It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police say man fatally wounded during struggle for Coachella police officer's baton

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Article Title: Police say man fatally wounded during struggle for Coachella police officer's baton
Fox: Link to Story
Article Title: Man shot to death in struggle over officer's baton
STL Post: Link to Story
Article Title: Deputy fatally shoots man during struggle in Coachella
Desert Sun: Link to Story

NOTE: I provided multiple story links above to dissuade any news bias discussions....and hopefully provide a more rounded OP.

It seems the officer, doing her job, was responding to a report of a home break-in. When she arrived she called out to a man in the street, who, immediately faced her in a "fighting stance".

Desert Sun Quote

The deputy was initially called to the neighborhood to investigate a report of someone entering a house and attacking a homeowner. When the deputy arrived at the house, she saw the suspect standing in the roadway, where he assumed a "fighting stance," according to the news release. "The officer ordered the suspect to stop several times, however, he aggressively continued toward her," the news release stated. "The officer used her baton in an attempt to protect herself from the attacking suspect. A struggle for the officer's baton took place and an officer-involved shooting occurred."

ETA: More info....it seems the officer then attempted to perform CPR on the person she just shot, while awaiting the ambulance and EMT's to arrive on the scene. That is the hallmark of a good officer in my book. She seems to have been confronted, responded with deadly force and also rendered aid to the victim until emergency personnel arrived on the scene.

A deputy was hunched over the man, performing CPR. Soon an ambulance arrived, and medics took over. "Stay with us, Omar!" they shouted, over and over, Rosado said.

So, after confronting the officer aggressively the suspect attacked the female officer and attempted to take her baton. So, is anyone here surprised the man was shot and killed? What I wonder is what has come over people recently that feel the need to aggressively attack someone that is not only armed, but trained to use that weapon? I don't get it.....that is, IMO, just plain stupid behavior.

edit on 12/26/2014 by Krakatoa because: added additional content

edit on 12/26/2014 by Krakatoa because: I clarified the post by correcting a misspelling that changed the meaning

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:39 PM
link   
If what you say is accurate then I'm happy this officer tried her baton, a mostly non lethal tool for defense, before drawing the firearm. Seriously, tase or pepper spray unarmed people first. Even non lethal rounds from a firearm will make just about anybody that isn't on PCP stop whatever it was they were doing.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I really don't know what these people are hoping to achieve . If you attack an armed law enforcement officer, in most if not nearly all cases it will not end well for you . I rate these people as intergalactically dumb . That is Lois Lane dumb people .

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: centhwevir1979
If what you say is accurate then I'm happy this officer tried her baton, a mostly non lethal tool for defense, before drawing the firearm. Seriously, tase or pepper spray unarmed people first. Even non lethal rounds from a firearm will make just about anybody that isn't on PCP stop whatever it was they were doing.

It is not what I say....it is what 3 separate news organizations are reporting. I was not there, and need to rely upon that to hear the details. Which is why I always try to get at least 3 corroborating accounts of this type of thing before passing it on here at ATS. And, each of the sources seem to agree upon these details....so far.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Sounds OK to me.

Now on to the MSM.

WTF does fatally wounded mean.

It seems to me to be an oxymoron. Wounded is wounded and dead is dead.

I sometimes wonder if the reporter and the editor of the story ever went to high school.

OK, so perhaps it is an accepted Americanism. Seems just dumb.

I too would like to see more pepper spray and stun weapons in use but then, I wasn't there.

P

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

I believe it means that the suspect was not killed outright, but wounded. He was still alive when he was rushed to the hospital, where his wound turned fatal and he died.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

You provided your own narrative between the quotes.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: centhwevir1979

"Non lethal rounds" can also still kill people. OC doesn't always stop somebody. There's a number of reasons an officer can use lethal force against a subject in the use of force continuum. You don't always have time to go step by step by step.

And I think the OP added info, and his "narrative" was a recitation of the info added.

Good OP. Guess we'll see how this post fares, eh?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
When people say that this is a victim of police brutality yet again i want to push the red button and end human race. There is a difference between unarmed people getting killed by police and people getting killed because they attacked a police officer. But still the "rotten apples" in the police have already messed up so bad that the good cops are now in the crossfires too. Can't really blaim the people too when police are getting orders from the same slavemasters that have made this world into what it is and still obeys those orders.
edit on 26-12-2014 by Annunak1 because: whut

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

a reply to: pheonix358

they must be addressing the "intergalactically dumb".

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:54 PM
link   
The guy just finished doing a B.N.E. And he wanted to fight the police officer? lol.

Wel out of respect for the dead individual. At least he went down * swinging*

He seems like one of those types that would die with a sword in his hand just because he wants to die by a sword.
Or one of those types who never back down from a fight, and put themselves in that position because people nowadays have more self control than they did in the passed. I bet he would of fought the person he was B.N.Eing as well. Anyone LEGIT trying to get money from breaking into someones house wouldn't be trying to pick a fight with anyone let alone want to be seen.

A cop spots you, So this guys genius plan is to try to swipe her batton when she gets close. Lol like something out of a action movie when the protagonist disarms a couple guards or police then makes a get away.

However this is real like. And that usually does not work. But i'm sure hes doing B.N.E simulations in heaven now.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annunak1
When people say that this is a victim of police brutality yet again i want to push the red button and end human race.

Who said that, specifically? I don't remember seeing that sentiment expressed in this thread, seemed like most of us supported the reported actions of the officer mentioned.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

I too would like to see more pepper spray and stun weapons in use but then, I wasn't there.

When I am in the wilderness living in grizzly, wolf, cougar, moose, and wolverine territory I am keeping my hand on the giant can of pepper spray, not on my firearm - I don't want to kill stuff. Ever watch the police walk around? They can't do it without resting their hand on the butt of their pistol. PDs spend much $$ on their neat toys, and are usually too eager for a chance to use them.

new topics

top topics

join