It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Both Xbox Live and PlayStation Network downed by (supposed) DDOS attacks

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Well it's not like customers can get a hold of people at the corporate HQ or lizard squad. Sony and MS knew about this threat for over a month now, they could have released a statement instead of ignoring the threat.

If maybe they offered compensation if anything were to happen, or told people it was a possible for it to happen people wouldn't be as angry as they are. They knew it was going to happen and chose to ignore it.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Navieko

It was down for me earlier but now is back up . That was for the xbox live !

armakirais

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
a reply to: xDeadcowx

So people don't have the right to be angry because it hurts your feelings? You're acting entitled and irrational, you're a tech support person and don't expect to deal with angry customers?

People who are paying for a service don't deserve to be compensated for not getting said service they pay for? Especially on a day when A LOT of people just opened up their consoles today and can't even use it! Nope no reason to be angry at all! Geez...
Let me look up the DDoS attackers 1-800 number for y'as. Angry at tech support?=misdirected anger.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: jheated5

So yell at the tech support guy or girl cause that is all you can do?
What does that accomplish?
How about you put your self in their shoes and see how that logic sounds to you.

The people at tech support don't get to say what they haven't been told they are allowed to say.

You are right, sony and MS could have done something, but they didn't.
That of course is the fault of the customer support people and they should take the full backlash of it

And doesn't the first month of live come with a new xbox?
Or at least with the games that come with it, so if it is the people that just got the console/games, they don't have much room to ask for compensation since they are not paying for it yet

edit on thThu, 25 Dec 2014 19:10:15 -0600America/Chicago1220141580 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Huh, it's almost like Sony and Microsoft were warned something like this could happen before the consoles were released. I guess it could be worse. Microsoft could have gone with their original plans and the Xbox One could rely on the Internet even more. Oh well WiiU's got the stronger lineup right now and Steam's winter sale is going on. There's really no point to own a PS4 or XBone.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

So yell at the tech support guy or girl cause that is all you can do?
What does that accomplish?
How about you put your self in their shoes and see how that logic sounds to you.

The people at tech support don't get to say what they haven't been told they are allowed to say.

You are right, sony and MS could have done something, but they didn't.
That of course is the fault of the customer support people and they should take the full backlash of it
How about telling the kids to go outside and play with a stick?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: FarleyWayne
DownDetector - PlayStation

This map is the perfect example of a simple principal in action. More people=more cases. If you look at that map you'll notice that it's really just a population map.

To see this in a more humorous fashion
xkcd.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Emeraldous

The best part is that we can't comment on, or confirm in any way that its a DDOS attack. We have to feign ignorance and pretend its just a "temporary service issue".

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Emeraldous

This I agree with, they are not forced to play with the xbox/playstaion, they just want to.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I'm saying be realistic, if you work in tech or customer support you are where most of peoples anger is going to get directed. Not saying it's right but I'm not going to say people shouldn't be angry over the situation either.

I'm not angry over it, you say the anger is misdirected, well then I say so was his. Why should he be mad at customers for something they had no control over? Like I said, they knew this was going to happen, they should have told their employees this could happen and gave them proper training to prepare them for it. It was ignored.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Sure people have the right to be angry. But what does yelling at customer service accomplish? Absolutely nothing. Also what kind of compensation are these companies supposed to offer. Last I checked PSPlus costs $50/year (not sure what Live Gold costs). That comes out to ~$0.14/day. Do you want that credited to your account?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Yes they can get angry over it, but to vent to some person that did nothing to cause it makes zero sense.
I have been on the other end of those calls as well, you would be surprised the lengths people go and what they say.
No one deserves to be berated over something they had zero hand in

The people calling do have control over what and more importantly who they are mad at.
They are not mad at the person answering the phone, they are made at the people that did nothing to prevent it.
Rarely are those two in the same.

Again, all I am asking is to try and put your self on the other side of the phone and then think about the logic you are using.

