It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Foot-Long Insect Discovered In Vietnam

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Wow, some people get to see them all the time. I have only seen one in my entire life.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ridhya
I kept stickbugs in an aquarium when I was little. You would start with one and end up with a hundred. They were asexual.

They'd escape and i'd hear things scratching around my room at night, and find little guys on brightly coloured objects swaying pretending to be a stick in the wind.

They say they're like locusts, multiply easily and voracious for vegetation. That's why there's a warning with any sale not to release. You can hardly tell the difference between their poop and viable eggs though so if they were that dangerous, I wouldn't have any shrubs or grass.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

You probably have seen more and just didn't realize it

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I love posts like this. Imagine how cool it would be to go on adventures finding new life and meeting different people around the world. I wish my life would have allowed me to gain these perspectives. I have an abundance of love for anything living.

So many natural wonders waiting to be discovered and thankfully people willing to find them......Bravo.....Bravo.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these creatures have been hacked up with machetes as they made their way through the jungle trying to find one.. lmao XD It's a fair sized target afterall lol

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

You probably have seen more and just didn't realize it

That's true. LOL

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

Ummm...cool...I have walking sticks that thrive on my property every year...along with praying mantis's and Luna moths...

Although TBH...the walking sticks at my place only get about 6" to 8" long...

Too cool...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
For the alien/god believers, i wonder if there is continual species renewal even now. Evolution is relatively slow but new species pop up daily. Yes, there is still much to explore but that does not mean that there isn't something introducing new editions to further support the degrading ecosystem.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was obsessed with bugs when I was little, tons of books and knew everything. And amphibians and reptiles... the cooler the cuter, I didnt care for big fluffy things. I was ecstatic that my grade 4 teacher had them. She fed them the abundant blackberry bushes taking over the school. I took the big ones out (4-5 inches) to impress people

a reply to: StoutBroux
This variety at least were all female, asexual. As soon as they get above half max size (a few weeks) they can have babies. They were rife for population explosion, and they'd eat out the entire aquarium and start dying like cult members. I couldnt keep up with their numbers and eventually felt it was cruel and got rid of them. Im pretty sure I released them into the blackberry bushes, but as they're tropical they would have died off in the climate pretty quick.

All this talk makes me miss them

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
It's amazing that we are finding all these new species even as we are verging on destroying all their habitat and sending them to extinction.

Have you been to Vietnam? Is their habitat really about to be destroyed? Agenda IMHO.
edit on 12/28/2014 by Finalized because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80
We spent a lot of time in the woods growing up, that was our entertainment. I used to see these all the time. Some small ones and some not so small. We however called them Walking Sticks. I also have seen some pretty big hornets, couple three inches long.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join