It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The Case for Reforming Criminal Background Checks for Employment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:06 PM
Looking around at article on the internet about what i call background check tyranny and i found this little gem. I find myself agreeing with many of the key points of this article.

1 65 Million “Need Not Apply : ” The Case for Reforming Criminal Background Checks for Employment 1 Introduction In recent years, the criminal background check industry has grown exponentially. Particularly in the wake of 9/11, the ready availability of inexpensive commercial background checks has made them a popular employee screening tool. In one survey, more than 90 percent of companies reported using criminal background checks for their hiring decisions. 1 At the same time that the background check industry has expanded, the share of the U.S. population with criminal records has soared to over one in four adults.

90% people, 90%. So next time someone with a misdemeanor or felony says their having a hard time finding a job and are asking for your help you may want to consider they may actually need it.

Its disgusting how we are afraid of our own shadows in this country and nobody is willing to put anything at any level of risk to help anyone else ever. Its gross.

Across the nation there is a consistent theme: people with criminal records “need not apply” for available jobs. Combine today’s tight job market, the upsurge in background checks, and the growing number of people with criminal records, and the results are untenable. In the end, workers are not the only ones who suffer. Employers are also disadvantaged as blanket hiring restrictions undermine the integrity of criminal background checks and artificially limit the employers’ pool of qualified candidates.

Considering theres 20 million felons alone in this country id say they are severely limiting the amount of people available to them. But that doesnt really matter probably considering we have 21 million kids in college and i can gaurentee you there isnt enough room in the economy for that many more working professionals in any area of business.

The federal government should aggressively enforce civil rights and consumer protections that apply to criminal background checks for employment in the public and private sectors.

Were getting into dangerous territory here by asking the government to step into private business and basically oversee their hiring process and determine what candidates to hire.

So what do we do? Without government intervention how do we solve this massive massive issue?

Not only is it a matter of public safety to ensure that all workers have job opportunities, but it is also critical for the struggling economy. No healthy economy can sustain such a large and growing population of unemployable workers, especially in those communities already hard hit by joblessness. Indeed, the impact on the economy is staggering. The cost of corrections at each level of government has increased 660 percent from 1982 to 2006, consuming $68 billion a year, 7 and the reduced output of goods and services of people with felonies and prison records is estimated at between $57 and $65 billion in losses.

The author of this article points out what one of the biggest problems we are facing with this issue and its recidivism. I keep asking everyone, whats going to happen when these 20 million people have nothing to lose, nowhere to live, and no food to eat?

Well... theyre going to take it or get into criminal activity in order to get by.

This increases availability and profits for organized crime on a massive scale. They also recruit in the prisons and exert a lot of control in prisons as well.

So how do we solve this problem people? What do we do?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:30 PM
Very interesting.

I think you forgot to link the article...

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:44 AM
a reply to: onequestion

So how do we solve this problem people? What do we do?

I bust my arse.

I am one of the 20 million.

I went to the local college for two years for Welding Technologies.

I am a tradesman that is still in school.

My work speaks for itself.

I do not make excuses.

I provide for my family.

"What can we do".

Should read what can you do because I AM DOING IT.

Education, determination, and hard work are the keys to changing one's life. Something so many people are lacking these days. Everyone wants to blame everyone and everything but themselves.

If you are a felon for robbery, be smart and don't apply for a cashier's position or a bank teller job.

edit on 26-12-2014 by liejunkie01 because: spelling

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:03 AM
I work in a secondary school so with kids, and have my CRB done every two/three years and just had to do one recently. I tried to refuse but because I work with kids I have no choice. I contacted the local education authority and they said that working with kids is one of the jobs where the CRB has to be checked for the safety of the kids (and I do get that one) but I have never done it in any other job I've had (although I've worked at the same place for nine years now) and always thought that excluding the people working with kids and the elderly, I think that the check should go as I think its an invasion of privacy much like the census that people have to fill in every couple years, I refused to do my and later found out that my flat mate did it instead of me and told them I was a satanist (which I'm not. I believe in a creator but dont belong to a religion).

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 08:40 AM
I have three friends with felonies. One pisses and moans non stop about not being able to find a good job. The other two have no clue why he whines so much as they both have great jobs.

There are great paying jobs out there even if you're a felon. You can whine all day long or you can work. It's really up to you.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:00 AM

Background Checks and Credit Checks are two things that private corporations do and have access to since it is public information, that in many cases they have recently data warehoused this information, there is a certain fear that all should have now that other information publicly available can be tracked back to individuals and also warehoused and synergized.

I do suspect that in the future it will become harder to get information from simply paying 19.99 from some online background check and getting a personalized dump of person's background, I don't like too much government but this is one area that needs to be throttled, as well as state to state wide variances on whether credit reports can be used in the employment decision making process, credit scores should only be used for one thing, that is to get retail credit no more, no less.

