It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop With This Talk of 'Black Culture,' As If Blacks Are A Singular Entity

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I have been finding myself getting really frustrated as of late by racist thoughts and comments that people have, that seems to be more common than we would like to think. Just now I was talking with my mom, and we ended up talking about police violence and disparity of the enforcement of the law between whites and blacks. And she said some stuff that to me was racist, and it got me quite angry. And my mom is a good person, she is not 'really' racist, like she doesn't and wouldn't speak badly of or mistreat someone because they are black. But it demonstrated to me that there is still some somewhat racist ideas in there, despite her being in general a good person, and that along with a lot of the things I read on here just makes me think it's much more common than we think. It's not generally so explicit nowadays. It's just something subtle and basically subconscious that tints perception.

And a lot of it has to do with acting as though blacks are some singular entity, speaking of 'black culture.' What she basically said, which along with her defense of her statement seemed to me racist, was 'look at the way blacks are rioting and causing all this havoc cuz a black guy was killed by a cop. If a white person were killed by a cop, I guarantee they wouldn't be rioting like this.' And then in the dialogue about this just it seemed to me was acting like black people are these wild irrational creatures, as opposed to the composed civilized white people. And you can see on here over and over people talking about 'black culture,' and associating it with crime and murder and all of this stuff. And I'm getting tired of it. If a white person or a group of white people does something bad, it's just some group of bad people. If a black person or a group of black people does something bad, they are a reflection of 'black culture.' And so you are associating their behavior with their being 'black,' and then from there any black person you see gets associated with this negative notion of 'black culture' you have concocted.

And this is exactly why the non-explicit racism still exists. This is why there is still a clear and significant statistical bias against blacks at every step of the legal system. Because of this tendency to see blacks as this singular entity, with its 'black culture.' And then when you see black people doing something bad, he continues to paint the notions of 'black culture.' And so cops and judges, along with many other in society, keep seeing these negative ideas of what 'black culture' constitutes whenever they see a black person, thus they are more likely to be suspected, more likely to be arrested, more likely to be put in jail, more likely to be put to death. The cops and judges I am sure in most cases do not consciously and explicitly think to themselves it is because they are black. Rather their perception is subconsciously tinged due to the association of any black person with this terrible notion of 'black culture' they have. And so we need to stop with this whole idea of 'black culture,' as if blacks are one entity. And when you see a black person doing something bad, don't associate it with 'black culture.' Individuals are individuals.
edit on 25-12-2014 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TheJourney

And a lot of it has to do with acting as though blacks are some singular entity, speaking of 'black culture.'

Black culture, its a thing. Look up Asian culture, or you can even be more specific, Japanese culture, Chinese culture. Even though those two are completely different they do share many similarities in some aspects. But then again, you can get more specific, Hokkain culture, Tawainese culture....

Etc, etc, etc.

Just like black culture could be referencing the population in the US, you could get specific and say the Islands black culture, or African culture.

Not racist, but to think its racist seems like to me.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

I tend to call it 'ghetto culture'. I even call the language 'ghetto speak', as I know plenty of people of all races that talk like they are from the ghetto, but live in upscale neighborhoods.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

And a lot of it has to do with acting as though blacks are some singular entity, speaking of 'black culture.'

Black culture, its a thing. Look up Asian culture, or you can even be more specific, Japanese culture, Chinese culture. Even though those two are completely different they do share many similarities in some aspects. But then again, you can get more specific, Hokkain culture, Tawainese culture....

Etc, etc, etc.

Just like black culture could be referencing the population in the US, you could get specific and say the Islands black culture, or African culture.

If all you took from my thread was whether or whether not black culture was a thing, you clearly didn't actually read or comprehend my post...

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

xen·o·pho·bi·a ˌzenəˈfōbēə,ˌzēnəˈfōbēə/ noun noun: xenophobia

intense or irrational dislike or fear of people from other countries. Translate xenophobia to Use over time for: xenophobia

And I'll posit, fear of other cultures.

