It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Building a small Sun at the University Of Saskatchewan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

The plan: build a small sun and solve the world’s thirst for a guilt-free energy source.

The problem: designing a container strong enough to withstand the kinds of temperatures and pressures found inside the sun.

Enter the University of Saskatchewan physics department, which houses Canada’s only magnetic fusion reactor.

Source

Other Articles:
Article 1
Article 2
General Fusion

“This is the big Holy Grail. This is making energy with no pollution, and less amount of supply. No fight around everybody to get the fuel, because it’s available from the sea,” said Michel Laberge, founder and chief scientific officer at Burnaby-based General Fusion.

The company aims to develop the technology for a reactor that would fuse hydrogen into helium in a rapid flash lasting ten millionths of a second.

Doing that requires extreme conditions, like million-degree temperatures and crushing pressure. The resulting plasma can interact with the reactor wall, and that’s not good, Laberge said.

I found this to be fascinating. I've seen a few posters here with much more knowledge in Physics Than I, and may be able to contribute more to the thread. Nonetheless, I felt it was worthwhile to share this to the Info-Seekers....

Who knows, perhaps someone reading will get a
moment and contribute to this research in some way, and further along the process to a healthy alternative of Energy.(If the Oil Companies don't have a say in what happens)

I personally have a concern, being, militarization of any technology (If it isn't already known, and suppressed.) I hear talk that the Government think tanks are 20-50 years more advanced than the general populations knowledge. Who can truly say, and would they?

Enjoy!

edit on 23-12-2014 by caskatoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
We could use a two sun solar system, let them experiment. The prophesies say that the sun of man will someday destroy mankind.
edit on 24-12-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
We could use a two sun solar system, let them experiment. The prophesies say that the sun will someday destroy mankind.

I'm unaware of these prophecies you mention..? Is it, THE sun, or A sun...Also, are the translators sure they weren't talking about a "SON"...

I've heard the prophecy of 1000 years of peace.

4 And I saw kthrones, and lthey sat upon them, and mjudgment was given unto them: and I saw nthe souls of othem that were beheaded for pthe witness of Jesus, and for pthe word of God, and qwhich had not worshipped the beast, neither rhis image, neither shad received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and treigned with Christ ua thousand years.

Source

Regardless, there's a fine line with Science and Religion. Perhaps someday they will mesh together, unlike oil & water.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: caskatoon
Strange thing is that I went back and clarified that about the time you were writing that.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

You clearly don't know much about fusion. It's physically impossible to initiate an uncontrolled fusion reaction without an object several times the mass of Jupiter. To do it on earth, we have to use immensely powerful systems, usually magnetic or laser-based to overcome the electrostatic repulsive force between atoms. Pull the plug on the confinement mechanism, and it fizzles out. No polluting byproducts either, just helium.

Oh, and before someone chimes in about fusion bombs: nobody's ever made one, and probably never will. The "hydrogen bomb," more properly known as a thermonuclear device, does use fusion but in a two-stage process. A fission "primary" (like any other nuclear bomb, very similar to the Fat Man device dropped on Nagasaki) fires first, which triggers a brief fusion reaction in a "secondary" package that greatly boosts the explosive yield. Exactly how the fission reaction triggers the fusion element is still heavily classified, for obvious reasons.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 02:25 AM
link   
-removed information for safety, noticed it's a university-
What suns give off are magnetic fields, movements.
This planet is also a sun with invisible light.
I hope you have a way to keep information you create, which could cause harm, away from the elite and the zombies (most people) helping them unknowingly.

Also know that many free energy inventors before you had been killed.

Nuclear energy is already free energy, however, focused for millions on one point it can be dangerous.
edit on 24-12-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: ShadeWolf

Ummm. We really do not know much about dark matter and anti-matter. Now with that said, how can we know what all the properties of those are and how they relate to matter. Do not ignore what we don't know about the relationships of things when commenting on what is known.

Our pride in our knowledge can make us overconfident. In my life I have heard of many blunders that came from trusting in what we know while ignoring the risk of the unknown. An experienced Physicist knows that trial and error and ignorance is not the best way to work. Even then, some experimentation has to involve risk and inevitable problems so we can learn by our mistakes too. The problem comes when people ignore the mistakes thinking that they are better than others who tried and failed. Secondary negative effects can also occur if the first tests problems are overcome sometimes. Caution should always be taken when dealing with extremely high energy or the brakes on your car.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: oneoneone

If it were me personally doing the research, I would do my best to ensure any useful research did not become available to those with 'evil' intentions.

When you use the term 'free energy', I think you may be confused. For it isn't really a free energy, for they need hydrogen to fuel the reactions, and the result of the process would be helium.

The source states the Sea is full of hydrogen, which makes me ask the question, Is there a balance within the sea, that requires a certain percent to be there in order to maintain a certain balance. Quite honestly, the science behind most of this is beyond my understanding.

Regardless, I think it would be naive, and foolish to allow religion and/or spirituality to limit our research and understanding of the universe and the myriad of interactions of chemicals on micro, and macro scales.

