It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops and Common Sense

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   
A lot of this will not be popular among many of you, however, I feel like it needs to be said.

There are certainly abuses of power within the Police Force in America. That's more of a systemic thing. It seems to me that if people just went along with the damn Cops we wouldn't have this crap that we are seeing today. I am not not sure what makes people think that arguing with a Cop is something you can win, or a smart thing to do in general. The Cops have all the guns. They are doing a job and are taught to always be in control. That's what the badge is for. PEACE officer... It's NOT complicated.

But then people will say: "Always question authority and tell them its your right to do so and don't bow down or comply to them." - COURTS are for that type of stuff. Not an altercation with a muscle head, power-hungry, gun toting possible maniac.

It's not bowing down, It's Zen. Knowing when to bend with the wind so you don't snap. Sun Tzu said you never face the enemy on his own terrain. Force him to fight on yours. Like hell I'm arguing with a Cop outside of a bar...or on the side of the road...nope. Not unless a TV news van and a lawyer are watching. These bad altercations with Cops come from idiots mostly who want to challenge authority...or have authority issues in general. In other words, they are asking for it and forcing the Cop in questions hand to take drastic measures.

If you watch some of these videos, or look at proffered evidence, most of the time it's people being assholes and people in charge not wanting to deal with it. Sometimes they go too far. But most of my interactions have been at worst sterile with Cops. Ive honestly never had a bad run in with one and I was pulled over 6 times in 2014 and 4 of those times I was let off with a warning and they let me go on my way. It was probably because I was nice and courteous. I made their job easy so they let me off easy. Sometimes Cops could be having a bad day and they'll have a short fuse and don't want to be dealing with any unruly argumentative idiots. They are trying to do a job. How would you like it if someone was making your job difficult for you? You wouldn't like it.

I also love how the Cop Hate Bandwagon Brigade tends to think that what is going on is a common everyday occurrence.

These few incidents we're seeing are really few and far between. Consider how many interactions with police happen everyday across this country. Any given minute of every single day and night, someone, somewhere is having an interaction with a Cop. So if this was as widespread as the Cop Hate Bandwagon Brigade believes, then we'd be hearing about several of these incidents happening DAILY. We'd be hearing about several incidents a day about how a Cop shot and killed someone. Or how a Cop beat someone from an inch of their life and so on. Do we hear about these things happening everyday? Nope.

With that said, corrupted Cops and cops abusing power DOES happen and I think it's been going on for a long time. It only seems more prevalent now because of social media. However, its not as "common" as some tend to believe that it is.

There are people out there who have had nothing but pleasant experiences when dealing with Cops. The majority of us will not run into a bad Cop in our entire lifetime and that is a fact.

Now don't get me wrong, I do not condone what bad Cops do. They need to be weeded out and punished like the criminals they are.

I do think there are problems right now with the police culture, though most of those can be traced back to bad ideas we started taking seriously after the PATRIOT Act was passed. For example, PDs should *not* be getting surplus military equipment. The police are not an army. Armies are for waging war on a population, the police definitely aren't. And I think it's human nature that when you start dressing someone up like an army, they start acting like one. I don't blame the officers for that, though, but rather the idiots in Congress who keep renewing the Patriot Act and putting stupid crap in the NDAA.

So in the end, the reason you see the police uniformly treated like thugs is the same reason that you hear so much bad stuff about black people. Bad things are done by a small portion of them and confirmation bias and sensationalism take over.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Too simplistic for me pal....I believe it needs a rethink......
Cops are degrading into the thugs of which you speak.....
Its not a one time thing we are discussing.....too many people getting shot or harassed by over aggressive cops....

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: stirling
Its not a one time thing we are discussing.....too many people getting shot or harassed by over aggressive cops....

Many Cop haters use hyperbole and sensationalism to back their statements, much like your "too many" and uniform treatment of them.

And what I said in my OP is the truth. So call it simplistic all you like.
edit on 24-12-2014 by Bloodydagger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
cops are all ego-maniacal ignorant, power drunk racists pigs!
up until the moment you need one, then they are super awesome and oh so sweet and thank god they are around.
People love to generalize when it comes to cops for the same reason "All" politicians are corrupt.
They have more power than us, and therefore are best considered to be evil, evidence be damned

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
cops are all ego-maniacal ignorant, power drunk racists pigs!
up until the moment you need one, then they are super awesome and oh so sweet and thank god they are around.
People love to generalize when it comes to cops for the same reason "All" politicians are corrupt.
They have more power than us, and therefore are best considered to be evil, evidence be damned

I am sorry, but this is pretty damn ignorant and very narrow minded and shortsighted. I truly hope you're either drunk or high as you wrote that.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bloodydagger
A lot of this will not be popular among many of you, however, I feel like it needs to be said.

