It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Charities PAY for celebrity endorsements

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:33 AM
link   
How disappointing. How fake.

Celebrities who show up at these events are PAID to do so.
We the public are under the impression that they are donating
their time and energy to worthy causes. I wonder how many
of these celebrity charity endorsements are really paid for, by
our donations - donations that should be going to those in need?

I know it isn't illegal to pay for someone to represent a charity.
But it sure is disappointing and really FAKE to have them present
themselves to help a cause, only to find they are helping themselves
to the donations.

Celebrity World
Nov 15, 2004
Charity Promoter Admits He Paid Celebrities

Former charity-event promoter Aaron Tonken has admitted that he doled out millions of dollars in payola to A-list celebrities and politicians in order to entice them to appear at fund-raisers. During an interview on Friday night's ABC magazine show 20/20, Tonken maintained that celebrities rarely appear at such events without recompense. "Absolutely not," he said in an interview taped before he began serving a five-year sentence for fraud. "They want to be paid." He added: ""My bill at Cartier was a million dollars," he said. "I was handing out Hawaii trips like someone would hand out their business cards, to these celebrities and their hangers-on."

entertainmentworld.us...

[edit on 12/13/2004 by FlyersFan]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I see nothing wrong with this. If paying a celebrity $1000 brings in $10000, then it was worth taking that money and paying a celebrity to show up. It's just another business expense.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Exactly, Pay a celebrity 10,000$, bring in 50,000$ for the charity, now that is 40,000$ they would not of had otherwise. I personally think it is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
If the 'celebrities' (in the loosest possible terms) can live with themselves doing that, then they deserve all they might, and will, get.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I guess it's the same as giving a $20million-a-picture star a pair of sunglasses so you can sell more. (or shirts, shoes, dresses etc)

Don't you love US Hollywood/celebrity culture, the richer you are the less you have to pay for things, the poorer you are, the more you have to pay.

Sounds a little like W's tax policy.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Nothing new here - been happening for centuries and is marketing 101. Favorable nod at a medieval court, wild west shows and product endorsements and all charities have had their spokespeople. You really think Jerry Lewis is not making a buck off the Telethon he does every year?? - ha ha.

There is something called the "Q" rating and is a measure of one's celebrity and hence bankability status. The higher the Q number the more bucks you can make, plain and simple.... The Hollywood game is all about the Q....

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

see nothing wrong with this. If paying a celebrity $1000 brings in $10000, then it was worth taking that money and paying a celebrity to show up. It's just another business expense.

I disagree, just on sheer principle. Charity is different than product/service endorsement, and should be genuine, not hired hands. I personally think such figures should be exposed for demanding any payment for appearances at charity functions. Such appearances already offer payment in the form of the national opinion of the figure. Those who would appear at such events for money deserve all the bad karma they get.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Even if not paid directly or they do it for "free", they will still get a wardrobe, a limo ride a suite in a hotel, a first class flight, top notch meals, etc. which can add up. I'll peg this more on the agents/managers as those folks only make a buck when the celebrity gets paid and everything the celeb does goes through them first....

Most non-profits and charities have their books out in the open and you will always see a line for advertising and some other hefty lines for the operation of the charity itself. Costs money to make (or get) money and charities have honed the art of the handout down to a science.... Somewhere on the net is a breakdown of the ones that get the most of the money out to do actual work compared to what they chew up in operating themselves.

Good - bad, who knows, but it is how the game is played these days.

top topics

join