It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York MTA poster full of plugs for religion- all Scientology

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I live in New York City and I use the subway to go from home to wherever I want, it's convenient, regular and inexpensive and you never need to worry about parking when you hit the city. Lately posters have been going up on the subway promoting Scientology - no these aren't paid advertising posters sponsored by Scientology. These posters are paid for with taxpayers money through the MTA budget. And to add insult to injury if you want one of these seemingly innocuous posters you can buy a subliminal advert for Scientology for $10 from the MTA stores. Yes, you read right from the MTA store. The poster supposedly promoting and celebrating the MTA is riddled with little Scientology references. How could anything like this happen in New York City? Would the MTA sell MTA "related" posters plugging Christianity? Buddhism maybe? Hinduism? Islam? I don't think so? I think an investigation should be launched?

"Subway-tology!

MTA poster full of plugs for religion

BY OWEN MORITZ
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

New subway poster is full of plugs for Scientology, including W. 46th St. center & founder's book; Web sites; artist's book and agent.

A poster being sold to mark the 100th anniversary of the subway has an underground message - and it has nothing to do with trains.

The poster, which depicts a crowded Times Square subway station, contains what seems like an endless number of plugs for the controversial Church of Scientology.

On the left side is a plug to visit Scientology's Purification Center on W. 46th St. and a promotion for a book by the late L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology.

The poster, by well-known folk artist and author Kathy Jakobsen, also showcases at least half a dozen Web sites with connections to Scientology - including celebritycentre.org and dianetics.org

The Web addresses are printed on T-shirts and shopping bags all through the poster, which celebrates the "bustling life of the subways."

www.nydailynews.com...
www.imageexchange.com...

[edit on 13-12-2004 by Mynaeris]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I think that's kinda darn suspicious, myself.

Does it actually reflect reality? Are there that many ads for scientology around the subways and so forth?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Hmmmm, are people noticing an increase in Scientology advertising? The reason I ask, is that in the last week we have had 2 visits at our house from representatives of Scientology. Must admit it makes a nice change from the JW's we get every so often. A little pushy but polite. Left a Diantecs book on our car after I refused to take one. Wonder if they are pushing a recruiting drive?

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Very, very strange! Not that Scientology is busy promoting itself - nothing new there, and nothing wrong with it - but you've got to wonder about using public money. As you say, if it was Christianity there would be an uproar.

There's been no sign of an increase in advertising on this side of the pond (UK). We still only get hassled by JWs (they're quite easy to get rid of, though...sometimes I invite them in, get them talking, appear interested, then get out a satanist book I keep just for that purpose...amazing our fast those sweet old ladies cam move
)

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Obiously they are running low on gimps so they need another recruiting drive. Most religions just ban contraception to ensure a consistant influx of new meat.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
I think that's kinda darn suspicious, myself.

Does it actually reflect reality? Are there that many ads for scientology around the subways and so forth?

On the MTA site where the poster is sold for $15.95, the following blurb appears.

"In artist Kathy Jakobsen's celebration of a hundred years of progress in motion, the bustling life of the subways is a teeming mosaic where past meets present and a few of the system's 4.5 million daily riders pursue a happy diversity of business and pleasure."

And no the poster does not reflect reality in anyway, maybe a scientologist reality. But there are people wearing t-shirts in the poster advertising numerous scientology websites. Originally when I saw this poster I was kind of intrigued and wrote down one of the less obvious scientology sounding sites to check out. It was a scientology site. If I an adult fell for this how much easier is it for a child or teen to fall into the Scientology trap.

There are no Scientology offices near Times Square that I am aware of, however of late L.Ron Hubbard's brigade have been working the street along 42nd street.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Why don't they use the money they are putting into this and divert it to your schools??? What, the courts ordered NY State to give yous almost twice as much as they are planning on giving all the schools in the state!

I ain't paying for any scientology ads, don't care, writing my state reps now!
Not that I expect them to do anything about it, or anything else for that matter...............

[edit on 13-12-2004 by dawnstar]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Hmmmm, are people noticing an increase in Scientology advertising? The reason I ask, is that in the last week we have had 2 visits at our house from representatives of Scientology.

Answering the door naked the first time they knock makes sure they will never bother you a second.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Depends on what you look like, johnny.

join