It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Solution to All Marriage issues (Equal, same sex or otherwise)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

It's beneficial to the state for people to marry and procreate for various reasons though. That is why they get involved with it.

WRONG!!.... I personally know of many "single parent" families

(mostly mothers) and rightly or wrongly the DNA of the offspring is the

mothers plus more than the one DNA from the male donation.

Plus it can't just be a Religious Institution that people get married at because some people aren't religious. Marriage is actually more of a Contract Agreement between people which doesn't even require Religion.

I can agree with that .... however it is my personal view that 'marriage' is more

a personal declaration of in most cases a mans integrity in saying

I totally commit to this relationship with this particular person.

I know of many cases of couples living together who are keen to state that

they have solid relationships and "who needs the documentation" to

keep them together, and have broken up after many years (in one case

17 years and another 30 years) and they who didn't believe in that "piece

of paper" have gone on to "MARRY" their next partner??

Just look at those in the 'limelight' .... Brad Pitt, George Clooney, ...

just to name just two!!
edit on 24-12-2014 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

The benefits of marriage in most cases such as taxes and similar situations you divide into two and give to every person single or otherwise. Children is a separate issue entirely as their are many single mothers and fathers who benefit from that without needing to be married.

It's so obvious to me that I don't see what you don't understand but that's why people discuss things, what's obvious to some is not obvious to all

I'm also of the mind that we as Americans are taxed far too much as it is so perhaps that's where my "just give everyone the same benefits" comes from. I don't see why we have to punish people for being single or reward others for being together. Everyone is free to make their own choices in life and ones lifestyle shouldn't be praised above any others.

I'm happily married and enjoy many of the perks you speak of. It wouldn't hurt me one bit if my single friends began enjoying those same benefits, in fact I would welcome it

edit on 12/24/2014 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: NoRulesAllowed

I've known single men who have claimed their unemployed roommates as dependents on their tax returns
or unmarried men claiming live in girlfriends
so unless it's changed recentlly I don't think you need a marriage certificate to enjoy that perk
you just need someone to support!

by the way I think a business partnership agreement would prohibit any partner to be on the hook for a bunch of debt that they had rung up that didn't benefit the business but rather themselves
just browsing through the posts on ATS and seeing all the posts about how the spouse has left the person with a ton of debt tells me that they aren't operating as partnerships and maybe it would be better if in some areas we were treated more as individuals

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
It's easy, just don't get married...!

posted on Dec, 26 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The solution to the marriage debacle is very very simple. The government has no business regulating marriage. Neither the state or the federal government should be handing out "licenses" to validate personal intimate relationships. It should be left completely up to the two individuals and their church/God if they believe.

Once upon a time, sexual relationships had to be regulated or otherwise controlled because of questions surrounding inheritance of property and paternity. But today, we have DNA testing for paternity and the ability of courts to order paternity test, child support, visitation and everything else necessary to determine inheritance and the protection of children.

The regulation of marriage through licensing by the state is obsolete, what remains of state regulated marriage licensing is merely the regulation of some idea of morality. The whole gay marriage debacle can be side stepped and the authority to marry or not to marry can be removed from the state and returned to the people. And as for tax benefits, there should not be any special benefits in the tax code, especially tax benefits that have progressive social engineering as their goal. We really do not need to be expending money on paternalistic enforcement of morality.
edit on 26-12-2014 by dieseldyk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Marriage is a social custom co-opted by organized religion and codified by governments in their tax-code. Our species determined millennia ago that rising healthy offspring is easier and more successful in pairs.

Not very sexy or romantic, but there you have it.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join