It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow falls in Uk. Travel chaos...zzz

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Cheshire Police said conditions on some roads were "treacherous", while Staffordshire Police tweeted: "Please only travel tonight if necessary"

The Met Office said on Friday that 10cm (4in) of snow had fallen in Leek, Staffordshire

Flights into Liverpool Airport were diverted to Manchester on Friday while snow was cleared and Leeds Bradford Airport was closed on Friday evening

Snow also created difficult conditions at football matches, including in the West Midlands where West Bromwich Albion took on Manchester City

Weather warnings remain in place, along with a "cold weather alert" meaning the cold could put vulnerable people at risk
www.bbc.co.uk...

Anyone thinking of invading Britain, don't concern yourself with missiles, air raids, etc.

Just wait for a cold snap in winter.

Or, if you can't wait that long, just build a really big snow-making machine.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
I had Nightshift in the Netherlands , started raining around 01:00 , then the snow started around 03:00 with almost a horizontal blizzard , around 06:00 trailers where unable to get out of the docking pits at my work , the trip home normally takes 10 minutes , now 45 minutes because the trucks where unable to get off the Industrial area since the only way out is a up ramp , quite steep , so they had to fool around to get up top.

Even though heavy snow was reported already yesterday morning , the snow trucks did not show up till around 07:00 morning local time.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TheGreazel

We tend to have to wait about four days for gritters and snow removal machinery to arrive if it snows in my area. We are not considered a priority because our postcode does not make a lot of money. That is not the official line of course, but it is how it has always been around these parts!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Loved it!!!!

It was oncy day at work yesterday and as dressed as a monkey (what did you expect?) we finished work at 10pm then all the staff all played in the snow, I opened a bottle of fizz, watched all the young lasses run about dressed as various animals,shared the fizz, taxi rang and told me they couldn't get to me and then one amazing young lass ferried us all home.
So I got home at 12:30 but had such a good time.
Plus we are on a big hill and we were cheering all the cars on who attempted to get up it.
Plus today is my official Xmas day due to work and it is a white Christmas

Yo Ho Ho all Merry Xmas!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Moring Mr True Brit...What parts are you in....

purp..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Every year its the same. The authorities are caught with their pants down, and promise they'll be on top next year but never are. The rest of Europe manages through significantly worse conditions, so why cant we? Oh yeah, cuts, corruption, and incompetence. That's why.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
The only chaos Ive had today is that I've worn the wrong boots for work here in Essex we had a shed load of rain. The boots I'm wearing have a few holes in the bottom of the boots .. Yay wet feet

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I am in Sydney Australia and i have never seen snow

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:14 AM
link   
a reply to: bellagirl

:O

Poor girl
I hope one day your wish comes true.
I have seen people witness snow for the first time and it is magical.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Your snow story make me laugh! It sounded a fun day! And I hope you enjoy your day today!

We ( Staffordshire) had a bit of snow last night, which is still there this morning, but we're only a small village, so don't see gritters much, let alone any sort of snow plough. We just get on with things. My 6 year old is gutted there is not enough to make a snowman.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Difficult issue.

Some background - for the past 5 years (not this year!!) I've been helping to run a local authority gritting operation, and contributed to one as part of another job some 15 years back.

There is a very delicate balance between spending the money of mobilising a gritting fleet, with associated manpower and machinery costs - most of which is always done on overtime - and the uncertainties of the weather forecasting when taking into account local conditions.

You see, a week out, a forecast is no good. 3 days out its better but only gives a vague idea. 24 hours out is even better still BUT conditions can and do change rapidly. At this time of year most local authorities will be getting at least morning and afternoon updates, with other local updates coming in as needed and even then local road surface temperatures are different at differing elevations/different local conditions and topography. The weather here in the UK is massively unpredictable sometimes.

Usually authorities grit when the road surface temperature (RST) is likely to be 0 degrees for an extended period - the Highways Agency (responsible for Motorways and some A Roads, grit on +1 degrees).

I had a situation a couple of years back when we did a 4am grit, followed by immediate snowfall which we were expecting and the gritting operation covered, followed by a band of rain which washed the grit off (caused by a pocket of warmer air), followed by a band of clear sky that caused the surfaces to flash over and freeze, immediately followed by a band of heavy snowfall - total time for all that was about 2 hours and the result was the worst possible conditions at 6am during the start of rush hour. We turned the crews round and sent them back out when we realised what was happening but the turn round is an hour, and by that time the gritters themselves got caught up in traffic build up and the associated problems of trying to clear routes where people had already abandoned cars etc. Then, to add to our woes it snowed heavily again.

We followed that up with repeat operations over the next 48 hours by which time a lot of the drivers were on mandatory stand down for driving regs.

Its not easy to deal with. Its very very easy to criticise the response though and actually people should be praising the guys driving 15 tonne+ gritting machines in atrocious conditions in the middle of the night usually. In my time doing the work I've known one driver killed and four seriously injured.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Pffft in Scotland we see gritters out just about every night but when it actualy does drop below zero or theres snow, nope, not a gritter in sight.

Pretty sure its just the council blowin its budget on fuel and OT.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

I am in Essex, on the very coast of the Thames Estuary in fact.

We have had no snow as of yet here this year, but in years past our little corner of the county has been largely ignored by gritters and so on. Despite the fact that the Fenchurch Street and Liverpool Street lines come to their end here, and despite the fact that we have a fair number of industrial estates, not to mention a military testing range in our town, we always see snow related council assistance last!

Just to add, this is the reason I learned what is necessary to survive cold weather. When there is no gritting service, you have to march three miles through a 40mph blizzard for a pint with your friends, and nothing stops me getting an ale down my neck!

edit on 27-12-2014 by TrueBrit because: Added detail.

edit on 27-12-2014 by TrueBrit because: Grammatical error removed.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
My mate works for the highways agency and they've still got a full stock of grit from last year down here in West Sussexcestershire.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Ainley Top was bad last night in west yorks, in Huddersfield we got about 5 inch in an hour but up there they got about a foot and a half.
Saw a gritter attempting to get up a hill lol.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Heh!

That is the main problem with gritters in areas where there is a significant incline. They have to be heavy enough to carry the load, but if they lack the grunt and the grip to make it up a hill, they can cause more chaos than they solve! Imagine if one of those things was to totally loose traction and go into an uncontrolled rearward slide!

You would not want to be in the queue behind it!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

Well I am down near you atm.. I live in the western isles (scotland) but i am visiting folks in Kent now. Nothing like the incentive of a pint to get you through a snow storm..

all the best for the coming year...

purp..

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Blimey where you stated where you were from .. You must be one of my neighbours. I'm pretty much on the estuary, the fenchurch line is my line .. I'm just after the Grays/tilbury area .. Sod it I'm in Basildon

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker

Ah ha! Shoeburyness in the Borough of Southend-On-Sea here!

Bloody hell, who'da thunk it?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: purplemer

And to you too purp!

Yes, there are few things that can stop me getting together with my people, and quaffing beverages in the manner to which my ancestors were accustomed, and weather certainly is not amongst those few!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join