It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is religion?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

It's a word in the english language.

It matters from what perspective you look at what the word represents as to what it is though.
Religion is many different things to many different people.
All of them believe their definitions are the right ones.
I've noticed we're funny like that.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

What is truth?
And what is god?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Religion is the only thing occupied with the search for god, theology.
The point is: In it I study the stories around this god person, the main character in this tales. How can religion, fiction and god ever be seperated, it only exists in religious stories?

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 02:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Well there are researches concerning the placebo-effect. So I can give you a dragee with nothing but sugar, tell you it is your medicine and it works for 80% or something, like the real deal. Believing in your medicine works almost as god as getting real drugs. Bad analogy, doesn't work.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:20 AM
link   
a reply to: HarbingerOfShadows
Wow.
Thank you that was very beautiful.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

You're quite welcome.
Thank you for bothering to watch it.
The show was excellent with a number of philosophical concepts and musings.
edit on 28-12-2014 by HarbingerOfShadows because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It is my believe that religion has many roots in psychedelic substances. Our far ancestors back in the prehistory have used psychedelics as a way to connect to the spirit world. Many things in the bible, including the seeing of angels, chariots of fire and the wheel of Ezekiel, show strong similarities with psychedelic experiences. Same thing with Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam and all other religions existing today. Through time and the fabrication of ancient empires, culture and traditions these influences were increased and used to control their citizens and their leaders. People have forgotten the true religious experience, and religion has been used for waging wars ever since. If you want the religious experience, I can only say that you have to seek it. Certain substances can serve as a major catalyst in this process, but it's all up to you. I can recommend Terence McKenna on this subject.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join