It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Faces Lawsuit Over Users' ... "Private"-Messages

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Original - CLASS ACTION COMPLAINT

5. Contrary to its representations, “private” Facebook messages are systematically intercepted by the Company in an effort to learn the contents of the users’ communications. In the course of the last year, independent security researchers discovered that Facebook reviews the contents of its users’ private Facebook messages for purposes unrelated to the facilitation of message transmission. When a user composes a Facebook message and includes a link to a third party website (a “URL”), the Company scans the content of the Facebook message, follows the enclosed link, and searches for information to profile the message-sender’s web activity.

Campbell et al v. Facebook Inc.

December 24, 2014 44 CLERK'S NOTICE SETTING CASE MANAGEMENT CONFERENCE. You are hereby notified that a case management conference will be held on February 26, 2015. Joint Case Management Statement due by 2/19/2015. Case Management Conference set for 2/26/2015 02:00 PM. (THIS IS A TEXT ONLY DOCKET ENTRY, THERE IS NO DOCUMENT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS NOTICE)(nahS, COURT STAFF) (Filed on 12/24/2014)

LA Times

Facebook will have to face a class action lawsuit alleging it violated users’ privacy when it scanned the content of messages for advertising purposes, U.S. District Judge Phyllis Hamilton in Oakland ruled on Tuesday.

-
OBSERVATION:

"Private" MAY (or may not?) mean ... "Private" ???

( i.e. is anything black-n-white anymore? )

edit on 26-12-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Lmao ,,, privacy was never part of what farcebook is - a tool to gather and record peples information ..

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Surprise!! Just like the "Obama Phone" Maybe folks will take the 20 min. to read the fine print as opposed to taking the guy's word for it that is trying to $ell You something, or in the example of the phones to test out the new Alpha Bet agency's listening device... Duh!

FREE now means You'll pay for it somewhere/some way down the line...

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

I’m Terrified of My New TV

You would be too — if you read through the 46-page privacy policy.

-
OBSERVATION: All The World's A Stage ???

( and "And all the men and women merely players" ? )

edit on 26-12-2014 by FarleyWayne because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Google's been reading messages for years, amazingly people still use their email services. No surprise Facebook does it as well.

I was surprised when I read Facebook conducted an experiment on users showing them slightly more negative posts from friends instead of more positive ones, then measured those people tend to post more negative things afterwards. Now that was brutal and something they should be sued over.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Is Facebook a kind of an always-watching Big Brother that George Orwell talked about 65 years ago?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
Google's been reading messages for years, amazingly people still use their email services. No surprise Facebook does it as well.

I was surprised when I read Facebook conducted an experiment on users showing them slightly more negative posts from friends instead of more positive ones, then measured those people tend to post more negative things afterwards. Now that was brutal and something they should be sued over.

Google does it differently. They assign a number with no personal data, and what they do advertising wise is linked to the number, not your actual person. Google gets less money for hiding personal data, but is willing to do so. Facebook sells your entire profile with all your personal data linked to your name.

So Google sells Mr. 04598734.
Facebook sells Mr. John Smith.

top topics

join