It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Net Approved

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Source

Roughly two dozen people jump from the span each year, and more than 1,500 people have jumped from the span since it opened in 1937. Another 80 or so people who are contemplating suicide are pulled off the bridge every year.

The $76 million plan was just approved. Will it work?

It is sickening watching joggers run by while another human is commiting suicide.

youtube
On a side note...

The Golden Gate Bridge could be the next ultimate terrorist destination. Not sure what United Airlines (company that hit World Trade Center) was thinking with that stunt.
edit on 23-12-2014 by southtower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
4 threads & not a single word...

You just set precedent my friend.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Well this is new, I wonder if this is a "butt-dial" type situation, or maybe someone hacked his account and is trying to get it deleted, or...aliens lol

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I have done the same thing, maybe not four in a row but I did learn this tidbit from here on ATS.
Construct your thread in its entirety then once satisfied with it.......Then you fill in the Header/ Title if you will.

Many times I did the opposite and one wrong key stroke and it all gets posted without any or very little content.
You can't post a thread without a title/header.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 23-12-2014 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
You jump onto the net roll over and fall off the net.

76 million$

For 24 a year

Definitely a government pork barrel job.

What a waste.
edit on 23-12-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   

a reply to: southtower

The $76 million plan was just approved. Will it work?

The money will work for whoever benefits.

The work won't work because people will jump onto the screen, and then jump off.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I retract my previous post, when I first looked there was only a blank page, seems to be fixed now. As for the net, it could work, but what's stopping the person from climbing and jumping from the net?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I sure hope it does. One life saved and it's paid for itself, in my opinion.

Couldn't believe how oblivious most of those people were to the jumpers. Mind = blown.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Gee, that was quick; and only after 1,500 people have jumped over the last 77 years!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I think people like Kevin are far more effective:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

The whole point behind suicide nets is to create a barrier. Most people who want to kill themselves, want to do the deed and that's it; not jump on to a steel net, inflict a lot of pain on themselves, THEN roll off to kill themselves. It's a psychological barrier.
edit on 23-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Botched it

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Seriously, what is the use.

Either as suggested above people will just take a two stage approach.

or

Find somewhere else to jump from.

people jumping from a bridge seem a tiny bit considerate of the EMTs that have to clean up the mess.

They will just find another spot or another method.

P

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Well if it helps some people, that's awesome, but sadly, if someone really wants to kill themselves, they will just do it elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Considering they give sports players mega deals that go way over $100 million per person, i guess you could say this is money well spent. Depression is killer, especially for men since we are taught to hide emotion and be tough. These people dont want to die, it just may be the only way to escape whatever pain they feel. R.I.P

edit on 23-12-2014 by southtower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Are the jumpers always successful in their goal of suicide? Don't any of them survive? Is it because the bridge is so high that they hit the water with such force that they can't survive it? How sad, sorry for my questions, just not familiar with this. I guess I'll go research.

This seems like one of the worst ways I can imagine dying. Hurtling through the air in fear, as you realize you have just done something you can't stop, hitting the water at such velocity it is probably like hitting a solid instead of a liquid, and if you get through that you are lost in the cold ocean, all alone. I am shocked that people are filming these jumpers. Again, how sad.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: gwynnhwyfar
Are the jumpers always successful in their goal of suicide? Don't any of them survive? Is it because the bridge is so high that they hit the water with such force that they can't survive it?

You can hurt yourself on a diving board a few feet off the water. Imagine a 220 ft bridge.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

I sure hope it does. One life saved and it's paid for itself, in my opinion.

Couldn't believe how oblivious most of those people were to the jumpers. Mind = blown.

I take the opposite opinion. I'm all for programs to talk people out of suicide, but if someone wants to do it we should just let them because one way or another they'll find a way to do it. Cost aside, there's just no way we can prevent every suicide and given the options of someone jumping off the Golden Gate bridge into some water that mostly doesn't harm surrounding people, or someone jumping onto the sidewalk and hitting a passerby from the top of a parking garage, or running into the middle of a freeway and saying hello to a bus. I would rather them be able to take the less damaging option.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Meh. I, along with his wife, talked a very good friend of mine out of blowing his head off in his bathroom. He now has four kids, a great job, etc. I'm pretty glad we didn't just say "screw it, let him do it."

How many people carry out a suicide purely because nobody gave enough of a crap to try and stop them? The bridge has signs on it with numbers for the very programs you mention. People still jump.

Are some people going to do it no matter what obstacles are put in their way? Sure. Some people just need one more barrier in their way to stop long enough to not do it.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Meh. I, along with his wife, talked a very good friend of mine out of blowing his head off in his bathroom. He now has four kids, a great job, etc. I'm pretty glad we didn't just say "screw it, let him do it."

But you had the opportunity to talk to him. I'm all for things like suicide prevention hotlines. I just think that if we're going to spend 80 million or whatever on suicide prevention it would better goto community outreach, making the world a place that people don't want to kill themselves, and those hotlines. The net seems to have no real value.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

As I said before, it creates a psychological barrier. Sometimes that's enough to make somebody step back from the brink, which gives somebody else a chance to talk.

I see your point, and I am all for outreach and so on. I just don't agree that this is a waste of money.

Eta: I do think it's a huge cost. I don't dispute that, and I question why it's so much. I just can't agree that it's a waste. Cheers
edit on 23-12-2014 by Shamrock6 because: Added stuff

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join