It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophysicist angers Christians with Christmas tweet

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

and christianity certainly does not have a monopoly on 25th december [ a date they hijacked ]

What??

The Christians definitely have a monopoly on December the 25th.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: DJW001
The angry reaction to this joke proves Christians and Muslims have more in common than they think.

I must have missed the part where Tyson was beheaded by the Christians.....

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical

originally posted by: Entreri06

originally posted by: ttropia
I, my self, claim Christ. The only offensive part to me is my fellow believers getting offended at a rather funny tweet. Grow up already!
I doubt the great creator was offended. We do have the Tumble Bug, I bet the creator even giggled at the tweet.

I'm a Christian also and don't care, Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. It was September 29th in 2 B.C.
Lmao no one including you nor Emperor Constantine had any idea what day Jesus was born.... It was 400 years later by the time Christianity was a full fledged religion and there were no cell phones to keep up with the date. All culture celebrated the winter solstice so they decided to celebrate it that day... No one ever claimed to have any clue what day he was actually born.

No, it is actually easy to figure out if one does their homework. The idea He was born on December 25th was an invention of the RCC.

No it's not... The only reliable source from Jesus's life was the roman one refering to "the cristos". So you can pin point when he was here, but not when he was born.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:25 AM
link   
DeadSeraph:

Whats ironic is that Newton was a devout Christian.

Oh, was he? On what do you base your assumption? Where's your evidence that Newton was a 'devout Christian'? I can tell you now that Newton was most certainly not a devout Christian, he was a Socinian sympathizer, and wholly disagreed with orthodox Christian dogma.

What Newton did do was to present a facade of being a devout Christian so that he would not be persecuted for the work he was doing. Newton refused to take holy orders, and on his death bed refused the sacrament. If anything Newton was a Deist, even though he was much earlier than the Enlightenment and the emergence of Deists, but his belief system correlated to Deism.

His starting point, due to the period in which he lived, was a belief in God, but not that which was and is depicted by Christianity.Christianity needed Newton, but Newton didn't need Christianity, his work was wholly antithetical to it.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04 I find it curious that anyone on ATS would believe any religious doctrine. I was under the impression this was a place for logical, critically thinking and educated people. Why would anyone believe something which has no credible evidence, and makes ridiculous claims like talking animals. You cant be logical and be a theist, they soundly contradict one another.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anubis259
a reply to: OccamsRazor04 I find it curious that anyone on ATS would believe any religious doctrine. I was under the impression this was a place for logical, critically thinking and educated people.

I'm afraid when it comes to politics and religion all logic goes out of the window here

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
DeadSeraph:

Whats ironic is that Newton was a devout Christian.

Oh, was he? On what do you base your assumption? Where's your evidence that Newton was a 'devout Christian'? I can tell you now that Newton was most certainly not a devout Christian, he was a Socinian sympathizer, and wholly disagreed with orthodox Christian dogma.

What Newton did do was to present a facade of being a devout Christian so that he would not be persecuted for the work he was doing. Newton refused to take holy orders, and on his death bed refused the sacrament. If anything Newton was a Deist, even though he was much earlier than the Enlightenment and the emergence of Deists, but his belief system correlated to Deism.

His starting point, due to the period in which he lived, was a belief in God, but not that which was and is depicted by Christianity.Christianity needed Newton, but Newton didn't need Christianity, his work was wholly antithetical to it.

It's not an assumption. There are entire volumes of letters and diaries personally penned by Newton himself in which he muses on his interpretations of Christian theology. Claiming he had some disagreements with catholic orthodoxy made him a non-christian is ridiculous. You have zero proof for your assertion Newton presented a "facade" to avoid persecution. If you do, kindly present it so the rest of the world can get in on your secret. It's widely known he spent decades of his life trying to predict the year of the second coming of Christ.

Try again, troll.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   
a reply to: NthOther No their purpose is to convince the world of what's evidently true. Your offence to what they have said is a product of their success. Your need to ridicule with anger and insult rather than providing comment to the contrary, only helps their case. Jesus is so far classed as fictional, not historical. To compare him to Newton is futile. Besides Gandalf is way more epic than Jesus.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

a reply to: NthOther Jesus is so far classed as fictional, not historical.

By whom? You?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph By anyone who understands the concept of historical and what requirements must be met to be considered a historical person. The person must exist within historical evidence. A single book which contains improbable claims like talking animals is not sufficient.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: DeadSeraph
It's no secret that scientists have been persecuted throughout history by christians. I imagine Newton was doing his best not to be burnt at the stake, by those easily offended all loving christians

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

I know a number of folks that voted for that nitwit twice and we're very vocal about it.

Ttropia was right if you want to start fixing things we need people to sit down and talk, not politicians, news men, or reporters but people.

Sorry I've spiraled way off course I'll let it go now.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Failing to mention a religious idol is not offensive. Credit to him for celebrating someone who actually did some good for the human race. Religion and reverence is not mandatory, regardless of the beliefs of others.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I doubt Neil knows enough about Newton to know how serious a Christian Newton actually was. He probably also does not know that a major investment of Newtons was with the South Seas Company, whose main business was shipping slaves from Africa. Neil gets the "Big-Head" (smart ass) attitude a little too often to be considered a really intelligent man.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

as Seraph said there are books, letters, and papers he wrote and the same from people he knew that wrote of his beliefs.
if you have any sources that state to the contrary , then post them.

edit on 28-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: ttropia
I, my self, claim Christ. The only offensive part to me is my fellow believers getting offended at a rather funny tweet. Grow up already!
I doubt the great creator was offended. We do have the Tumble Bug, I bet the creator even giggled at the tweet.

I'm a Christian also and don't care, Jesus wasn't born on December 25th. It was September 29th in 2 B.C.
Lmao no one including you nor Emperor Constantine had any idea what day Jesus was born.... It was 400 years later by the time Christianity was a full fledged religion and there were no cell phones to keep up with the date. All culture celebrated the winter solstice so they decided to celebrate it that day... No one ever claimed to have any clue what day he was actually born.

No, it is actually easy to figure out if one does their homework. The idea He was born on December 25th was an invention of the RCC.

No it's not... The only reliable source from Jesus's life was the roman one refering to "the cristos". So you can pin point when he was here, but not when he was born.

100% wrong..

Linky

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

a reply to: OccamsRazor04 I find it curious that anyone on ATS would believe any religious doctrine. I was under the impression this was a place for logical, critically thinking and educated people. Why would anyone believe something which has no credible evidence, and makes ridiculous claims like talking animals. You cant be logical and be a theist, they soundly contradict one another.

It seems that disconnect of logic and common sense actually fits in rather well with a lot of ATS members.

While it used to be that common sense, evidence, science and logical evaluation ruled discussions here, now faith, belief, fear, suspicion and drama rule. We have people who share YouTube videos as "evidence" of their point, imagining all sorts of wild explanations for events when there's absolutely no evidence for any of it, at the same time as they reject the inconvenient evidence available when it doesn't suit their belief.

That sounds to me remarkably close to religious delusion. If anything, I'm surprised this place isn't infested with religious people ultimately blaming everything on the Devil.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Anubis259

You cant be logical and be a theist, they soundly contradict one another.

Yet, you base the premise of your argument on prejudicial arbitrary conjecture and appeal to ridicule. lol

edit on 28-12-2014 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: elysiumfire

as a matter of fact here is a list of book he wrote on prophecy, revelation and the end of times. 14 books in all, that not counting all his other writings and letters to peers.

Newton's Views on on Prophecy, Revelation and the End of Times

edit on 28-12-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Anubis259

my bad, i clicked the wrong member's reply button sorry.
i fixed it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join