Perhaps they will discover something profound accidentally from this research, as we've seen multiple examples of throughout history on various levels in the medical, and tech' fields.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Found a site with lots of information in relattion to Hydrogen, and the various ways it's obtained.

Electrolysis of water – Using electricity, it is easy to split water molecules to create pure hydrogen and oxygen. One big advantage of this process is that you can do it anywhere. For example, you could have an Electrolyser in your garage producing hydrogen from tap water, and you could fuel your lawnmower, leaf blower, car, etc. with that hydrogen.

All about Hydrogen

WHY? Hydrogen is safe and as stable as commonly used household /consumer fuels. Hydrogen is the smallest element with amazing characteristics:
It is light, it disperses rapidly
It does not plume
It does not leach
It is stable in ambient temperatures

Is Hydrogen Safe?

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ShadeWolf
a reply to: rickymouse

No polluting byproducts either, just helium.

A fission "primary" (like any other nuclear bomb, very similar to the Fat Man device dropped on Nagasaki) fires first, which triggers a brief fusion reaction in a "secondary" package that greatly boosts the explosive yield. Exactly how the fission reaction triggers the fusion element is still heavily classified, for obvious reasons.

it's not that classified.

you're thinking of the enhanced atomic bombs that were tested before the hydrogen bombs were tested.

and there is low level radiation to deal with, unlike the high level generated in fission reactors

the one thing you are correct about is the fission/fusion bombs and there is no limit to how powerful you can make them. no one has made a pure fusion bomb, that we know of

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   
BTW the DPF fusion guys have ordered thier tungsten electrodes and are about to order their beryllium electrodes .

DPF or dense plasma focus is the fusion reactor design that looks like a advanced spark plug.

Tongue in cheek: It's the AC Delco beryllium electrode fusomatic spark plug. it comes pre-gapped for maximum firing efficiency and power and is gaurantied for 50 years or 50 billion KW hours or 10 light years mileage whichever comes first.

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: stormbringer1701

I wonder if they've begun testing the metals, I'd assume that if General Fusion is supplying the metals, especially if they use a rare/uknown combination of metals if they will share their findings. Or if there are any patents relating to this process that may be a brick wall to their research...

Or are the parts you mentioned simply used for the reaction process?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 03:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: caskatoon

I wonder if they've begun testing the metals, I'd assume that if General Fusion is supplying the metals, especially if they use a rare/uknown combination of metals if they will share their findings. Or if there are any patents relating to this process that may be a brick wall to their research...

Or are the parts you mentioned simply used for the reaction process?

oh! I'm sorry. the answer would be obvious to me but not you guys because i decided not to put a link to my source. i did that because it's not directly about the OP. but i should have done it. so here:

us8.campaign-archive1.com...

lawrencevilleplasmaphysics.com...

basically they are using tungsten that is 99.95 percent pure. that is the current limit of commercially available tungsten. the stuff is hard to work with. hard to make big objects out of and hard to mill into shapes. In fact they had trouble with suppliers that drove the price up ten times the initial vendor's quote.

the tungsten is an intermediate step. needed to verify their modelling matches reality before going on to beryllium electrodes. the tungsten is more forgiving for error in the final experimental stage. Their early experiments had electrodes that pitted or got contaminated during the experimental runs. tungsten will give them electrodes they can do runs on varying operational parameters without fear of damaging the electrodes. once they get the optimal operating parameters they feel they can go on to the beryllium with more confidence they wouldn't be destroying the electrodes. beryllium is a lot less forgiving than tungsten but still more suited to this type of fusion device.

they will be going for proton boron fusion. so it's basically aneutronic with no radioactive waste is generated.
edit on 27-12-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-12-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Fascination information!

Thank you for sharing, and investing your time.

The aforementioned company had a prensentation to Oxford for Crowdfunding.

Presentation

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:08 AM
link   
i am pretty sure that one of these small fusion groups will actually achieve above break even fusion before the big boys at ITER or NIF. Also several of these little guys are doing the crowd funding route.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormbringer1701
i am pretty sure that one of these small fusion groups will actually achieve above break even fusion before the big boys at ITER or NIF. Also several of these little guys are doing the crowd funding route.

they have achieved break-even, they have not been able to produce sustained fusion. how do you get the waste byproducts out and fuel in, all the while maintaining fusion. it doesn't take much for it to crash

posted on Dec, 30 2014 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: bigx001

originally posted by: stormbringer1701

they have achieved break-even, they have not been able to produce sustained fusion. how do you get the waste byproducts out and fuel in, all the while maintaining fusion. it doesn't take much for it to crash

not exactly. they redefined break even to make that splashy headline. they still have not made more energy than was input in. they confined their measure to only a portion of of the energy cycle. i remember being so very excited when i saw that headline too. but it turns out it wasn't exactly true as we understand the term break even to mean. they sort of cheated. they did make an achievement though. and it is the next thing to actual break even.

if i recall right the energy entering the chamber equaled the energy produced by the reaction. that's it. they did not count the absurd amount of energy lost before it reaches the final drives and chamber.
edit on 30-12-2014 by stormbringer1701 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join