It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ohio shopper shoots teen dead outside mall for trying to steal newly bought Nike Air Jordans

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: poncho1982

OK, let me correct that for you. It was a teenager trying to steal a pair of shoes AT GUNPOINT. That's ARMED robbery. That IS a violent crime. SMDH

We've pointed that out several times to that member, it's apparently of no consequence to their critical thinking. They said it's just "petty crime".

Yeah, another dweller of the land of unicorns and fairies. Things must be so perfect there!

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: poncho1982

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Krakatoa

originally posted by: NOTurTypical
a reply to: Krakatoa

Nothing to see here, just natural selection.. move along.
edit: Dangit, the new girl beat me to it! :-( Welcome to ATS!!

I know this was a sarcastic post (meant to be funny), but, if we ignore these type of stories, and only broadcast and "discuss" cases of bad cops doing bad things, then we do an injustice to all those that do follow the law, and only further glorify the thug mentality.

That's just it he wasn't following the law. The mall has strict rules against guns on their property so the guy could be charged with a misdemeanor.

And obviously the criminal din't pay any attention to that "rule" either. It just absolutely makes the point that gun laws and rules only affect law abiding citizens in a negative way, criminals will continue to do exactly as they want regardless.

Yes, lets make a victim oriented society! Let's let the criminals have ALL the power!

Which criminal do you want to have the power the "lessor" one that claimed to have seen a gun and used that excuse to kill someone or the other who wanted to take a pair of shoes from him?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: ForteanOrg

In civilised countries you don't even HAVE a gun to begin with. In civilised countries we have the Police to deal with criminals. And in civilised countries even the Police don't like using their guns much and try to avoid it. Shooting is for dummies.

True.

In my country, Norway, people will assume that you are either a criminal or insane if you walk around armed or have guns stashed around your house.

And since the population is not armed to their teeth, neither ordinary citizens nor the police have any reason to fear for their lives on a daily basis. They do not always have be ready to"shoot first, or be killed". Last year the police fired 3 warning shots in total. The last time police had to shoot and kill someone, was in 2006. Last year two people were killed by weapons (one rifle and one shotgun) in the population, one of the deaths was a hunting accident. We have never had a school shooting.

But what do you know, in US the answer to violence and killings seems to be "more guns for everyone". The stupidity of it is amazing, but at least the weapon industry must be happy.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Which criminal do you want to have the power the "lessor" one that claimed to have seen a gun and used that excuse to kill someone or the other who wanted to take a pair of shoes from him?

A person exercising their Constitutional right of self-defense under right to life isn't a "criminal". It's a basic human right.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: th2356

Yea your numbers are a bit off. You're citing "unintentional" death by gunfire. 2012- 88 people killed by gunfire. 2011-142 (2011 was the same year Norway had a massacre at a youth camp, no?). Nearly half a million registered gun owners. It's estimated that 31 people out of 100 in Norway own a gun, either legally or not. And I could go on and on.

Don't throw stats unless they're accurate. Trying to make Norway out to be some gun-free utopia is a fallacy.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Tsk, Tsk, people still not fully understanding Karma, those who are unbelievers continue to test the theory with very potent results, sad that it happened , but honestly for any to have to take another life and it was the only retort available that really is not such a great thing to applaud either, or if you have an itchy trigger finger, you have to live with that for the rest of your life and unless you are the man of steel, you will never forget or feel proud about that, no winners in this story.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: NOTurTypical

Someone with a CCW could still be a criminal or evil or crazy person who just happened to pass whatever background check they needed to because they've never been caught. Just saying.
edit on 12/28/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Needs Repeating!!!!!

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
*****ATTENTION ALL MEMBERS*****

We would like to remind you that we expect civility and decorum in all forums, topics, and discussions. Continuing to post in a manner not in accordance with the T&C's can and will result in post removals and/or posting bans. Please continue your discussions with an eye on the topic and not your fellow members. Please also remember to stay on topic and cease any and all attempts to derail the thread/discussion before you.

If you are finding it hard to reply in a civil manner on this topic, we suggest you walk away and save it for another day to prevent you from jeapordizing your own account.

Thank you.

You Are Responsible For Your Own posts.

We Expect Civility & Decorum In All Topics.

*** Do Not Reply To This Post ***

edit on Sun Dec 28 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Yea your numbers are a bit off. You're citing "unintentional" death by gunfire. 2012- 88 people killed by gunfire. 2011-142 (2011 was the same year Norway had a massacre at a youth camp, no?). Nearly half a million registered gun owners. It's estimated that 31 people out of 100 in Norway own a gun, either legally or not. And I could go on and on.

Don't throw stats unless they're accurate. Trying to make Norway out to be some gun-free utopia is a fallacy.

I don't know where you found your numbers, I cited numbers and info I found on these sites, and if you think they are wrong or "off", maybe you should contact the Norwegian police and authorities to correct them:

www.politi.no...
www.politiforum.no...

(Try Google translate, they are Norwegian sites.)

