It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Case for Reforming Criminal Background Checks for Employment

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Every human makes bad choices. Using your logic you would not have hired Bush Jr(DUI, Busted for coke) and Cheney(multiple DUIs), but for all I know you may have voted for them.

If this continues, those of us with criminal records will remember what companies discriminate over criminal records.

The way the laws are in the US, almost everyone commits an arrestable offense, it is just a matter of getting caught.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

You'll remember "those companies" and do...what exactly?

Why does the world owe you anything? Why do business owners owe you anything? Why is it THEIR responsibility to help you out? Why is it THEIR responsibility to help you get past something you chose to do? Why is it everybody else's responsibility?

Everybody makes choices. I married a lunatic. That cost me tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees. I don't run around crying about how my attorneys (yea, that's plural. I had four at one point) charged me too much or how they should cut me a break because I chose to marry a lunatic. I didn't choose to get in a drunken bar fight. I didn't choose to steal from my employer when I was 17. I didn't choose to get DUIs. I didn't choose to beat people up, or rob them, or push drugs, or use drugs. I chose to NOT do all those things.

So tell me why an employer should be required to do anything for you? Why should an employer be required to overlook life choices that you made? Why does your "right" to a second chance trump a business owner's right to run their business how they see fit? Why do you get to tell a business owner that despite the fact you have a criminal record involving financial crimes, they have to hire you anyway?

The world doesn't owe you a thing. The sooner people stop expecting a handout, the better off they are.

The use of "you" here was not specific to YOU. It's the generic use of the word.
edit on 26-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

In my younger years I got two DUI's. My poor decisions cost me my ability to get a job driving. I'm fine with that.

Here at my business, I have hired people with felony records. It all depends on the crimes they commited. This is my business and I'll run it how I damn well please.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The issue is really quite a simple one, and it's a matter of statistics.

You have 45 applicants for two open positions. Of them, 6 are qualified.

3 of them make it to hiring manager's desk. Of those three, they all have similar experience and qualifications.

They do background checks on these three indiviuals. One comes back with a minor assault charge in his 20s.

Well, logic would then dictate to discard the applicant with a criminal history. Why would an employer hire someone with a criminal background if someone equally qualified has NO criminal past?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

exoffenders.net...

If you need a job I suggest to start applying at these places.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

I wrote nothing stating the world owes me anything and then you go on about handouts....in others words, a complete fail at responding to my post. No one cares about your personal story.

I've learned years ago that being honest and nice will get me no where in the business world.

Boycotts are a start....

edit on 26-12-2014 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   

As someone above said blame the insurance companies. They required the question and the response.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. Take note of the last line in my post: the "you" was not directed specifically at you.

But in the end, you agreed with my comments in the most important way possible: you're right, nobody cares about my life story. Just like nobody cares about yours, including prospective employers don't care that you have a sob story. They care that you made poor choices. That's not their problem, it's yours.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Here is what gets me, most people I know with a 'record' are willing to work a lot harder than those with a clean record. The reason being is they have been through tough times.

Obviously a background check is needed for many jobs and for good reason. Not everyone who has a record is a bad person or bad worker.

In all the jobs I have worked, I do feel like those with a squeaky clean record are often the worst employees. They feel entitled because of their clean record and are often not willing earn their keep. Hire someone with a record and a good heart and you will have a hard working and loyal employee.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

You fail to realize that we all make bad choices. I had a DUI back in 2008 and still do not have a driver's license. I know people who have 3 that have an easier time get their license reinstated.

We all make mistakes.

I am not advocating in giving a known thief a position as a cashier or bank teller. Just common sense solutions.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Those who made bad choices need to stop complaining, take responsibility for their own actions
and accept that every choice has consequenses.

But on the bright side,
the world is not going to run out of s**t and somebody has to shovel it,
so there ARE jobs everywhere, but only if you´re willing.
edit on 26-12-2014 by LionOfGOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: LionOfGOD

You are right.

Look at Rick Scott. He ripped off Medicare for billions and is now governor of Florida and will never see jail time nor have a criminal record. The poor man who stole food to eat will be labeled a thief for life and have a difficult time ever finding meaningful employment.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Everybody makes bad choices. I don't fail to understand that at all.

Not everybody makes bad choices that carry legal consequences.

Common sense would dictate that forcing employers to not have a wide degree of discretion and latitude is unfair to employers.
edit on 26-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Typos. Again.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

I agree it can be difficult for someone with a criminal record to get hired at some businesses. Government intervention to force employers to hire someone regardless of their criminal history is not the answer. (Apply with the government and see how fast you get hired with a criminal history.) I honestly don't know if there is an answer, unless someone seeks out employer's who will hire worker's with a criminal background.

When I retired, my criminal background had been checked each year for over 20 years. I decided to apply for a "retirement" job. I was hired, and began learning the ropes at the bottom. After a few weeks, my new boss pulled me aside and told me he needed to run a background check on me. I had assumed he already had, but he told me he liked to wait and see if new hires were going to stay around for a while or not.

I told him he was crazy, since I had already been interacting with the public in their homes, I had keys to the office and vehicles, and had access to personal and very private information of his clients. He said he had never thought of that. Needless to say, he changed his hiring practices, and even found out his wife had forgotten to do checks on 2 of his other employees. Turned out one of them was a sex offender, and had been visiting clients homes where small children also resided. The guy was a good worker, and reliable.

When he had to fire that employee, he had looked at the original application, and found the man had not indicated he was a convicted felon, or a sex offender. Because he didn't make it clear up front that a background check would be performed, the man said he hadn't indicated anything on his application. Nothing had happened, thankfully, but had it, he would have lost his business. Some jobs can't be performed without a background check, some can. I really wish there were more that were open for those that have a criminal background, but in our litigious society, there aren't that many. Too much for business owners to risk.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

I have a job thanks.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: LionOfGOD
Those who made bad choices need to stop complaining, take responsibility for their own actions
and accept that every choice has consequenses.

But on the bright side,
the world is not going to run out of s**t and somebody has to shovel it,
so there ARE jobs everywhere, but only if you´re willing.

Thanks for the life sentence... oh and by the way, since i have nothing left to live for....

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

And you just summed up neatly the problem. I can't do anything for the rest of my life because of something I chose to do and somebody should make somebody give me another chance. Otherwise I'm going to be melodramatic and moan about how I'm screwed for life because nobody will give me a chance. Even though there are programs for convicts to get jobs. There are entire companies that exist just for that. Even though there are companies that don't care. It's not enough though.

But it's not because of choices you made, but because nobody will give you another chance. It's other people's fault.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   

did you read the article linked later on in the thread?

can you make case and points of segments that you quote from the article?

if you dont do that im not interested in anything you have to say.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

No, you just don't LIKE what I have to say. That's why you ignored my comments but responded to others that were also devoid of "case and points of segment."

Personal responsibility is hard. So is personal attitude.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Yes i dont like what you have to say but your not addressing any key points in this research paper directly and or caring for a decent discourse relating to those points.

Your just here to spread your crap.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join