It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Wonder North Korea Is So Backward, It's Only The Year 103 There.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
It may be 2014 everywhere else but in North Korea it's just the first century. Seems in 1997 they officially started their own calendar based on Kim Il Sung's birthday which means North Korea was founded in the year 37.
en.wikipedia.org...
I don't know about you but I keep waiting for Ashton Kutcher to jump out and tell us we've been punked.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
a reply to: MissSmartypants

I agree it is pretty dumb but the premise now has me wondering who decided that the world should follow our current calendar. If I remember correctly the Chinese had a calendar system that was pretty good long before us.

The premise may be thread worthy.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

The French Revolution,and the Khmer Rouge also reset the clock- year zero it was called.

Its a time crime to try to erase the old ways IMHO.
The old ways should be embraced and treasured by us today,but that is not the fashion it seems.
Today,we must conform to the modern way of life,or be considered weird.

Year Zero just means any culture who wishes to burn the past.
Never a good idea if we wish to learn and progress.
Distant history can teach us.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

I agree it is pretty dumb but the premise now has me wondering who decided that the world should follow our current calendar. If I remember correctly the Chinese had a calendar system that was pretty good long before us.

The premise may be thread worthy.
I guess you hadn't heard but there are those who believe that God was incarnated into a human body about two thousand years ago and that it was noteworthy enough to warrant picking that event as the basis of starting a new calendar system. Someone should have told you.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Silcone Synapse

The French Revolution,and the Khmer Rouge also reset the clock- year zero it was called.

Its a time crime to try to erase the old ways IMHO.
The old ways should be embraced and treasured by us today,but that is not the fashion it seems.
Today,we must conform to the modern way of life,or be considered weird.

Year Zero just means any culture who wishes to burn the past.
Never a good idea if we wish to learn and progress.
Distant history can teach us.

The North Koreans skipped over the year zero and went straight to year one as their starting.point. If nothing else, they're an interesting regime.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
WOW Yup So more Crap Having the Country Believing that The Great Trinity Leaders are Living GODS

This Orwellian Nation Isolated from the Rest of the World !

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

No need to be a smart arse. Of course I know what group decided to trounce history and change the calendar but who is to say it was right. However in case you haven't heard not everyone believes god was incarnated into a human body so try to keep in mind there are other cultures that do not nor have they ever recognized the calendar you follow.

There are many calendars of the world not everyone goes by the Christian calendar. In fact the Gregorian Calendar had to be changed because of its inaccuracy. The Great Gregorian Calendar Conspiracy

Other calendar systems

Which include.

The Hebrew Calendar
The Islamic Calendar
The Indian Calendar
The Chinese Calendar

2014 in other calendars:

Gregorian calendar 2014
MMXIV
Ab urbe condita 2767
Armenian calendar 1463
ԹՎ ՌՆԿԳ
Assyrian calendar 6764
Bahá'í calendar 170–171
Bengali calendar 1421
Berber calendar 2964
British Regnal year 62 Eliz. 2 – 63 Eliz. 2
Buddhist calendar 2558
Burmese calendar 1376
Byzantine calendar 7522–7523
Chinese calendar 癸巳年 (Water Snake)
4710 or 4650
— to —
甲午年 (Wood Horse)
4711 or 4651
Coptic calendar 1730–1731
Discordian calendar 3180
Ethiopian calendar 2006–2007
Hebrew calendar 5774–5775
Hindu calendars
- Vikram Samvat 2070–2071
- Shaka Samvat 1936–1937
- Kali Yuga 5115–5116
Holocene calendar 12014
Igbo calendar 1014–1015
Iranian calendar 1392–1393
Islamic calendar 1435–1436
Japanese calendar Heisei 26
(平成26年)
Juche calendar 103
Julian calendar Gregorian minus 13 days
Korean calendar 4347
Minguo calendar ROC 103
民國103年
Thai solar calendar 2557
Unix time 1388534400–1420070399

edit on 26-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Consider it like this ; it is only year 103 over there and they already have computers.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
In these countries you mentioned the significant date is the one they use to date their newspapers and their financial documents...the date based on the birth of Christ.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
Consider it like this ; it is only year 103 over there and they already have computers.
LOL. Good one. I guess the stereotype of the over achieving Asian is accurate.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: WolfenzI wonder if North Koreans are led to believe its the year 103 everywhere?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissSmartypants
In these countries you mentioned the significant date is the one they use to date their newspapers and their financial documents...the date based on the birth of Christ.

Are you sure? Have you checked? So financial records and newspapers have the power to overrule their entire history.

The world is a much larger and diverse place than you seem to understand.

In fact you may want to look over this page because it says not every country use the Gregorian calendar as you claim for those documents.

Again the world is much larger and diverse than you seem to realize.
edit on 26-12-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Our current calendar came about because the calendar we were using was losing time, if I remember correctly. Our calendar is superior to many others simply because our calendar is based upon the movement of the earth around the sun. We have a 24 hour day because of the time it takes the earth to revolve, a cycle of night and day. Then our years are based upon how long it takes the earth to move around the sun. So it makes a lot of sense, but it has been around for a long time in its basic form, only it was improved to make up for the slight loss of time that occurs over many hundreds of years. As far as North Korea is concerned nothing surprises me anymore. Crazy stuff.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Irregardless of diversity, the world is on the same page (or date haha) when it comes to things like business and research. So what does it matter as the world still turns.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
Our current calendar came about because the calendar we were using was losing time, if I remember correctly. Our calendar is superior to many others simply because our calendar is based upon the movement of the earth around the sun. We have a 24 hour day because of the time it takes the earth to revolve, a cycle of night and day. Then our years are based upon how long it takes the earth to move around the sun. So it makes a lot of sense, but it has been around for a long time in its basic form, only it was improved to make up for the slight loss of time that occurs over many hundreds of years. As far as North Korea is concerned nothing surprises me anymore. Crazy stuff.
Only I wasn't talking about astronomical calendar but rather the start date of the Gregorian calender that we use as opposed to the start date of the Juche calendar that North Korea uses.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: IntroduceALittleIrony

Irregardless of diversity, the world is on the same page (or date haha) when it comes to things like business and research.

Why do you assume that even after I posted a link that shows some countries do not use our dating method? Some will use their date as well as ours while a very few will only use theirs. Now if they are dealing in international buisness they could still use theirs along with ours and those they are doing business with may accommodate and do the same. If I was a business executive I certainly would do what needs to be done in that respect for the benefit of the company. As far as a countries science why? Besides that some of those countries could give a hoot about science some are not even communicating with us such as Iran I am pretty sure they do have science projects yet they are one of the ones that use a different dating method.

top topics

join