It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church: What's In A Name?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

lol.. I am going for a hike. Its sounds fun, and I need out. Nice conversation.. my love and my apologies for any offense.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

You have become a new Christian and I'm happy for you. But this thread reads like you've fallen into the anti-catholic rhetoric that Christian fundamentalists pump out. Before you continue to blast the Catholic christians and their beliefs, I suggest that you read what they REALLY believe, and don't take the word of fundamentalist preachers or Jack Chick.

Always go to the source. Don't believe what protestant preachers say about Catholic beliefs. They have no clue.
Example - Catholics Scripture and Tradition

If you decide to have an interpretation of the bible that is Christian fundamentalist in nature, so be it. But give other Christians room to interpret scripture differently than you do.

When we lived in Alabama we got stuck having all sorts of different fundamentalist Christian groups knocking on our door trying to convert us to their version of Christianity. Frankly, they were full of crap. They said all sorts of nonsense about Catholics and other protestant groups that didn't believe like them. All they did was bad mouth the other groups .... they thought they were being all holy-holy by preaching their version of Christianity, but in reality they were full of self righteous hate and "We are right and everyone else is wrong". It reminded me of snotty kindergardeners who try to make themselves feel good by bullying others.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Nah sweetheart. Not reading actually. I cannot concentrate anymore to read any more than perhaps a paragraph here or there these days.

Its what I see. In my mind when I see the catholic church. Its not that I hate them or have any anti anything rhetoric in my head. Where concerns the catholic church its the weirdest because I feel such a deep connection at the same time.

But logically, joining them is something I just cannot do. I spent my life running to "religion" to erase shame I felt.. but it was window dressing.. but it made me feel better - a bit less the shameful thing everyone said I was.

Going to a place full of motions isn't a habit I need to get back into though. I need to LIVE what I believe, not have motions that are memorable to the point of someday not even realizing I said a prayer just to loose a small portion of shame.

On another personal note is the opulence.. that again, is a personal thing. I just personally cannot get into catholic habits without someday loosing my own faith, and I know this for a fact. That is just self awareness.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm a practicing, devout Catholic, and I would like to attempt to explain some of the impressions you have about Catholicism. You've mentioned "the motions" and "the opulence" of Catholicism. Help me to understand what you mean by this. If I don't know the answer, I will certainly find the answer for you. Helping you find Truth helps me also.

a reply to: OpinionatedB

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

what I mean here is.. okay..

reciting rosary... prerequisite words.. yes, the words have meaning but its all a memorized thing. Something similar was in Islam, at one point it is just words you are saying, and you can get through it without even 1 thought in your head. I would recite tasbih and like not even be there... just wake up at some point and think.. ohh.. how many was that? enough? cool.. done!

if that makes sense. Catholicism is full of the same type of stuff that Islam is full of.. "religion" rather than feeling.. its what I see.. its not that Catholics are bad.. but for me.. prerequisite religions, words, prayers and formulas and whatnot.. IS bad. its a personal thing again.

I love the personal God, I love everything about this personal thing.. and for me.. the prerequisite stuff would remove it completely. Now, when I pray, its HIM before me.. not a blank empty mental slate. I want to keep that!

I don't want the window dressing.. I want to keep HIM before me. Its so beautiful to see HIM before you.. I cannot explain I suppose. Its just me. I just cannot trade HIM for another mind numbing experience. Its just not a valid trade. I used to pray entire salah and not even remember saying the first word.. yet I suppose I went through every motion.

I am not going back there.. to that place. I have something now.. with feeling, I cannot trade it in!
edit on 27-12-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: OpinionatedB
reciting rosary... prerequisite words.. yes, the words have meaning but its all a memorized thing.

That's not how the rosary is prayed.

It's not just reciting words. It's a meditation. Each and every prayer has meaning and each one has a meditation. It is full of feeling and full of adoration of God. The rosary puts Jesus and the works of God directly in front of the person via meditation. If you think it's just saying words and keeping count ... that's incorrect. Its' FAR from empty. It's a prayer and meditation from the heart.

I"m very happy that you are madly in love with Jesus. But I'm finding the new negative focus on Catholicism to be disturbing.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

It was all supposed to be meditation in Islam too. It never got there for me somehow, it was never what it was supposed to be for me.

Anyway.. I will not speak. It was only asked so I answered the truth. Its not an insult to you.. its just knowing myself is all.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

I prayed the rosary every day for 25 years.
It was a fantastic meditation for me.

When I prayed the Joyful mysteries, I felt like I was with Mary and Joseph when Jesus was born and the angels sang His praises. When I prayed the sorrowful mysteries I felt like I was in the Garden with Jesus ... holding his hand as he prayed before going to his death. When I prayed the glorious mysteries I felt like I was with the apostles in the Upper Room as the Holy Spirit came upon them. All this and more as I worshipped God from the heart.

The Rosary was always an excellent prayer and meditation for me.
I always highly recommend it.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I would ad that it's not a prerequisite or rule that one must pray the rosary, in order to be Catholic. Prayer takes many, many forms, and the rosary is just one of those forms. I agree, it's an amazing prayer, one of my favorites. (and Mary's lol) The important point is that we DO pray. Prayer is talking intimately with God. Who wouldn't want to interact intimately with someone they love?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
The link provided by Flyersfan above is an excellent source for all things Catholic. In fact, just the other day, one of their apologists wrote a good article on their blog about "repetitive prayer". This is a common objection, and one I can relate with, I know where you're coming from. I'm a spontaneous prayer guy myself, but I find repetitive prayer helps me a lot when the wolves are circling, the doodoo is hitting the fan for some reason, or when I'm seriously troubled. The repetition keeps my mind in the game, instead of on me, and all my poor poor pitiful problems.

