It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING NEWS: Clashes Break Out Following Another Police Shooting Near St Louis

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
The only thing I can think of that is strange is this: If the kid drew the gun then this cop must be the fastest gun in the west.
Unless the officer already had his gun out.

How does he draw so fast?

He sees the kid draw and then quickly draws his gun...why didn't the kid get a shot off.

Just asking questions have no opinion on what happened other than what is apparent.

Why do you assume a kid, any kid, would be an expert firearm handler?
Pointing and clicking is different in the real world. He was probably peeing his pants when the gun didn't auto shoot like in the video games.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
He didn't take the safety off I guess the cop should have waited for him but what the heck the good guy won anyway.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

In defense of video games, most games don't "auto shoot" for you. You actually have to click for that.

Totally agreed on your other points though.

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: ScientificRailgun

Thanks, that's reasonable. Anyone else with an idea

Maybe they had a throw away video tape?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: Willtell

The answer to that is that recovered weapon still had it's safety on.

Apparently the shooter forgot to disengage the firearm's safety, had that not happened, we'd have a dead cop instead of a dead criminal.

And, had that scenario happened, would we have the same folks protesting the killing of a white cop by a black "teen"? I think I know the answer, but, it's always fun to ask.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: VirusGuard

Try to insult me all you want but the fact remains I do law enforcement in the state of Missouri and know more about how our laws work than you do.

What else you got?

I may not agree with you about the Russia Ukraine stuff, but finally someone else with common sense when it comes to this politically correct nonsense that's wrecking western countries from the inside out.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
i watched a guy on a reality tv episode empty his house full of intruding film crew-and it's security; using a paintball gun. Everyone lived who was involved, imagine it- real life- lives on.

i imagine since tasers are too lethal, maybe paintball guns would do well against an unarmed assailant? Might leave a few bruises/painful welts, maybe give dude incentive to JUST cooperate during initial 'cantact'?

with backup en route; there is no justification to use lethal force against someone who has no backup coming on his behalf...nor has a gun?

edit on (12/27/1414 by loveguy because:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: loveguy
with backup en route; there is no justification to use lethal force against someone who has no backup coming on his behalf...?

Great idea, when criminals start using paintball guns then police can start using them also.

Additionally what does back up have to do with anything?
You could have the 82nd Airborne on the way as backup and exactly how could that prevent the few seconds it takes for a criminal to kill you?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
a reply to: loveguy
I know this isn't to your point, but I'll say it anyway - I have a family member in film/tv industry who will remind anyone should they forget, that everything on reality shows is scripted. Some just have better writers...

edit on 27-12-2014 by CoaterieSlips because: typo

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

with backup en route; there is no justification to use lethal force against someone who has no backup coming on his behalf...?

Great idea, when criminals start using paintball guns then police can start using them also.

Additionally what does back up have to do with anything?
You could have the 82nd Airborne on the way as backup and exactly how could that prevent the few seconds it takes for a criminal to kill you?

some people get it by drinking liquid courage, other people have it in the form of people watching their back.
i imagine i'd be a force of my own reckoning if i had the 82nd to justify my whims?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoaterieSlips
I know this isn't to your point, but I'll say it anyway - I have a family member in film/tv industry who will remind anyone should they forget, that everything on reality shows is scripted. Some just have better writers...

yeah, i would totally signup for hosting a reality series where my last episode i willfully get stabbed and nearly die?

“I didn’t realize what I was getting into. It’s very serious. These people are throwing real punches. It’s not fake. They’re really hitting each other hard. This is a very sensitive subject. It’s love. When they cheat on each other and get caught dead to rights, there is no explanation they can give, so what comes out is anger. I’m learning a lot about myself and about the show and about human behavior. It’s pretty unbelievable.”

i can't speak for criminals, i just imagine one day i could have weapons drawn on me (as a person of interest/whatnot) and i'd expect to be unloaded upon for being my normal incorrigible self...i like watching bullies crap themselves...

