
a reply to: sweets777

Show me a way to stop thinking that doesn't involve a bottle of hard liquor and I'm with ya man. I'd personally do anything to be one of those people who can just walk though life in an ignorance of bliss without giving anything a second thought. But unfortunately, some people are just far more complex than that.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I'm scared of dying but not death. I have a brain tumour and have heard that dying from one is a pretty grim experience. I will probably lose my ability to speak and remember faces, probably lose my site too. I'm not too afraid of death though. I have comforted myself with watching many Alan watts lectures that have put my mind at ease from the death part

edit on 27-12-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Over the years .. Ive been shot ..hit with shrapnell.. stabbed.. cut.. broken bones.. hit by cars.. poisoned .. and continued on .. have a high pain tolerance along with know how to block out pain and keep functioning. If it ever got to unbearable well.. then would take walk off into the jungle and become lunch for one of the tigers .. that day is far off .. I plan on living to 120 at least just to have the satisfaction of pissing on the graves of a few politicians ..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Lets save all the philosophical talk on death and just be honest about it. Its sucks big time. Anyone on this thread if given the opportunity to be immortal would grab on it no questions asked.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: AthlonSavage
Lets save all the philosophical talk on death and just be honest about it. Its sucks big time. Anyone on this thread if given the opportunity to be immortal would grab on it no questions asked.

Who gave you the idea that being immortal and to go on and on and on is such a great thing? I'm not aware of anything immortal in this universe. So if it's just you, it's going to be a pretty lonely experience
edit on 27-12-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

Nope ... after the first hundred years it would get boring as hell watching humans squable and butcher each other over the same pointless # and failed systems that theyve fought over for millenia ..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:05 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

ill pick a lonely experience over death any day or century for that matter

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Every man must face the end. Billions before you, billions after you. Were you scared before you were born?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Be careful what you wish for

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   

heres a story of one cursed soul

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

You mentioned being afraid of having trouble breathing. I have been there and done that. There is no fear, there is only your body struggling to take the next breath. I felt like I was along for the ride, but I was to involved to be afraid. I had a bad valve in my heart, so it did not matter how hard I breathed, my blood was just washing back and forth and little was getting oxygenated by my lungs. I struggled for about 12 hrs, and then due to having IV fluids, I began to drown. I was tired from the struggle, and as I began to go down for the count, any pain I had disappeared, and then I quit breathing. They were able to assist me and support me until I could dry out and so I didn't actually die. I can tell you there was no fear and no pain, just a great weariness.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: sweets777

sweets777,

I respect your right to your opinion, but I have to say, I disagree entirely. In my view the fact that there are people facing death of a thousand different kinds, all over the world, all of the time, means that to avoid considering it does them a dishonour. We should think of death, from time to time, not just in terms of our own mortality, but that of others. To fail to consider the plight of people other than oneself is a mark of a diseased mind.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavagedoes immortal mean you don't get any diseases? Or just that you never die?
You could be struck down with a stroke that leaves you incapable of communication or the ability to walk or MS or Parkinson's and you would be forced to live in eternity with these diseases. That's as close to an eternity in hell, just without the constant burning sensation

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

AthlonSavage,

I would not grasp the opportunity for immortality in the least. Not the way people tend to mean it these days anyway. I just want to live out my natural life, and for it to come to an end without my ever having the indignity of being incapable of maintaining my own existence. I have no interest in living beyond the natural span of years allotted to me, no interest in living watching generations around me perish, nor in being responsible for such an irresponsible use of resources, as would be represented by living beyond my natural lifetime.

The fact is that unless we live and die in sequence, the planet would become over populated with a quickness that would make the quaking fear mongers who rant about it these days literally fly apart at the seams with terror. I have no wish to be a part of such a foolish enterprise. Life can be a harrowing enough proposition, without the awful possibility of it never ending at all!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Immortal in how I see it means complete regeneration of ills, a sickness that comes and goes but never ends the life force.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr

Be careful what you wish for

That's just from the perspective from a person who already knows they'll inevitability grow frail and weak from disease or old age and then die a primitive death.

I would personally be more than happy to just live this life as a physically healthy 30 year old man for all of eternity, even if it means being completely alone. Just to observe humanity from the background and be able to witness where this occurrence that we call existence ends up leading to.

But no, instead I just have to face the reality that I and all 7 billion other souls on this earth must eventually face. We will leave this place as primitive life forms that never had the ability(nor the motivation) to control our own fates and obtain the ability to extend our lives for all of eternity. Even though it would be easily possible to achieve immortal life, if only we learnt how to work together as one and stopped just living our lives simply just for our own immediate needs.

Yeah that's right!!! You want some philosophy and a hit of the truth that nobody has the balls to talk about openly? Well there it is right there. We do have the ability to take control and advance ourselves into higher entities that no longer need to fear death. But at this stage in evolution, we are simply far to selfish and primitive!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

It was recorded by historians that Augustus, the first Roman emperor when asked his views on immortality replied
that a man cannot attain immortality but if he leads a life dedicated to searching for knowledge can attain a feeling of its state.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Well there is a difference between learning all one can while one remains bound to ones flesh, and determining that it would be a good idea to remain bound to that flesh for all time.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   

The decay of the flesh......You cant stay here forever.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa
But everything perishes, nothing lasts for ever. You would be left in a dead universe, with no earth, no life forms, nothing. Sounds to me like somes description of death.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join