(Sssh, don't tell anyone I told ya, but it's ok if your mind wanders when you pray lol)

For me, it's important to just be quiet and listen while praying. Jesus speaks to us in the silence.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I am happy that you guys can do it and all. I am. What is good for a person is good for them.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I just wanted to ad a thought I've had since reading your testimony, and it's something I find fascinating. Recently, I heard a commentator on Catholic Radio mention that the many converts to Christianity from Islam report a similar conversion experience. Their call from Jesus comes in their dreams.

Therefore, Your experience is not unique. If you look around, you may find other converts to find fellowship, who had their initial conversion in their sleep. I love it, SO cool.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Yeah I did find out the same thing recently. It is nice.. and it seems to be very common the last couple years or so. That did make me feel so much less alone when I heard about it! The first testimony I heard on the topic made me cry, just because not being alone was so nice.. and there were many similarities.

There aren't any of those around here though. We just recently moved to where my husband is from, and people are in slightly shorter supply, and Muslims.. probably none so converts to Christianity are probably in short supply too, in the extreme.

In the end.. someday i will find the church for me. I am positive i will recognize it when I see it. It will feel like coming home somehow I imagine.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Well, this internet has made the world a much smaller place, there may be folks you could find online. You found me, and I believe every word you've said.

Remember, you feel Jesus within you, well Christ is in me also. We experience Christ on earth most frequently through other people. Don't just wait for private revelation, He may not always be trying to reach you like that. Maybe it's from someone you've met online? :-)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
That's funny, I was going to reply again before you made your edit, about finding a Church you feel at home. I was going to say, pray. Ask Jesus to show you what Church to enter. But be patient, your answer may not come as a bolt of lightning, or in a dream, you just never know how or when the answer will come. He will answer you. But fertile ground is required, humility. Be open to His answer.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   

When I was at my most lost and confused on the church choices.. because of the difficulty i have with the local one here that I do know of.. I asked God about denomination and things. What was HIS church I should attend? I asked HIM.

What I was told was:

My Church exists, its just that right now they are very small. Soon something will happen and they will be revealed to you. When they are, they will welcome you with open arms, and you will make them bigger.

that is fairly exact there in wording. Now, as we all know.. nothing is ever as it seems at first where concerns dreams and visions and answers from God. lol.. but.. I figure I'll just keep plodding along.. I figure somehow, some day, and in some way.. that answer will make perfect sense. Right now.. lol... not so much!

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Your private revelation resonated with me. I will make a pitiful attempt to explain but won't get into all the details. Pardon my vagueness, but I assure you, it's something I've thought and prayed long and hard about. The importance is not in the details.

I've made it no secret that I believe the fullness of Truth, the body, blood soul and divinity of Jesus Christ resides within The Catholic Church. I've also outlined a 3 point breakdown of what a true conversion is:

1. Fall in love with Jesus
2. Fall in love with His church
3. Fall in love with His message.

It is my distinct belief that very very very few So-called, self proclaimed Christians are all 3 of the above. I'm not judging them, simply observing them by their fruit. I've heard estimates that only between 4 and 9% of Catholics are intentional disciples of Jesus Christ. That means you have checked every one of the 3 boxes above. Many Catholics are very good at checking box 2, but could never check box 3, which only follows that they haven't checked box 1!! They are NOT intentional disciples of Jesus Christ. I'm not perfect by any stretch, a huge sinner, but I'm certainly trying.

So, the small number you speak of in your revelation, it resonates with me. Yelled at me. Yes, the number is small. WAY too small. That's why I said earlier..... "We need you"

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I wont say my thoughts on that. Just.. I agree. I am just one person though.. one does not make anything bigger - at least not by much. I am writing my life story, a basic conversion story which might help a couple people.. but in the end not even that is much growth. How many people actually read these books anyway?

People today are scared of religion... there has been that much damage done altogether.

this is why I don't see myself doing much good for anything. I add one. And this too he has said, I am just one member of a body, no more nor less important than any other.

So.. I am thinking the need you speak of might be a little off a bit.. lol.. no sense reading too much into what bigger might mean. 1. (plus the 7 people saved as a result of the book.. and I think that might be pushing it on the book thing.. but HE told me 7 people will be saved in my understanding of what was said about my writing it)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
God has known you since you were in your mother's womb, even before. He created you, and has a plan for you. He loves you to a degree your earthly brain cannot even comprehend. He knows how important you are to His mystical Body. Every one of us is important. Interacting with you has strengthened my faith. That was Christ working through you, and that's a beautiful thing.

One person can change the world. Christ is The Light of The World. YOU are the Light of The World.

Mother Theresa was an army of one, to start. So was Jesus.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Catholic Tradition teaches that the number 7 symbolizes peace, charity, grace and The Holy Spirit. Perfection. There are 7 days of creation, 7 sacraments, 7 gifts of The Holy Spirit, 7 joys, 7 deadly sins, 7 Sorrows of Our Lady, the blessed Mother of God.

...or 7 people read your text and it changed their lives, ya never know., but who's counting anyway? Lol.

A Question from God as you're standing before Him, wanting to enter heaven. He'll be looking over your shoulder asking..."Who did you bring with you?"

new topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join