It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio shopper shoots teen dead outside mall for trying to steal newly bought Nike Air Jordans

page: 46
<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well. of course those who routinely break the Law can't be bothered by Laws. But Laws work because firstly most people enjoy being part of a civil society and will comply with the Law. So, if a Law says you should not own a gun, knive or boxing ring - these are examples of stuff that is actually forbidden to own and/or carry with you in my country - you don't. Voluntarily, as you are a Law abiding citizen. That in turn reduces the amount of weapons in society massively. A juvenile with a bad attitude will not be able to find his dad's legal gun and start a shooting spray with it - because it's not there. We don't have many pawn shops here, but if we had like many American States have, you would not be able to buy a gun there - because they would not take them, even if you had one. It's illegal and most shop keepers are Law abiding citizens too. And last, but not least, 3 year old lil' Jimmy there would not be able to shoot himself dead with a gun that does not exist.

Secondly, Laws work because we have the Police to enforce them. In my country, if you have a gun, somebody will signal the Police and they will stop by to investigate. And since in practice only the Police are allowed to carry guns, it's quite feasible that they will check if that's a cop, and if not arrest the guy or gal and seek out the details later. Even criminals that dislike other criminals or have a bill to settle with them will call our anonymous line ('M') and report it - in turn 'M' will report this to the Police, anonymously and the criminals will be arrested.

So, that's why in a country that has strict weapon Laws we don't have so many firearms involved in killings.
edit on 31-12-2014 by ForteanOrg because: forgot a letter here and doubled another there..

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

Well. of course those who routinely break the Law can't be bothered by Laws. But Laws work because firstly most people enjoy being part of a civil society and will comply with the Law. So, if a Law says you should not own a gun, knive or boxing ring - these are examples of stuff that is actually forbidden to own and/or carry with you in my country - you don't.

Is that so? Well I guess when you can guarantee that criminals will not break the law and obtain illegal firearms I will consider relinquishing my own.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Well. of course those who routinely break the Law can't be bothered by Laws. But Laws work because firstly most people enjoy being part of a civil society and will comply with the Law. So, if a Law says you should not own a gun, knive or boxing ring - these are examples of stuff that is actually forbidden to own and/or carry with you in my country - you don't.

Is that so? Well I guess when you can guarantee that criminals will not break the law and obtain illegal firearms I will consider relinquishing my own.

It will be easier to simply make them illegal to possess and then let the authorities deal with it. Because, if you are telling me that you would become a criminal to keep your gun, then I don't think you are responsible enough to have one in the first place.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

It will be easier to simply make them illegal to possess and then let the authorities deal with it. Because, if you are telling me that you would become a criminal to keep your gun, then I don't think you are responsible enough to have one in the first place.

It already is illegal for criminals to posses firearms and I would hazard a guess that the 'authorities' are already aware of this fact. Why are they not enforcing the laws already on the books and targeting illicit firearm ownership?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

It already is illegal for criminals to posses firearms and I would hazard a guess that the 'authorities' are already aware of this fact. Why are they not enforcing the laws already on the books and targeting illicit firearm ownership?

Why don't you give them a call and ask them yourself?

ATF Hotlines

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

I think it would be better to address the call to that tool bag Eric Holder instead.

You know, being their boss and all.

edit on 31-12-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

I think it would be better to address the call to that tool bag Eric Holder instead.

You know, being their boss and all.

Let me know what he says.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

The police and authorities would probably have a lot more time and resourses to target illicit firearm ownership if they didn't have to deal with things like regular school shootings and two year olds shooting their mother to death with her own gun in Wal-Mart.

edit on 31-12-2014 by th2356 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

He said, 'Let the new guy handle it, I'm leaving soon.'

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: th2356
The police and authorities would probably have a lot more time and resourses to target illicit firearm ownership if they didn't have to deal with things like regular school shootings and two year olds shooting their mother to death with her own gun in Wal-Mart.

Is that so? How does a school shooting in Connecticut cause the local police in Chicago to fail to enforce illicit firearms laws?

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Seriously? You want to delegate your own protection to the "authorities" because it's "easier?"

Gotta be the stupidest idea I've seen all day, which would make sense in terms of Darwin's thoughts on survival.

I just returned from Mexico. Makes me LOVE living in the USA even more, where I can choose to protect my family how I want to, not how some ninny bureaucrat tells me to.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Why can't people understand that they just shouldn't # with people.

Clearly if you want to act stupid, then there will be consequences.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

He said, 'Let the new guy handle it, I'm leaving soon.'

Your disingenuous reply underscores the weakness of your position.
edit on 31-12-2014 by DrJunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jamie1
Seriously? You want to delegate your own protection to the "authorities" because it's "easier?"

Uh... yeah.

That's kind of the reason behind police and the military.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Uh... yeah.

People need to be able to defend themselves. Especially in rural areas where police response times are very slow. In an idealistic world, no citizens would need guns, but the reality is some people are out there looking to do harm to others. One cannot always rely on the police to protect you.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
People need to be able to defend themselves. Especially in rural areas where police response times are very slow. In an idealistic world, no citizens would need guns, but the reality is some people are out there looking to do harm to others. One cannot always rely on the police to protect you.

I agree.

I'm just not of the opinion that guns need to be in the hands of every citizen in the country.

Other countries are getting along very well without having the ability to carry guns with them to the grocery store.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

I agree.

I'm just not of the opinion that guns need to be in the hands of every citizen in the country.

Other countries are getting along very well without having the ability to carry guns with them to the grocery store.
I agree wholeheartedly, I live in such a country.

But the logistical, philosophical, and governmental problems entailed with solving the U.S. "gun problem" are far reaching. Firearms are as much embedded into the culture of the U.S. as Apple Pie and Baseball. Changing peoples mind, and more importantly, their hearts is something that will not come easily.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Uh... yeah.

Your position is demonstrably false.

It's your responsibility to protect yourself and your family. If somebody breaks into your home are you going to call 911 and wait for the police?

This is why Darwin was right, and goes beyond DNA. It's behavioral and cultural. Stupid ideas, when relating to survival, will tend NOT to be passed down to the next generation.

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I agree.

In your opinion what bureaucrat shall be granted the authority to determine how I decide to protect myself?

You??? Your government?????

hahahahahahahaha

posted on Dec, 31 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

In your opinion what bureaucrat shall be granted the authority to determine how I decide to protect myself?

You??? Your government?????

hahahahahahahaha

Yes, the legally elected representative governing body of the locality in which I (and you, presumably) am a citizen.

<< 43  44  45    47  48  49 >>

join