"Not One Of Us"
Peter Gabriel

It's only water
In a stranger's tear
Looks are deceptive
But distinctions are clear
A foreign body
And a foreign mind
welcome In the land of the blind
You may look like we do
Talk like we do
But you know how it is
You're not one of us
Not one of us
No you're not one of us
Not one of us
Not one of us
No you're not one of us
There's safety in numbers
When you learn to divide

How can we be in
If there is no outside
All shades of opinion
Feed an open mind
But your values are twisted
Let us help you unwind
You may look like we do
Talk like we do -But you know how it is
You're not one of us
Not one of us
No you're not one of us

-NF
edit on 25-12-2014 by nullafides because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
The end of civilization is here. We will all fall divided because together we can't live. The awakening is too late for the majority. Sad fact but it is true. Stay true to yourselves and out of the ashes we shall be ONE

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: boncho

Etc, etc, etc.

Well, when people use the term 'black culture' on here, it is often in reference to 'drugs, murder, illegitimate babies, and rioting.' Is this what black culture constitutes to you? I don't have a problem with the idea of black culture. But I see people on here associate 'black culture' with purely negative things time and time again. And that obviously fuels racism.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Well I think most people were referring to how the "Ghetto" culture acts but as of lately, even the so called educated ones are pulling their stuff. Did you hear about the ivy league college ones, who are saying because of the stress of the Mike Brown case, they are demanding that they get a passing grade in COLLEGE and that noone get below a C even if they do not earn it? Would these same people also act like a fool if they were told no? Black Culture is an issue and their music tells their story.

I am sorry but when you have educated people, like Obama and holder etc, who clearly do not have the brain capacity to see the truth in most of the shootings... It shows a culture. A culture of we do what we want regardless if born with a silver spoon or in the ghetto.

DingleBerry
edit on 25-12-2014 by DingleBerry80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: DingleBerry80

Well I think most people were referring to how the "Ghetto" culture acts but as of lately, even the so called educated ones are pulling their stuff. Did you hear about the ivy league college ones, who are saying because of the stress of the Mike Brown case, they are demanding that they get a passing grade in COLLEGE and that noone get below a C even if they do not earn it? Would these same people also act like a fool if they were told no? Black Culture is an issue and their music tells their story.

I am sorry but when you have educated people, like Obama and holder etc, who clearly do not have the brain capacity to see the truth in most of the shootings... It shows a culture. A culture of we do what we want regardless if born with a silver spoon or in the ghetto.

DingleBerry

So your point is that all black people, regardless of education or social class, have small brain capacity and are irrational and entitled? I am honestly shocked at the racism I have been seeing on here.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Name the last time a group of Asians or Whites or anyone has gotten into a group, and did something extreme. Murder etc.

Then name the culture who does it every single night of every day? Your answer bud.

DingleBerry

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Name the last time a group of Asians or Whites or anyone has gotten into a group, and did something extreme. Murder etc.

Then name the culture who does it on a nightly basis in every big city? Your answer bud.

DingleBerry

Hey, at least you are open about your racism. Better than people who hide it, I suppose.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

I believe that you've taken a non-offensive generic term or label and projected your own interpretations or issues into it. Black people happen to be very proud of their culture, as they should - and as all people should. It is part of what defines our self-image and gives us links to our distant past and ancestory.

Trying to represent it as a negative phrase only demonstrates that you interpret the term negatively and are projecting.

Sorry to be blunt, but truth sometimes requires more instrospection than most of us are comfortable with.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

I believe that you've taken a non-offensive generic term or label and projected your own interpretations or issues into it. Black people happen to be very proud of their culture, as they should - and as all people should. It is part of what defines our self-image and gives us links to our distant past and ancestory.

Trying to represent it as a negative phrase only demonstrates that you interpret the term negatively and are projecting.

Sorry to be blunt, but truth sometimes requires more instrospection than most of us are comfortable with.