There are certainly abuses of power within the Police Force in America. That's more of a systemic thing. It seems to me that if people just went along with the damn Cops we wouldn't have this crap that we are seeing today. I am not not sure what makes people think that arguing with a Cop is something you can win, or a smart thing to do in general. The Cops have all the guns. They are doing a job and are taught to always be in control. That's what the badge is for. PEACE officer... It's NOT complicated.

For me personally, it's not police I have an issue with, it's just power tripping people in general who think they can just take there personal issues out on you, because they coped a hard time from the misses that morning or whatever!

They may have the power and guns, but the citizens have a little something that's called the right be left well alone and respected unless there is probable cause they have done something wrong. Of course it's just easier to just comply with them and be on your way. But all humans have this little thing called emotions and they just get in the way sometimes. If the police are not going to respect the law then why should a person respect there authority? Respect is a 2 way street.

Truth been told, I've spent a lot of time on the road just traveling around like a poor burnt out hippy and have as a result had a lot of interactions with police been constantly harassed for no good reason in general. I can also admit, that that once you just show them some respect they usually turn out to be good people and I have been allowed to just drive off plenty of times, when technically I should have been getting a very large fine or even cuffed.

I'm not from the US either, but I also think the human complex can be similar anywhere and there are universal rules of how an altercation between the police and citizen will turn out depending on the attitude of both.

But! At the end of the day the police in the US have clearly got on the wrong side of the MSM and that just is not a fight there going to win. But rather than backing down, they just seem to be getting there back up and are just digging a hole for themselves further and further.

I just don't understand why the police in the US at this point don't just try some public relations and show a clear desire to change there ways? Maybe it's true that it's futile for the citizens to fight against the police. But the police will never win a fight against the media, so I think it's just time for them to admit defeat and just change there ways.

Anyway....... Just my outsiders opinion from my own observations of whats going on there. Simply because I'm just in the mood to have an opinion.

Peace

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

Nice, reply!
and I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. Human interaction is universal, Cops aside for a moment. So if two people are about to come face to face, the attitude of each person will dictate how this interaction will go. There is a quote: "Peace begins with a Smile" and that is very true.

When I interact with Cops, I am very respectful and courteous. Also, use some common sense. Its easy to tell when someone is trying to abuse their power toward you and mistreat you. Its only THEN that you question them. Otherwise, give them the benefit of the doubt. Don't shoot first and ask questions later in other words and don't assume either. You'll just end up in a bad situation if you do. But some people out there are just haters and have problems with all forms of authority and authority figures in general. These are the people that end up in bad altercations with Cops.

I always try to treat people the way that I like to be treated.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger

you might be happy living in TV world but please try not to condemn those that do not

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 03:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

you might be happy living in TV world but please try not to condemn those that do not

You mean compared to living in a fantasy world where every single Cop out there are cold blooded murderers who are out to kill?

Sure, I'll stay in my TV world where I don't have to look under my bed every night praying that a man in blue wearing a badge and having a gun isn't under there to get me.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
IMO, and take it just as that: Cops are out of control. There is not a day that goes by that I don't read about some cop shooting someone for no freakin reason or killing someone's dog.

Just 5 minutes ago I read about an officer shooting an 18 year old kid that "supposedly" had a firearm. Now, I wasn't there so I cannot speak to the truth of the matter. But, have you ever heard of a "drop gun". For those that have not, I bring you a definition: Drop Gun This event took place just out of Ferguson. See this

A bunch of cops are dirty and they are the very definition of a criminal conspiracy. They are backed up at all times and their crimes are covered over by city or county administrations.

The detectives are even worse. Prosecutors are the devil incarnate. They make up crap and lie. They hide exculpatory evidence from the defense and make shut up. The entire system is compromised and deserves zero respect. PERIOD. That is what I think.

Are there decent police officers......of course there are. Are they in the majority........heck no.

Do I believe the senseless killings of officers is OK. No, I find it reprehensible. Cold blooded murder. And it is NOT the way to solve this horrific problem we have. Nor do I think that was the shooter's intention.

The system is broken. There is absolutely no accountability.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Bloodydagger Your complete article is a well thought out piece of work. WELL DONE. The few times in my life time that I have had to interact with the Police have always been cordial, and short. So that is why I agree with your whole article. I know there are bad cops, but it is up to the local department to remove those individuals from service. That in itself could be a problem as well. But I do not want to go down that road right now. Thank you for your article.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

You mean compared to living in a fantasy world where every single Cop out there are cold blooded murderers who are out to kill?

Sure, I'll stay in my TV world where I don't have to look under my bed every night praying that a man in blue wearing a badge and having a gun isn't under there to get me.

you must have me confused with someone who lives in a world where everyone carries a gun......the whole world is not the USA....just between you and me
edit on 24-12-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

(post by gunshooter removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gunshooter

Many Cop haters use hyperbole and sensationalism to back their statements, much like your "too many" and uniform treatment of them.

And what I said in my OP is the truth. So call it simplistic all you like.

this thread is not based on common sense in the first place.