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

So because backup is "only" a few minutes away, no officer is ever justified in shooting an attacker? How long do you think gunfights really last?

Not every gunfight is like Hollywood with unlimited ammo available and cover all around. You can't exactly say "time out bad guys, I have other folks on my side on the way so let's just wait till they get here, mmmkay?"

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

So because backup is "only" a few minutes away, no officer is ever justified in shooting an attacker? How long do you think gunfights really last?

Not every gunfight is like Hollywood with unlimited ammo available and cover all around. You can't exactly say "time out bad guys, I have other folks on my side on the way so let's just wait till they get here, mmmkay?"

Yeah. It's kinda like real dogfights in the air. The longest on record, I think, was 90 seconds during Vietnam. Most are over in less than 30 seconds. Most folks can hold their breath longer than any real gunfight lasts. I am always amazed how much people believe the Hollywood version of "reality".

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

some people get it by drinking liquid courage, other people have it in the form of people watching their back.
i imagine i'd be a force of my own reckoning if i had the 82nd to justify my whims?

What does your first line even mean?
Duh..silly me..criminals play by the rules and will only attack if you are drunk or have people watching your back..makes sense now.

Meanwhile in the real world come spend a few minutes walking around the badlands of North or West Philly or really any big city and see how that all plays out for you.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

gees friend.

i'm arguing for those slain individuals who died without pointing a weapon...

wtf hasn't chris dorner been mentioned in any of this?

he was able to be discredited wasn't he? a man with a trail of honorable mentions lost, and how easily we forget.

his own fraternity ended him.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

What does Chris Dorner have to do with anything here?

And lethal force is justified against an unarmed assailant, under the right circumstances. Not all, but some.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

What does your first line even mean?
Duh..silly me..criminals play by the rules and will only attack if you are drunk or have people watching your back..makes sense now.

Meanwhile in the real world come spend a few minutes walking around the badlands of North or West Philly or really any big city and see how that all plays out for you.

1st line? ...what motivates one to act against another? ego. desire.

if i new i had backup coming, i doubt i'd willingly kill some baby's daddy who'd because he's now dead i will support the charity that pays for his children... think of the dollars i'd save if assailant has no kids yet?

ofcourse looking down the barrel of a gun could alter that mindset...

i'm a white guy who survived la's twin towers jail facility- i was able to walk away unscathed because a black man stood up to a roomful of black guys wanting to use me as an 'example'...becoming nobody's bitch in the process

i'm not above soiling my own pants, even with backup.

edit on (12/27/1414 by loveguy because: my fingers hurt

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Most deadly force encounters occur within 6 feet.
They occur at a moments notice.
While an officer may be a target of a wingnut with a gun, one cant assume the person with the gun is only interested in killing police.

An officer must consider this and much more when dealing with adverse situations. If a person im dealing with pulls a gun do I have the 1-3 minutes it would take with no traffic for back up to get to me? If I waited how many people could this individual kill before they arrive on scene?

Once a threat is identified it must be dealt with. Law Enforcement does not shoot to kill, we shoot to stop the threat, regardless if that threat is directed at us or innocent civilians who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Secondly, I don't think I could live with myself if I allowed a person to kill civilians because I waited for backup to arrive. If I engage that means the suspect must deal with me. If that buys the time for back up to arrive then bonus. If I go down fighting it means I allowed other innocent people to safely get out of the area before he shifts his focus from me to civilians again.

Whenever anyone thinks about a job in law enforcement the one and only question they must be able to answer is -
Are you capable of killing another human being.

If you answer no or hesitate to answer then this job is most likely not for you. Hesitation can result in your death, your back up officers death or civilians deaths, including children, the elderly and infirm. The ultimate goal for law enforcement is to serve the citizens and everyone go home at the end of the night safe - police and civilians.

In some circumstances in order for everyone to go home safe it means you may have to take another persons life.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   

What does Chris Dorner have to do with anything here?

And lethal force is justified against an unarmed assailant, under the right circumstances. Not all, but some.

have a read

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join