Most people do not realize how powerful this reality of warehousing is, the problem is that the government has chosen not start classifying certain information when it is in such concentrated formats, they do it with their own documents though, things that would be considered unclassified can become confidential or reclassified if there is a concentration of documents that can create a granular synergy of harmful information.

I think that background checks and credit checks although there is a logic for having them, do not in themselves deter or fully help identify the risks of hiring certain individuals that might cause harm to a company, it has been proven that just as many people that pass these very checks cause damage, it's been proven by security clearance as well when you look at some of the spies at the highest levels that have have betrayed their position, agency and country.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:08 AM
a reply to: liejunkie01

Right, I agree, but the the thing is virtually all jobs run background checks, whether they weigh heavily on the decision, I am not so sure, but nowadays not just teller positions at a bank run background checks, I think that is the issue, your choices are going to be somewhat limited you are unfortunate enough to have a record, the only way around that would be become an entrepreneur.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:45 AM
There should be limitations put on background checks. For instance, if it's been ten years should someone still be punished for their mistakes or should productive citizenship count for something.

A statute of limitations that would allow for criminal history to be rolled off if no other convictions are levied within a certain time frame, or at least able to be brought forth in any background check queries.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:57 AM
a reply to: gravitized

Oops, it's a research paper more than an article I'll add it in hen I get home thanks.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 09:59 AM

Before I tear your position and post apart let me ask a question that is anecdotal.

How did you support yourself through college for two years?

When I get home I'll finish my response.

edit on 12/26/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:55 AM
It`s not so much the employers who don`t want to hire criminals,their insurance company won`t let them hire criminals.

The insurance companies don`t want the risk of insuring criminals,if an employer hires a criminal his liability insurance will probably be canceled by the insurance company.
It`s always about money.

If criminals could buy their own personal liability insurance then the employer`s insurance companies wouldn`t have a problem with an employer hiring criminals.
Maybe that`s the next big insurance market, personal liability insurance for convicted criminals. similar to auto insurance, the longer you go without committing a crime the lower your rates would be.
High risk criminals would have high premiums and high deductibles.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 10:59 AM

Not that I don't agree with you...

The store I work at uses background checks. If you have so much as a DUI you won't get hired. Not even for a night stocker job.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:08 AM
I ran a non profit for several years and you wouldn't believe the number of people that wouldn't answer the "are you a registered sex offender" question. That was immediate sorry we don't need you no matter what your skills. We were dealing with low income home repairs.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:11 AM
Can a mod add this link to the OP please? Thanks in advance

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:15 AM
a reply to: mikell
I'm interested in solving problems not creating them.

How do you suggest that we as a community in America approach how we handle the individuals you refuse to let work?

Should we kill them right off the bat? Maybe we should force them to live in town square homeless and make them rely on the community for support .

Maybe we can create ghettos, nazieqsue and make them eat the trash leftover from everyone else in the community and cut them off from any and all services?

That sounds like something an advanced civilization would do.

No matter what your choosing to support these individuals with directly or indirectly so you should choose to support them by helping to solve the problem rather than excuses are it.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:16 AM
God forbid we allow employers to know anything about their prospective employees beside what the person tells them, right?

God forbid we allow employers to decide whether they want somebody with a violent criminal history wandering their halls.

God forbid we allow employers to decide whether they want somebody who has financial crimes in their record meandering around their building.

Despite the fact that any number of people with criminal records are able to find solid jobs and do well for themselves, I will offer this pro-tip: want a white collar six-figure job? Don't run around beating people up, don't rob anybody, don't stick your fingers in the till of your first job, etc.

It's pretty amazing how many doors open up when you don't run around breaking the law.
edit on 26-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Fat fingered it.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:22 AM
a reply to: Shamrock6
God forbid we give people a second chance.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:29 AM

You don't want to give people a second chance. You want to force business owners to give people a second chance. A second chance with THEIR business, with THEIR money, and THEIR employees.

There are any number of businesses around that are willing to work with all kinds of convicts. There are any number of businesses around who aren't willing to. It's THEIR business, THEIR money.

If you're going to tell them they have to hire convicts and aren't allowed to not hire people they don't want to hire, you may as well tell them they have to hire anybody who applies for a job. No discretion at all in the hiring process anymore, if somebody applies, you hire them. Sorry, it's the only way to be "fair."

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:37 AM
People who work with the public should be checked.

Post Falls, ID – December 5, 2014 – “Amateur Hour” theatrics ran amok as police arrested a 32-year-old convicted felon after he was spotted choking a woman during his failed attempt to repossess her vehicle.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 11:39 AM
a reply to: Shamrock6

Well said. This is my business and I'll hire who I deem fit. If you have face tats, ear pucks or a criminal history, I wont hire you.

Sorry you made bad choices in life, but that's not my problem.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>