It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sony streams 'The Interview' online and makes Hollywood history

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
Okay. That was a seriously lame movie. All this uproar for what? Just...wow.

I could not agree more.
Stopped watching after 40 minutes.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I watched the claymation Santa Clause is Coming to Town then the Interview. Weirdest double feature ever.

The Interview was just okay. The only time I laughed out loud was during the tiger scene. I would not recommend buying it. If you have Netflix. It should be on there in a few days.

I do not think think this is a historical moment. Lots of movies come out on video on demand, same day as theaters. The only shake up this may cause is more movies that are normally released in January, or other fake controversial movies, will be released online same day as theater. There is not going to be any big budget AAA titles released this way. In other words you will not be seeing the next Star Wars or Avengers movie released this way. Just movies that were gonna suck and not make much theater money anyways.

edit on 25-12-2014 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I always took pride in ensuring that Hollywood did not profit when ever i watched a film even before this BS from Sony and the US Government started by using Bit-Torrents to get my films for free.

History was not made in Hollywood or by the History Channel which feeds us nothing but lies most of the time
edit on 25-12-2014 by VirusGuard because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
WELCOME to net neutrality!
GOODBYE networks.

Huh? We've been living with net neutrality for quite some time. If anything this is a threat to net neutrality.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Both Youtube and Google are saying that the film is getting lots of views but them being state puppets, well they would say that even if it was a total flop.

Make no mistake Google/Youtube distaught peoples view on the internet and they hide more news and web sites than they show.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What a freakin' joke this was

LOL

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: kloejen
What a freakin' joke this was

LOL

Yep. Joke is a pretty good description. One thing we're really good at these days: We sure know how to spin up about...nothing.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo
haha this means we get bluray quality releases before the discs are out LOL. Crazy Sony.

And i thought they were commited to stopping terrorists i mean piracy LOL.

Merry Christmas to all btw!
The way of the future :cough:
;D

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadeyedick
WELCOME to net neutrality!
GOODBYE networks.
I will a pre-hack of that idea upon you ;p

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Since it was on YouTube for free.

I don't get how the US government, and a Japanese corporation is 'laughing all the way to the bank'.

Free= Government, and Sony laughing all the way to the bank.

The corporate hatred runs deep on this site. People will just make snip up.

I checked ATS tonite to see if NK nuked hollywood.

Anyone glowing in the dark yet?
edit on 25-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I agree that there is no history being made here, at least none of any significance. Streaming movies is nothing new, and the only novel thing about this is that the movie bypassed the theaters, except maybe for a select few. In fact, the movies that are not good enough to even go to theaters have already done this. They go from being produced to being available online and in hard-copy form. Then there is the fact that Sony was not doing this with the intent of changing anything, rather it appears they were taking one of the only three options available to them, IF all the hacking claims were true. At the end of the day Sony will come out ahead in this deal. Perhaps they will do even better than if they had released it in the regular manner. Think of all the publicity that has been created for this movie with the hacking claims, and the clamor of North Korea. Many more people will wish to see this movie just to see what all the fuss was about.

And then they are charging people 6 dollars to stream it online, and will make a killing from that. And the amount they're charging for a download is pretty high as well, considering you can see a new movie for the same price, or even cheaper, in the theater. Again, at the end of the day, they have done just fine. I would go so far as to claim that it is possible that they chose this method not because of North Korea's threats, like they actually care about the people more than profit, but because they are motivated by profits. Whether that is wrong or right is debatable, but I don't feel sorry for them by any means.
edit on 12/25/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: neo96

It wasn't on Youtube for free...Sony is charging like $6 to rent or $15 to own and streaming it on Youtube Movies, Google Play, XBox Video, and a site Sony threw up for that purpose. It was also released to some 300 (from what I've read) independent theaters with enhanced security.

It was not available on iTunes, which reportedly said no despite White House involvement, Amazon, or the Sony PlayStation Network, which will have it soon,

Coincidentally and maybe related or not related, Xbox, Playstation have been offiline most of today (or off and on since yesterday) due to cyber attacks, and so has Sony Entertainment.

Not sure if Google Play and Youtube (owned by Google) are being attacked and able to fight it off or not.

Seems it was available on a lot of the free sites, but it's unclear as to whehter it was released by hackers (who allegedly stole at least five movies) or (more likely) by someone who paid the $6 and then shared.
edit on 12/25/2014 by ~Lucidity because: 300 theaters, not 100

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
The movie screamed for attention from the start.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I hate to say this, but i think the whole " sony hack" was a viral marketing campaign.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ~Lucidity

It wasn't on Youtube for free...Sony is charging like $6

I noticed it. I couldn't believe that the movie was getting around 66,000 or so likes plus with its comments section disabled.

So Much For Freedom eh?

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

Yeah, and I'm no movie critic, but it seemed to me like a worn out, regurgitated script from a few other bad movies all rolled into one. I'd call it embarrassing for those on both sides of this ridiculous cyber war.

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Hijinx

If it was a campaign for publicity that got the government involved, they ought to be arrested and fined/charged for...something.

The review was for beer? Or did you review the movie? LOL

I wish I liked beer but I just don't

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: Agent_USA_Supporter

Yeah, and I'm no movie critic, but it seemed to me like a worn out, regurgitated script from a few other bad movies all rolled into one. I'd call it embarrassing for those on both sides of this ridiculous cyber war.

I watched it for 'free' last nite.

And I am a movie critic. Hell I loved the Drudge Headline: "Freedom to make crap"

thehill.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Anyone who pays for The Interview is getting ripped off.

Honestly John Travolta's character in Swordfish summed up hollywood over a decade ago rather nicely.

edit on 26-12-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

Agreed. It sucks. But to be fair, I snoozed through the middle. Haha.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Oh geez...

What a crock of spit headline: For moviegoers, 'patriotic duty' to see 'The Interview'

I literally threw up a little in my mouth. This is virtually the very same CNN page/story/video that I first saw Wednesday copied with a new headline.

A few hours later, the movie opened at the Cinema Village theater in the Greenwich Village neighborhood of New York City. Some of the film's fans waiting in line said "The Interview" wasn't just holiday entertainment, but a "patriotic duty" in defense of freedom of expression.

"It is a celebration of the constitution. It's very important to show that any idea can be expressed," said Willie Jasso, who was first in line.

edit on 12/26/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join