It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afraid of dying vs afaid of death.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I am afraid of dying. This is because I am afraid of pain, and I am afraid of having trouble breathing, and just the whole messy scene of what should be done for me when I am sure to die is scary to me.

And then there is the other issue as to whether I am afraid of death. My answer is yes. If I was a believer that after we die, all we are is worm food, then I wouldn't fear death, because I would know that I am about to leave this tragic world and to enter nothingness. No pain, no memories, no fear, no nothing. No problem.

But since I suspect we go on in a conscious way, I am afraid of death. The religious apparently aren't, because their religion tells them that if they have faith, they will be rewarded with eternal heaven or something similar. But for the third group, the spiritual types who haven't fallen for the New Age crap, I suspect that they are as nervous as me when they face the prospect of the big D.

edit on 27-12-2014 by droid56 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Can't be scared of something you don't control.

I get torn with death, cause I do think it is more likely we are going to be worm food but at the same time I think we all have our time which kinda goes against that.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Can't be scared of something you can't control? The fact that you can't control it is part of the fear.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   

I guess because I have experienced losing loved ones since I was 14 (when my dad died), my best friend when I was 19 and my Mom when I was 24, plus others along the way in my 48 years that I have accepted death and I'm not afraid of dying

No I'm not an overly religious person, spiritual maybe but the thought of 'what' after dying never bothers me
Mainly because the ones I saw dying suffered severely before they went and Death was their friend, in my view

Bottom line.....Death is a part of Life
You just don't know how or when

And your mental state is all one has to be content with, whether or not one is Religious

The Peace within one's self

edit on 27-12-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I have still not overcome my dislike of pain.
Dying doesn't bother me. I have faced it with no fear.
It will be interesting to find that consciousness continues after the flesh is dead, but I'm comfortable with going into eternal sleep.
Cheers to the great adventure.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   

I am going to die , i am ok with that . The big question will be . Is the world a better place for me having been in it . I would like to think in some kind of minuscule kind of way . Yes
edit on 27-12-2014 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   
No fear of either .. nor any reason to fear dying or death .. better to spend ones time living ..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Why?
Change the things you can and don't worry about those that you can not.

I am humble enough to know that when death comes, I can't do much to stop it.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Maybe for some people the world is better because of them, but this world has become pretty bad in recent times, so I'm not sure how important this is other than on interpersonal level with family and friends.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
No fear of either .. nor any reason to fear dying or death .. better to spend ones time living ..

When death is causing pain and unpleasant situations, then you might change your opinion.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Meh changed my mind, doesn't really fit
edit on thSat, 27 Dec 2014 01:23:00 -0600America/Chicago1220140080 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:23 AM
link   

I am not religious, I do not believe in heaven. I do not know what happens after death, no freaking clue but it does not scare me. It excites me. In the name of science I am excited for death, how ever I am terrified of dying.

I do not think it's unnatural for you to fear dying, it's inherently painful and terrifying. All the senses one experiences, and the inevitable lack of sense is a scary thing. The Natural meaning of life is, to continue to live. It all boils down to this, I exist, i wish to continue to exist at all costs, I wish to continue my families existence at all costs, and by association my species.

Death is peaceful, it's dying that's terrible.

You are not alone in fearing the opposite of all that is our understanding of existence. Our purpose.
edit on 27-12-2014 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Can't be scared of something you don't control.

I get torn with death, cause I do think it is more likely we are going to be worm food but at the same time I think we all have our time which kinda goes against that.

Billions of people have done it before. It won't be that bad.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Perhaps particular to my own experience I found that the fear of death or dying had the paradoxical effect of making me afraid to "live".

For me - you too? - risk is what makes so many things worth doing. It focuses the mind, hones the body. And makes you ask the question "do I really want to do this?".

Once you replace the fear of death with the acceptance of it's inevitability life becomes much more interesting.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Billions of people have done it before. It won't be that bad.

Keep It Simple Stupid

Good thought process

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:37 AM
link   
The fact that billions have gone before us helps me feel a little better, but only just a little.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:45 AM
link   
As wild and strange as this may sound...There are those who have pre-birth memories, not of being in the womb, but before that. I may have only admitted this once in another thread at one time that I had such a memory. If I had not had the memory and heard it from someone else, I don't know if I would believe it, so I tend to keep it to myself. My memory is vague and I know there are others who have had similar experiences. So of course I believe that we go on after this existence. We existed before being born, we live our lives here and I believe that we must continue on. What would be the purpose of life to just one day cease to exist altogether?

The universe is vast and holds many mysteries and wonders. The one thing I fear is the pain before we die and leaving family and friends behind in sorrow and grief. We can hope for good meds to help ease the physical pain I guess. We fear the unknown and that is only natural.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
imo, a slow painful death would actually be better, because you get to a point where you are begging to die and become at peace with it. A sudden death, now that just seems horrible to me.

Try being in a position where your suddenly convinced your hearts about to give out or whatever (maybe because of something stupid you've done), now that's what I call fear! Your whole life flashing before your eyes at a thousand miles an hour, well you think to yourself "this can't be it, I'm just not ready", well you beg to some higher power, that you know full well doesn't exist to just give you a second chance. Not cool!

But, when the revelation of the fact that I'm going to die eventually enters my thoughts, and that it almost definitely won't be pretty (either way you cut it). I just think to myself, come on dude, man up. Even little kids have to go though this reality every single day! It actually does make it feel far less scary.

It's just hospitals that do my head in, lol. Every time I have ended up there (just to get some stitches, or whatever) I end up having a huge panic attack. It's like, I know I'm just some primitive animal who's going to spend my last days being chopped up, lying in my own filth, but do I really have to be here being reminded of it?

lol, anyway, might as well just laugh it off. Because it's something that every single person who has ever been born to this earth has to deal with eventually.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:24 AM
link   

I do not fear death as much as I fear frailty. I do not fear death as much as I fear powerlessness. The Reaper will take me as he takes us all, this I do not fear. I fear not being able to knock a couple of his teeth down his throat as I pass through his arc of responsibility though.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:42 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I would say unless your sick stop thinking about it.
And if you do get sick.... ..at least you wont have all the time in the world to think about it.
And third stop thinking about it because there are people who are sick today and dying right now
and i doubt they are thinking of anything else and are scared ....right now .
So thinking about death is insulting to the people who are facing it .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join