And common sense is lumping every Cop together into the "bad" pile and calling them all killers? Gotcha. I also see that you have issues with authority in general by your statements. You dislike authority figures huh? So knowing that, of course you hate Cops. You probably hated your Principle in School too didn't you? Oh, but random bad Cops are in the news right now, so you have an authority target to aim your hatred at.

I am just calling out the Cop Hate Bandwagon Brigade. Hardly trolling. If we didn't hear anything about a Cop for several weeks, you'd just follow the flock to the next flavor of the Month like many do, but in your case, you'd be hunting down authority figure type groups to target most likely.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Either show us the numbers that represent your assertions or stop posting drivel like this.

Show us numbers that show all the millions upon millions of interactions the police have with criminals and the general public alike and out of those numbers just how many of those interactions and even arrests result in what see see as only the sensationalistic stories.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 06:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ceeker63
a reply to: Bloodydagger Your complete article is a well thought out piece of work. WELL DONE. The few times in my life time that I have had to interact with the Police have always been cordial, and short. So that is why I agree with your whole article. I know there are bad cops, but it is up to the local department to remove those individuals from service. That in itself could be a problem as well. But I do not want to go down that road right now. Thank you for your article.

You're welcome. It just needs to be known that you can condemn Police brutality and still appreciate Police Officers. They are Mom's and Dad's and human beings in general just like we are.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Indeed, we're all on the same boat on this crazy ride.

I know that doesn't offer any kind of solution, but whatever. It just is what it is.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: GrantedBail
IMO, and take it just as that: Cops are out of control.

You mean *certain/random* Cops are out of control, which is true. However, you don't need numbers to back this, and saying otherwise only means you're drinking the Cop haterade, but bad Cops are in the minority within law enforcement. They are most certainly not in the majority. And no, you most certainly do not hear about Cops killing people and beating people everyday here in America. Do you realize that citizens and Cops are interacting every single minute of the night and day in this country in some fashion? So if things were as bad as these haters say, we'd have an epidemic of epic proportions on our hands. I'd be picking up a pitchfork right along side these haters.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I have to agree with your posts, and I really only have one thing I would like to bring up. I am 56 years old and have only had 2 tickets in my life. Both were when I was 20 years old, and worked for a courier company at night. I learned my lesson, and have had no other problems.

I have a son-in-law who gets stopped weekly. Speeding, expired tags, no seatbelt, and DUI with my grandkids in the car. He complains he is being targeted because he is black. When I ask him if he did what was on the ticket, he says "Yeah but" followed by an excuse for each offense.

Is he being targeted, or is it really just his stupidity getting him stopped all the time? I tend to believe it's his stupidity. If he would obey the laws, he wouldn't get stopped. I see this in other people too. Just no common sense. If you know you have an outstanding warrant, don't speed, buckle up, and don't drink and drive. If you are on probation for possession of drugs, don't have drugs on your person. Simple.

When you get pulled over for the same thing multiple times, take care of business and fix the problem. When you do get pulled over, shut up, be polite, and if you feel wronged, go to court. Don't argue during the stop. Common sense. It's easy to blame the cop, but if you continually break the laws, maybe take a moment and reflect on WHY you keep getting pulled over.

Just my opinion, but folks can ignore or listen. It's worked for me and my wife for many years.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

It seems to me that if people just went along with the damn Cops we wouldn't have this crap that we are seeing today. I am not not sure what makes people think that arguing with a Cop is something you can win, or a smart thing to do in general. The Cops have all the guns. They are doing a job and are taught to always be in control. That's what the badge is for. PEACE officer... It's NOT complicated.

This is where you lost me, and this is what is fundamentally wrong with American policing and public attitude toward it.

It's especially strange that you don't see your own confusion in that last line. First you say cops are taught to always be in control (wrong), and that this is what the badge is for (again wrong), then you claim they are "PEACE" officers.

In most decent countries with decent police forces, they work with the permission of the public, there is trust between the officers and the people THEY SERVE. They are NOT there to inflict force on the public and make people behave. They are there to serve the people, minimize crime, capture those who commit those crimes, and deliver those suspected of crimes to the court system.

In America, you don't seem to have policing by permission, you have an authority wishing to control the public, teenage boys in the bodies of grown men who don't have the mental capability to deal with those challenging their authority.

The problem is not that individuals have the audacity to challenge police officers because they ARE EQUAL, it's that people think it's perfectly fine for a police officer to use any force they like to inflict their irrational demands on the public.

You place police above the rest of society and give them special considerations, allowing them to get away with the most bizarre abuses of authority, simply because they "have a dangerous job". Yes, of course they have a dangerous job, and they knew that when they joined the force.

Abuse of position and power is what this all comes down to, and the mentality of the public conditioned to think this is normal. It's not normal, not normal at all.

You have far too many police officers who are incapable of being rational. They are challenged and they go into meltdown. They take extreme acts and escalate situations far beyond what would be considered reasonable because they are incapable of being wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join