It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Meditation... Any advice?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
So going through a bit of a rough patch as you do, I won't bore you with it but I have been really emotional lately and pretty down. End of the world type feelings...

Not sure if it were coincidence or not but last night I tried a guided meditation from our beloved youtube... Here it is for those interested.

At first I felt a bit odd, 33 year old bloke sat there listening to some creepy guy whispering to me on youtube XD But soon it did seem to be doing something so I went with the flow and I found it to be rather nice indeed. I was feeling relaxed and calm. It was so good I listened again in bed lol

Today, I have felt much much more grounded... Things are still intensely poop but stuff that would have set me off before, hasn't. Not sure if it is down to the meditation or if I am just starting to come to terms with things anyway. But I would say it's a bit of an overnight recovery XD

I don't feel so blue, I do see light at the end of the tunnel, I do feel hope even though it's not exactly been the best day in the world!

So I was wandering if people would like to give me some advice on the subject or perhaps share some of your own experiences with it. Maybe you have a favourite creepy guy on youtube? lol

Either way I will be having another go and see how it goes

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Meee32

A great start.

I mostly do meditation old school but I do find some 'guided meditations' helpful at times as it 'directs' the normal chaos of my mind into a more focused stream. I would caution against any expectations surrounding meditation of any kind as it is an ebb and flow thing where some days it goes well and other days it doesn't but the key point is to do it consistently regardless of perceived effect. The point being that in order to get lasting benefit from meditation rather then 'relief from something' it needs to be done everyday without fail and without any judgment of success or failure.

There are many online resources both religious and secular for different types of mediation and I recommend having many arrows in your quiver as you walk through life.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Thanks for the reply, I mean yeah I'm not sure I was expecting anything from it really, what did occur rather took me by surprise. As I say it is possible it is just a coincidence but there it is...

And yeah I know I will have a dig around online, just curious if people maybe know of some they can recommend etc.

Can you elaborate a little on "old school" meditation? Do you mean like go off into a cave somewhere for years? XD Just a joke but curious about what you mean?.

EDIT: Perhaps this is what you meant by old school

Meditating outdoors in nature can be very peaceful, and taking the opportunity to meditate on the bus or in your office chair can be an excellent stress reliever.

I was in my office chair XD But I'll give this a go too, why not

edit on 26-12-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Meee32

Can you elaborate a little on "old school" meditation? Do you mean like go off into a cave somewhere for years? XD Just a joke but curious about what you mean?.

LOL - only in my head. By old school I mean traditional sitting mediation, walking meditation, mantras (of various types) - now I've settled on a buddist path as it suits my personality and life experience and yet is always challenging. The Buddhist scriptures describe 100,000 different ways to meditate as there are so many different people, at different times and in different circumstances.

I'd start with - well the guided mediation is good, look for more - a secular 'mindfullness' meditation such as that found at:

harvardhumanist.org...

www.dharma.org...

All religions have a 'meditation' component - and you can look up resources for anything you mind be comfortable with. It is often recommended you start with your - mother religion or the religion you were brought up in.

Then there is a technological device, that I love have used on and off for years, especially when I have trouble focusing, that you can find at:

www.heartmath.org...

It is purely secular...

It really is a personal journey - have fun.

There's is a decent 'meditation for dummies' type book called the Meditation Bible that's an okay but shallow beginning look at meditation/prayer/mindfulness.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

My personal advice? Don't.

I have wasted five years meditating, shutting down my mind, dwelling in nothingness. It took me this long to realize that to achieve great things, I have to actually use the whole of my mind, not shut it. As soon as I stopped meditating, my IQ spiked 30 points up.

There is no magic formula to achieve greatness - the best way is to simply use the brain naturally, as it was meant to be used.

Light appears when you open the window .

edit on 26-12-2014 by swanne because: stupid "window" word glitch...

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

lol, okay thanks for all the great info... I have been down the religion route in my past, I hear you on it but not particularly my cup of tea.

I'll give the links a look through though, thanks a lot for that.

The sitting thing has always been a problem for me, even when doing things like martial arts, I am 6' 4" and I have back problems from time to time and I find it really uncomfortable to sit like that, but the say to be comfortable XD Maybe you just get used to it I'm not sure.

