It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Syrian Predicament

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:41 AM
link   

The Revolution

It has been three years since the revolution started in Syria to over throw the Syrian Dictator . With over 2,00,000 dead , millions forced out of their homes and their livelihoods destroyed. A significant portion of the country has been turned into a war zone . The question which should be asked is, how long will the bloodshed continue and what will it take to stop this conflict. The war in Syria is a reminder of what can go wrong and how a well intended revolution of removing a dictator can turn into an unending nightmare .

History being Erased

Syria had some of the oldest and most cultivated literary heritage . The Music , story telling and artistry which dated back to thousands of years .Syria was also dotted with ancient architecture, From Ruins of Elba dating back to 3000BC, the Roman theater in Bosra, the Church of Saint Simeon Stylites near Aleppo which is considered the oldest surviving church in Syria to the Assyrian temple at Tell Shiek Hamad. Many of these historical sites has been either completely destroyed or severely damaged either due to the fighting or due to Extremist forces like Al Nusra and many others deliberately destroying similar sites.

Economy

Syrian Economy was diverse and booming with more than 12% of the economy coming from the tourism industry alone . The Oil and Gas industry was providing upto 20% of the revenue .The Syrian economy grew at an average of 7 to 8% . The Economic ramifications of the war has been Catastrophic with unemployment in Syria at an all time high those who have work are forced to spend all the money they get on basic necessities .The well educated Citizens who are often the backbone of any country are forced to move out of the country leaving the country with less qualified personal .

The infrastructure of the country is in Shambles forcing the companies in Syria to move their industry and personal abroad to either Egypt or Turkey. Combined that with the sanctions imposed by the western countries of the life of the people in Syria is in dire need of help . Up to 60 percent of the population of the country is in poverty as compared to 30% before the war .

The Sanctions from western economies have also lead to increased smuggling and other underground economies to popup . Europeans freezing of Syrian bank accounts have lead to the shortage of funds in the country leading to less funds to run medical and other vital services . This is extremely reminiscent to what happened in Iraq after the gulf war in 1990 which lead to the destruction of infrastructure and other medical services leading to the alleged deaths of 5,00,000 children . When the question was posed to Madeline Albright her answer was “ The price we think was price was worth it”.

Society

Syria was one of the few secular and progressive societies in the middle east which did not have any extremist influences . Assad and his father even though a dictator was able to maintain a secular modern society were people from different religious backgrounds could live peacefully. The Wahhabi influence which is dominating the other Middle eastern countries had failed to breach Syria, Same can be said in case of Gaddafi in Libya and Saddam Hussein in Iraq were terrorism and extremism was non existent until the intervention of the western powers.The revolution in Syria gave an opportunity for a seemingly well intended revolutionary movement to be tainted by extremist and Wahhabi ideology.

The position of a society can be described by the status of their women. The Syrian society was had female entrepreneurs doctors , scientists ,public servants and even airline pilots . Woman rode around in two wheelers , cars to their work places . They had the freedom of any society to express themselves in any way they wanted . Now large parts of Syria which are not controlled by Syrian Govt. are either controlled by Al Nusra or ISIS . Majority of women in these places has been either forced to convert to Islam or the women here have been kidnapped and forcefully married of to terrorists, now the reports of ISIS having brothels were woman are reportedly raped up to 50 times a day makes it quiet certain that life under the Assad Regime was far more open and safer for the women.

Aftermath

As the war rages on in Syria Assad regime which was once known for its dictatorship has turned out to be the sole hope of the Syrian people . Many of the revolutionaries who truly intended to bring democracy in Syria who joined the FSA has been forced back into joining the Syrian Army due to the extremist elements in the FSA and their allies. The fact that Assad Regime has survived 3 years in a civil war and is also making progress in the war proves that Assad regime had a lot of local support. The National Defense forces is entirely filled with Syrian volunteers.

The unfortunate fact about the revolution in Syria is that it was used by external forces to change the status-quo in Syria to their favor on the expense of the Syrian people. One can only hope and prey that peace will return to Syria one day but that is improbable unless the developed countries involved in Syria put aside their political goals and focus on the Humanitarian crisis existing in Syria .

This is the first article i wrote on my own and a topic i felt compelled to write about . It was only proper for me to start in ATS .
edit on 24-12-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-12-2014 by maddy21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: maddy21

The Revolution

It has been three years since the revolution started in Syria to over throw the Syrian Dictator . With over 2,00,000 dead , millions forced out of their homes and their livelihoods destroyed. A significant portion of the country has been turned into a war zone . The question which should be asked is, how long will the bloodshed continue and what will it take to stop this conflict. The war in Syria is a reminder of what can go wrong and how a well intended revolution of removing a dictator can turn into an unending nightmare .