Have you ever been yelled at by someone for a mistake that was not yours at your job?
If yes, how did that make you feel?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   

You're overlooking the blessing here. Tech support is a horrible job. It's not like people ever feel the urge to pick up a phone and call just to say that their service is working as expected. The odd positive call comes in, but the negatives outweigh the positives exponentially. Add that to the fact that the "me" generation has been steeped in a sense of entitlement and trained to demand unreasonable compensation whenever the opportunity arises and you end up with the "Hey, my service has been out for fifteen minutes... YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME A BRAND NEW GAMING SYSTEM FOR MY TIME!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME NAMELESS DRONE???"

Protip: The only job I can think of more stressful is Air Traffic Controller - so as you're looking over the job listings, bear that in mind.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5

I'm saying be realistic, if you work in tech or customer support you are where most of peoples anger is going to get directed. Not saying it's right but I'm not going to say people shouldn't be angry over the situation either.

I'm not angry over it, you say the anger is misdirected, well then I say so was his. Why should he be mad at customers for something they had no control over? Like I said, they knew this was going to happen, they should have told their employees this could happen and gave them proper training to prepare them for it. It was ignored.

He's not mad at customers he is frustrated from getting yelled at. Yes they can be trained to be the best at argument parry but people want quick concise results to which he cannot provide hence getting frustration yelling in his ear.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
So this is because they showed the film?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

The film has been a red-herring ever since day one of all that has happened. Even the original hack of Sony didn't mention the film in the demands. Sony is the one that freaked out and brought the movie into it. A real hack that IMO Sony tried to use as a marketing ploy... one that blew up in their faces and cost them untold hundreds of millions in lost revenue and lawsuits.

Supposedly there is something that the "hackers" have, still, that is potentially utterly devastating to Sony and the excuse for the attacks is still blackmail for money in exchange for keeping the secret.

That's the narrative.

But don't ask why Xbox is also under attack because then you wake up in a metallic ship, hairless and covered in holes with Lawrence Fishburn asking you how you feel.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Oh no...now everyone has to put down the controllers and talk to each other face to face over the holidays. Or read a book...

Seriously?

Get over it nerds!

Happy Festivus!

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Ahh.. the good old PC.. so refreshing.

Everything seems fine on my end

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

You're overlooking the blessing here. Tech support is a horrible job. It's not like people ever feel the urge to pick up a phone and call just to say that their service is working as expected. The odd positive call comes in, but the negatives outweigh the positives exponentially. Add that to the fact that the "me" generation has been steeped in a sense of entitlement and trained to demand unreasonable compensation whenever the opportunity arises and you end up with the "Hey, my service has been out for fifteen minutes... YOU ARE GOING TO GIVE ME A BRAND NEW GAMING SYSTEM FOR MY TIME!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME NAMELESS DRONE???"

Protip: The only job I can think of more stressful is Air Traffic Controller - so as you're looking over the job listings, bear that in mind.

I dealt with a cranky old cow named leelee.. i said "Ok and can I have your surname please." and she, in the most posh voice said "Dahling, I just told you my surname. I think I am old enough to know my own name. Now I've given you enough information, WILL YOU NOW GIVE ME SOME."

I quit that job after 2 weeks. Billing support and me... :/

I am not built to be sober around complete morons like that lol

As for the networks being out? *stops playing minesweeper* what was it that was down again?

edit on 25-12-2014 by sn0rch because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide
a reply to: deadeyedick

The film has been a red-herring ever since day one of all that has happened. Even the original hack of Sony didn't mention the film in the demands. Sony is the one that freaked out and brought the movie into it. A real hack that IMO Sony tried to use as a marketing ploy... one that blew up in their faces and cost them untold hundreds of millions in lost revenue and lawsuits.

Supposedly there is something that the "hackers" have, still, that is potentially utterly devastating to Sony and the excuse for the attacks is still blackmail for money in exchange for keeping the secret.

That's the narrative.

But don't ask why Xbox is also under attack because then you wake up in a metallic ship, hairless and covered in holes with Lawrence Fishburn asking you how you feel.

At this point it is all very complicated and i get your point but shutting down those two training platforms would be an easy way to take a chunk from the overall download of the film. So the film still has some relevance in these actions. I do not think there are many other easier targets that could interrupt the download with as much bang for the effort. I know you know of that list of countries that were said to be targets for the nwo and most of them are gone now.

thanks for the info and merry christmas to all of ats
edit on 25-12-2014 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join