Well, when people use the term 'black culture' on here, it is often in reference to 'drugs, murder, illegitimate babies, and rioting.' Is this what black culture constitutes to you? I don't have a problem with the idea of black culture. But I see people on here associate 'black culture' with purely negative things time and time again. And that obviously fuels racism.

As I said, I don't have a problem with black culture itself. But I have seen people on here time and time again associate it with purely negative things. Which is what I have a problem with. It's pretty obvious from the content of the OP what I have a problem with, and it's not black people taking pride in their culture. Read the last few posts. You have someone explicitly saying that all black people, regardless of education levels or any other factor, are irrational, violent and entitled. And that is 'black culture.' Is that a reflection of my own negative interpretation of the term?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheJourney

Then name the culture who does it on a nightly basis in every big city? Your answer bud.

DingleBerry

Hey, at least you are open about your racism. Better than people who hide it, I suppose.

That is the main thing here!!! You call it racism! I am stating FACTS. Why is the FACT that certain people are much more prone to cause violence racist?

DingleBerry

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

DingleBerry

That is the main thing here!!! You call it racism! I am stating FACTS. Why is the FACT that certain people are much more prone to cause violence racist?

DingleBerry

The definition of racism: the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Take it up with the people who write dictionaries.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

As I said, I don't have a problem with black culture itself. But I have seen people on here time and time again associate it with purely negative things. Which is what I have a problem with. It's pretty obvious from the content of the OP what I have a problem with, and it's not black people taking pride in their culture. Read the last few posts. You have someone explicitly saying that all black people, regardless of education levels or any other factor, are irrational and violent. And that is 'black culture.' Is that a reflection of my own negative interpretation of the term?

You do not have a problem with their culture??!? "Kill some cops, smoke some crack, take some honies to the shack* I got bill's I foe reelz, I got many oxy pills*They are making money for what I just made up, and a lot of their music doesn't even rhyme or make sense. Where is my fortune.

DingleBerry

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

DingleBerry

DingleBerry

Actually, I'm curious how you define racism. Since saying 'all black people regardless of education levels or any other factor are violent, irrational, and entitled' is not racist according to you. So what is racist?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

As I said, I don't have a problem with black culture itself. But I have seen people on here time and time again associate it with purely negative things. Which is what I have a problem with. It's pretty obvious from the content of the OP what I have a problem with, and it's not black people taking pride in their culture. Read the last few posts. You have someone explicitly saying that all black people, regardless of education levels or any other factor, are irrational and violent. And that is 'black culture.' Is that a reflection of my own negative interpretation of the term?

You do not have a problem with their culture??!? "Kill some cops, smoke some crack, take some honies to the shack* They are making money for what I just made up, and a lot of their music doesn't even rhyme or make sense. Where is my fortune.

DingleBerry

lol. You are so proving my point. You're literally creating a caricature of all black people as 'kill some cops, smoke some crack, take some homies to the shack.' Really? Really? Yea, that really sums up black people. And the fact that you and those defending that viewpoint get stars in this thread and elsewhere. I am actually really starting to get concerned about what seriously seems to be quite a racist presence on this forum. But oh yea, saying all black people are violent irrational murderers who smoke crack with their 'homies' isn't racist, so I guess not.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   

DingleBerry

DingleBerry

Actually, I'm curious how you define racism. Since saying 'all black people regardless of education levels or any other factor are violent, irrational, and entitled' is not racist according to you. So what is racist?

Racist to me is not liking an entire race because of their race. I will judge a person based on THEM and their character. I have met fine black people. But, the majority of the culture is an issue.

DingleBerry

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
If Aliens landed on Earth and started killing on site and blowing up cities, you would have in your mind, that these aliens are bad right? Now if a few of those aliens deflected from their group, came up to you, and said "we conquer planets, that is why we are here, but we do not agree and come in peace, and will help you" You would not have any problem with them right? It is basic logical fact.

DingleBerry

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join