History being Erased

Syria had some of the oldest and most cultivated literary heritage . The Music , story telling and artistry which dated back to thousands of years .Syria was also dotted with ancient architecture, From Ruins of Elba dating back to 3000BC, the Roman theater in Bosra, the Church of Saint Simeon Stylites near Aleppo which is considered the oldest surviving church in Syria to the Assyrian temple at Tell Shiek Hamad. Many of these historical sites has been either completely destroyed or severely damaged either due to the fighting or due to Extremist forces like Al Nusra and many others deliberately destroying similar sites.

Economy

Syrian Economy was diverse and booming with more than 12% of the economy coming from the tourism industry alone . The Oil and Gas industry was providing upto 20% of the revenue .The Syrian economy grew at an average of 7 to 8% . The Economic ramifications of the war has been Catastrophic with unemployment in Syria at an all time high those who have work are forced to spend all the money they get on basic necessities .The well educated Citizens who are often the backbone of any country are forced to move out of the country leaving the country with less qualified personal .

The infrastructure of the country is in Shambles forcing the companies in Syria to move their industry and personal abroad to either Egypt or Turkey. Combined that with the sanctions imposed by the western countries of the life of the people in Syria is in dire need of help . Up to 60 percent of the population of the country is in poverty as compared to 30% before the war .

The Sanctions from western economies have also lead to increased smuggling and other underground economies to popup . Europeans freezing of Syrian bank accounts have lead to the shortage of funds in the country leading to less funds to run medical and other vital services . This is extremely reminiscent to what happened in Iraq after the gulf war in 1990 which lead to the destruction of infrastructure and other medical services leading to the alleged deaths of 5,00,000 children . When the question was posed to Madeline Albright her answer was “ The price we think was price was worth it”.

Society

Syria was one of the few secular and progressive societies in the middle east which did not have any extremist influences . Assad and his father even though a dictator was able to maintain a secular modern society . The Wahhabi influence which had dominated other Middle eastern countries had failed to breach Syria.The revolution in Syria and the civil war gave an opportunity for a seemingly well intended revolutionary movement to be tainted by extremist and Wahhabi mindset.

The position of a society can be described by the status of their women. The Syrian society was filled female entrepreneurs doctors , scientists ,public servants and even airline pilots . Woman rode around in two wheelers , cars to their work places . They had the freedom of any society to express themselves in any way they wanted . Now large parts of Syria which are not controlled by Syrian Govt. are either controlled by Al Nusra or ISIS . Majority of women in these places has been either forced to convert to Islam or the women here have been kidnapped and forcefully married of to terrorists, now the reports of ISIS having brothels were woman are reportedly raped up to 50 times a day makes it quiet certain that life under the Assad Regime was far more open and safer for the women.

Aftermath

As the war rages on in Syria Assad regime which was once known for its dictatorship has turned out to be the sole hope of the Syrian people . Many of the revolutionaries who truly intended to bring democracy in Syria who joined the FSA has been forced back into joining the Syrian Army due to the extremist elements in the FSA and their allies. The fact that Assad Regime has survived 3 years in a civil war and is also making progress in the war proves that Assad regime had a lot of local support. The National Defense forces is entirely filled with Syrian volunteers.

The unfortunate fact about the revolution in Syria is that it was used by external forces to change the status-quo in Syria to their favor on the expense of the Syrian people. One can only hope and prey that peace will return to Syria one day but that is improbable unless the developed countries involved in Syria put aside their political goals and focus on the Humanitarian crisis existing in Syria .

This is the first article i wrote on my own and a topic i felt compelled to write about . It was only proper for me to start in ATS .

Good post. The Syrian civil war is a classic proxy war, wherein western aligned countries are funding, training, and arming rebels and foreign fighters to execute regime change on a Russia/Iran aligned legitimate leader.

It is sad that once again a country and people are caught in the crossfire. There is blood on a lot of people's hands, not least of which is our government.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Assad is the legitimate elected president of Syria. He has "national" support from the Syrian people in a very secular nation. The anti-west governments, specifically Iran, will rebuild Syria and make it more formidable than before.