I did try the guide in the link I just posted (minus the sitting upright) and it was relaxing all the same, I think I just really really needed to chill the **** out XD

Thanks again.
edit on 26-12-2014 by Meee32 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Okay thanks for your perspective, I mean I wasn't particularly having anything in mind when having a go, just thought what the hell and it relaxed me enough so I don't randomly burst into tears all day! XD So maybe it can have it's place too? I think using all your mind is good, but when all your mind is focused on the wrong things all of the time perhaps a reboot is in order I dunno XD

Interesting on the IQ results that's for sure. Thanks

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I focus my not my mind on only one thing - I actually spread it across everything. That way when I am faced by a problem I can attack from every angles.

But yeah, I agree, if you want just to chill out, then it's great indeed. I used to meditate to recharge. Now I use music but then again, to each his/her methods.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Yeah I was focused on many things for sure, all of them negative XD Probably not the best frame of mind to be in. A friend did recommend music and I do love music to be honest when I have it on but I go through phases where I don't listen to any for months and I forget how good it is and start blaring it out XD

Yeah I mean hell even if it is placebo or wishful thinking, I feel better than I did so that's something.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yeah, we need to do something to stimulate relaxation after Christmas. When we realize we overspent and overate and were trapped with our relatives way too long, it is time to chill out.

Wait till the next bank statement or credit card bill hits the mailbox. Time to meditate again.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Yeah, we need to do something to stimulate relaxation after Christmas. When we realize we overspent and overate and were trapped with our relatives way too long, it is time to chill out.

Wait till the next bank statement or credit card bill hits the mailbox. Time to meditate again.

haha well yeah those are problems I would kinda like to have right now XD

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I prefer the method of "walking Zen"..... to walk or ride a bike with as much awareness as you can muster; but focused on the walk or movement.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
I prefer the method of "walking Zen"..... to walk or ride a bike with as much awareness as you can muster; but focused on the walk or movement.

Hmmm interesting I never knew there was such a thing, thanks will look into that.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

awareness is the key...sarasotazen.org...

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

awareness is the key...sarasotazen.org...

Hmmm interesting thanks, you learn something new everyday eh.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I'd recommend your local Buddhist temple myself. I don't see it as a 'religion', I see it as a 'science of the mind' thing. They teach a ton of how your minds works and practical ways to use it. They are the agreed experts at meditation and no one on Earth will know more about it.

I don't think you can go very far with internet 'guided meditation'. First off, it isn't really guided, it is scripted. Your mind will not react like others. Somedays you'll have questions with no answers and that is weird! For example you can start hearing voices in your meditation and when you end it...well...it's nice to have someone experienced to ask about it.

As with everything, I say go to the experts if you want to learn the most. Thus I give you the same advice.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   

That video feels more like self hypnosis. Is that really what meditation is all about? Hypnotizing your sub-conscious mind to relax?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Not sure I agree that Buddhist are automatically better than Hindus, Taoists or Sikhs. It all depends on who you meet how much knowledge they have. You also have the Reiki crowd who go directly at energy manifestation tools to bring calmness to both mind and body without having to over think things. The Tai chi crowd and the spinning dervishes (Sufi) who have their own way of creating awareness. If a person is sensitive to binaural Beats it is possible to make the cells vibrate by just listening to youtube videos.

If guided meditation works then use it. If it does not work like for me then do something else. The only thing that matters is if it works for the practitioner.

Namaste

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: WeRpeons

That video feels more like self hypnosis. Is that really what meditation is all about? Hypnotizing your sub-conscious mind to relax?

. In a way it is about letting go of everything and just be aware of everything you can be aware of. Sometimes when people let go the body will go into repair mode on different levels. The body making yoga movements by itself to fix itself. Energy vibration and heat appearing in parts of the body depending on where there is a need of energy flow. Release of chemicals in the brain causing the bliss state. In science this is called the placebo effect where the body increases it's ability of fixing itself since it is calmed down.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
For emotional issues I would recommend EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) which is based on tapping various points across the upper body and works very well for fears, phobias and other intense emotional issues. It sounded as if the OP was suffering a bit of a hard time and EFT can address the core issues in a very swift and sure way. It is easy and free to learn and it only takes a few minutes of time to do the tapping. Sounds like it wont be any good I admit, however, it is very powerful. Obviously, it is all horses for courses and no one thing suits everyone.

Meditation is good too of course.

How about learning to do out of body travel? There are various threads on it on ATS and it will give you a more "active" rather than a "passive" experience?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join