I also never claimed people do not own weapons in Norway. Many Americans seem to believe that we are not allowed to own any, this is not true. We are a nation with many hunters, who are required keep their weapons locked away safely when they are not in use during the hunting seasons.

And you just do not see people walking to the store carrying a handgun. People simply do not have loaded weapons lying around the house where sometimes even toddlers can find them - and use them. Or troubled teenagers can take them to school..? Does not happen.

And yes, we had the Oslo and Utøya massacre. Anders Behring Breivik was indeed - and still is - quite insane. (To this day, he has not shown any remorse for what he did, the only thing he regrets is that he did not kill more people.) Yet this very tragic anomaly has not caused people in Norway to arm themselves for protection. Even the police are not armed, with the exception of time periods when the risk of terror attacks is hightened.

It's a peaceful life here. I recommend it.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Your numbers are way off. All gun related deaths in Norway are below:

2012: 88
2011: 142
2010: 87
2009: 107
2008: 88
2007: 10
2006: 99
2005: 89
2004: 103
2003: 116
2002: 106
2001: 109
2000: 126
1999: 132
1998: 113
1997: 141
1996: 145
Source

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Jamie1

This, a hundred times over. If you try to rob someone at gun point, and you get shot and killed yourself, well.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Yea my numbers come from www.gunpolicy.org... and they cast a tiny bit different light than the ones you're supplying. Though to be fair, the site I linked is only current to 2012 for most countries. I think the site does a good job of breaking down gun violence and ownership and usage in a number of categories.

Your police don't carry guns on their person, but they have firearms in their vehicles. That's not exactly the same as "unarmed." And it's not for lack of interest, as a survey conducted in 2013 showed there was significant interest among patrol officers in being armed, while there was significant opposition among chiefs to arming officers.

Sensible gun owners don't leave guns laying around where kids can find them. Doesn't matter if they're American, Norwegian, or any other nationality.

I've only heard good things about Norway. I'm sure it's a great place to be. I'm told the scenery and "scenery" is lovely. But it's not a gun free utopia, nor is it devoid of gun crime.

(post by AugustusMasonicus removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Your numbers are way off. All gun related deaths in Norway are below:

2012: 88
2011: 142
2010: 87
2009: 107
2008: 88
2007: 10
2006: 99
2005: 89
2004: 103
2003: 116
2002: 106
2001: 109
2000: 126
1999: 132
1998: 113
1997: 141
1996: 145
Source

It is possible that the numbers you refer to, also include suicides by guns. The numbers I cited are from murder statistics alone, to make that clear.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yes, it includes suicides as well. Below is homicides only.

2012: 5
2011: 71
2010: 2
2009: 9
2008: 3
2007: 21
2006: 10
2005: 5
2004: 12
2003: 12
2002: 16
2001: 6
2000: 17
1999: 14
1998: 12
1997: 10
1996: 12

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thank you, then our numbers are not that far from each other after all, athough your list is missing 2013, which is the year I referred to (besides the fact that nobody has been shot and killed by police in Norway since 2006).

Peace.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Deaf Alien

I agree that it's sad. Nothing to rejoice over. However, mess with the bull, you get the horns. It is entirely boy's fault that he's dead. The shooter is well within his right to defend himself (if the report is accurate).

I have never disputed any of the above and agree with most of it

What a lot of people have problem with you is that you are advocating just letting violent criminals have their way by threatening people's lives (some have been killed even if they have complied). When you find yourself in a life threatening situation you WILL find a way to neutralize that threat, guaranteed.

If the gun nuts on this thread took just 1 second to actually pay attention to what Ive said and not just get their panties in a twist coz Im not celebrating with them they would understand that Im not advocating anything!!!
When asked Ive expressed my opinions and alternative options to blowing someone away but have never said it should be done the way I say

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

It's obvious that you would be perfectly happy in celebrating the death of an innocent victim. Apparently in your World, it's a tragedy that the aggressor ended up on the wrong side of the deal.

LMFAO so because hes not happy with you or "smiling from ear to ear" he wanted the shooter dead

Everything he has said in this thread has been in defence of human life, how you made the leap of logic to say the above is beyond me but says alot about your thought process, someone has to die so if the guy isnt celebrating the Kids death like all you gun nuts he must have wanted the shooter dead, once again you guys really are messed up

Does it make me happy that a human being had their life taken from them? = No of course not

Does it make me happy that the victim is the one who is left alive, absolutely it does. A smile from ear to ear concerning that result.

In your post the above 2 qoutes were together, I only separated the 2 due to the fact that when an intelligent person blatantly contradicts themselves they normally do it quite far apart so as not too look stupid

Figured you could use all the help you could get

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: SheopleNation

You keep on blabbering about how we are all happy about it, but can you provide any evidence where I said that?

Another one who hasnt bothered to read the thread

In 1 post I qouted about 10 people FROM THE 1ST PAGE who expressed feelings of joy and celebration.

WTF is wrong with you people?????

Can you show me where I singled out you personally as saying anything at all?

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join