Go to youtube and watch footage of the Syrian army snipers, air force and ground troops taking care of business. ISIS cowards are returning to their home countries and being jailed. This conflict will come to an end soon, with the Syrian people victorious.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: maddy21

Good write up

It's sick what has happened to Syria. One of the true ancient societies that even though largely Islamic holds onto the Judeo Christian culture that spread around the globe will now see it erased if Assad is deposed and IS takes over.

Too many interfering outside influences as you say. Interesting article well put there Maddy

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Good job maddy, a well written piece

Not much more I can add to it, Syria was used and abused by western powers to satisfy their own needs, hopefully one day they will find justice.
edit on 24-12-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

legitimate leader.

Considering Assad's father ruled for nearly three decades, then decided his son would take over...

I'm guessing that's not too legitimate...

The people want rid of the Assad regime...

It started before "Western intervention"...

So the people of Syria wanted him gone prior to the conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: solarstorm

Go to youtube and watch footage of the Syrian army snipers, air force and ground troops taking care of business.

If you call Barrel Bombs & Airstikes on women & children "taking care of business"...

Then good luck to you.
edit on 24-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

legitimate leader.

Considering Assad's father ruled for nearly three decades, then decided his son would take over...

Point is he is a far better leader than any of the opposition out there .It no longer matters who wanted him gone what matters is the replacement is a million times worse than Assad.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

legitimate leader.

Assumption number one: Western democracy defines legitimacy. There are dozens of countries with kings, life long dictators, etc.
Second false assumption: Most Syrians wanted him gone. He actually is strongly supported by a large majority of Syrians. Yes, CNN lied.
Third false implication: That the west has the right to engage in proxy wars to remove him, violating Syrian sovereignty.
Fourth false assumption: That the West has any care or worry about democracy and human rights in Syria and that is why they are intervening.

Sorry,if you are still buying the western media version of what is going on you are misinformed. This is exactly what I said, a geo-political proxy war on a global chess board, veiled in claims of citizen uprising and human rights.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: sosobad

Good job maddy, a well written piece

Not much more I can add to it, Syria was used and abused by western powers to satisfy their own needs, hopefully one day they will find justice.

I get worried about our collective karma as the west. The west, including with this Syrian proxy war, have a huge amount of blood and evil on their hands.

Who was it, Thomas Jefferson, who said: "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that his justice cannot sleep forever."

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
And what all westerners need to get through their heads is that the west has NO legal, moral, or military right to remove leaders and regimes at will, even if they are not perfect. We are NOT the world police. We have NO legal right to violate sovereignty. It is illegal under international law to act unilaterally in such a way. Even the UN does not have the right collectively to simply decapitate a regime, even if they have a Chapter VII military resolution from the Security Council.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Assumption number one: Western democracy defines legitimacy. There are dozens of countries with kings, life long dictators, etc.
Second false assumption: Most Syrians wanted him gone. He actually is strongly supported by a large majority of Syrians. Yes, CNN lied.
Third false implication: That the west has the right to engage in proxy wars to remove him, violating Syrian sovereignty.
Fourth false assumption: That the West has any care or worry about democracy and human rights in Syria and that is why they are intervening.

1) I never assumed different...
2) That's not a recorded fact... It's an opinion... In any case I never said "most"...
3) I don't know what you read from my post, but I never said anything to do with that...
4) Another opinion...

Sorry,if you are still buying the western media version of what is going on you are misinformed.

I'm not misinformed at all...

Only the Syrian Airforce with Assad's orders have the capability to Airstrike & Barrel Bomb women & children...
The rebels & IS have no Air Capabilities...

So if you put two & two together, and come to a honest & only acceptable answer... Assad is a murdering dictator.

May I ask where you get your "version" of events?

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

a reply to: solarstorm

Go to youtube and watch footage of the Syrian army snipers, air force and ground troops taking care of business.

If you call Barrel Bombs & Airstikes on women & children "taking care of business"...

Then good luck to you.

And can I ask you, do you support Israel attacking densely packed areas, using the justification that militants or weapons are hid there?

Assad's regime has attacked some urban areas, but that is because there are also rebels. He actually has a far greater justification, that this is a full blown civil war, funded and armed by powerful countries, and the rebels actually took much of the country, and they are armed with far more powerful weapons than the Palestinians. Moreover, once a civil war rages in an urban area both sides are guilty of attacking urban embattlements. Or, a normal war, once urban fighting happens all of this is almost unavoidable.

You know.. like Stalingrad? Or street fighting in Berlin? Or countless other situations?

A little known fact in the west, purposefully concealed by the media, is that that as of the spring of 2013 almost half of the civilian deaths were due to the anti-Assad forces. CNN and Fox didn't tell you that did they? They would just keep talking and implying that Assad caused 100,000+ deaths. Actually not true, half of those were from rebels.

edit on 24-12-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I don't have to put two and two together. Unlike most people on here, I studied with officials on the Security Council on this very issue. Not only that, I attended for example events with the very team of experts who were the chemical weapons inspectors. My version of events comes from probably the closest proximity to experts in the US on this as anyone on here, and a whole lot of study on geo-political events, not to mention graduate degrees in it. Can I ask you where you got your views?

1) Yes you did, you implied that the family dynasty was not legitimate based on family lineage power. Reread your original comment.

2) There isn't a poll or evidence beyond the western media saying so that a majority of Syrians wanted Assad gone. Please cite sources for your original claim.

3) Your viewpoint about legitimacy and his dictatorship in response to the original poster implied that all of this is okay because of his illegitimacy. Moreover, most people, including western media and politicians, have been calling for his removal and the support of rebels by invoking his dictatorship and asserted human rights violations and supposed will of the people. I am both addressing your point and how your point is used by the powers that be to manipulate people into the very proxy war we are in now.

4) How is my point four an opinion? For three years the West has been castigating Assad and calling for his removal EXACTLY using the claims of democracy, will of the people, and human rights. Any person who studies this enough knows that isn't why the west is involved.
edit on 24-12-2014 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Assad protects the Christians. Isis kills them. As a Christian I support Assad as he protects the cradle of Christianity. Who from a Christian background would support Isis? As Assad and Lavrov have pointed out the west has been supporting the wrong side on this one.

I've always been a supprter of Israel and their right to exist somewhere but they got it wrong here. By supporting rebels they are helping create a monster that will one day come at them. Stupid thing to do and Israel should back down from backing the rebels and use their power in Washington to effect change with the Arab rebel backers Saudi etc

a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   

What has any of that got to do with what I said!

You cannot debate the fact that only Assad has the means to launch Airstrikes & Barrel Bombs...
& if you search google you will find many stories of innocent civilians he has murdered.

I never said anything of the sort than Assad has killed all of the victims of this civil war, so I don't know why you mentioned that.

And you can stop assuming where I get my information...
I don't watch Fox or CNN. So they didn't tell me anything.

Why didn't you answer my question?

Where do you get your "version" of events...?
So everyone at ATS can see your sources & that may help you convince people that this is all just a Western Proxy...

Until then, good day.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

1) No I didn't say anything about the West defining legitimacy...
Yes I did say the family dynasty is illegitimate & I stand by it because I believe in democracy.

2) What claim?
That people wanted the Assad regime gone... If you need proof of that you're wasting my time as its common knowledge.

3) Like I said originally, I don't know where you got the idea that this response has anything to do with what I said.

4) It's an opinion because you cannot prove that the West isn't concerned about Human Rights. It's your input, it's an opinion.

You really need to work on your reading comprehension because most of what you said has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thank you Maddy . There is still a glimmer of hope for Syria but it most defiantly is not going to come from the west at least from any kind of a political hope . a reply to: maddy21

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

That's the best you got when confronted with the facts on Assad's 'legitimacy'??? The guy is simply another Middle East Despot who will kill everyone and blow up everything to remain in power.

How can you call it a 'Proxy War' when it was the people that rose up first against the Despot? There is no reason to believe foreign agents stirred up the people against Assad. They had built up grievances and saw everyone else trying to kill their despot so decided to give it a try. Only after this very organic uprising did other countries come in, pick sides and make the civil war last so long. It is a Civil War with external support from other countries, not a famous 'Proxy War'.

Spread a bunch of 'the media fooled you' when you don't like people telling you the truth...like it actually wins arguments. If I had a nickel for everyone who used that around here I'd be rich. Dates of the start of civil wars don't lie. People looking back a few years and putting their biased spins on it do.

Assad is a two bit despot backed by a Russian credit card for his military. The revolutionaries are backed by multiple Middle Eastern countries that religiously are opposed to Assad. The vast majority of people in Syria trying to kill Assad are Syrians.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I think Russia is playing both sides in Syria/Iraq.

They do not want any natural gas pipelines going into Europe.

Russia has their own new plan with Turkey for a pipeline.

Competition is bad for Russia.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join