It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confusion After Threat Made to Police

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
a reply to: DrJunk

I find it utterly hysterical, and hypocritical to the extreme, that in one breath you're telling people to not trust any cops, ever, for any reason, but then whining about how cops don't trust all people.

But no, I don't think all people are untrustworthy. I was just expanding your idea into it's logical next stage. If one is going to distrust an entire group of people, the overwhelming majority of whom one has never met, soon one will find reasons to not trust anybody at all.

Unlike many here, I don't apply the broad brush to my daily life

I would like you to take note of your hyperbole.

I find it utterly hysterical, and hypocritical to the extreme, that in one breath you're telling people to not trust any cops, ever, for any reason, but then whining about how cops don't trust all people.

I never made that claim, and I won't defend it. If you continue to argue that point, that's your decision.

Ergo, your entire claim of following my logic is nonsense, as I have just demonstrated, you are following a perceived line of logic that was of your own device.

The Police are not to be trusted. I don't care if you agree or not. Argue about what that means if you want, but you haven't provided any reasons why they SHOULD be trusted, and that's telling.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun

By that logic, why should I trust ANYONE who prepares food for me? They may have poisoned it. Why should I trust ANYONE who has done work on my vehicle, they may have tampered with it. Why should I trust ANYONE that works for my electric company? They can turn off my lights.

Shamrock makes an excellent point, when you distrust the ENTIRETY of one group, the very next logical step would be to distrust EVERYONE.

Because, as I have already stated, the average citizen has something to risk by engaging in those behaviors.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

After Frazier v Cupp, I'm surprised anyone trusts police in their professional capacity. I would assume anything out of your mouth is a lie, for safety's sake. You're permitted to lie or deceive people legally in your professional capacity, as long as it doesn't rise to the degree "the community would find shocking", which is one of those nebulously unprovable bars.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

You're right, the only claim you made was that I don't trust anybody. Which was immediately following the statement that you just discovered I'm a LEO. One can infer that your implication is that I don't trust anybody, because I'm a LEO. But that's fine, you can hide behind the semantics of your "claim" if it suits you to. My line of logic was simply an extrapolation of your statement that nobody should trust law enforcement, at all. Call it hyperbole if you like.

You're right, I haven't attempted to provide any reason why a person should trust law enforcement. But you've already given the reason for why I haven't: you don't care whether I, or anybody else, agrees with you. Your mind is made up, to an extreme degree, and why should I or anybody else waste the time to try and change your mind when you've made it plainly obvious it won't be changed?

The only thing that's that can be "told" about my lack of listing reasons to trust law enforcement is my disinterest in wasting time running into a brick wall over and over again.

You have a good day

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

By that logic, why should I trust ANYONE who prepares food for me? They may have poisoned it. Why should I trust ANYONE who has done work on my vehicle, they may have tampered with it. Why should I trust ANYONE that works for my electric company? They can turn off my lights.

Shamrock makes an excellent point, when you distrust the ENTIRETY of one group, the very next logical step would be to distrust EVERYONE.

Because, as I have already stated, the average citizen has something to risk by engaging in those behaviors.
Police have something to risk as well. For one, their lives. If they use deadly force and someone uses BETTER deadly force right back, well then that's a dead cop.

Second, there's his career. If cop uses deadly force, or falsely imprisons someone, they risk losing their jobs.

Third, there's his freedom. If the breach of his codes of conduct or SOP are severe enough, he could be charged with a crime.

Finally, there's reputation. Just look at Ferguson for a perfect example of that. A cop uses justifiable deadly force, is completely exonerated, totally free man, but his reputation is absolutely ruined. He'll never work as a cop again.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrJunk

Police have something to risk as well. For one, their lives. If they use deadly force and someone uses BETTER deadly force right back, well then that's a dead cop.

Second, there's his career. If cop uses deadly force, or falsely imprisons someone, they risk losing their jobs.

Third, there's his freedom. If the breach of his codes of conduct or SOP are severe enough, he could be charged with a crime.

Finally, there's reputation. Just look at Ferguson for a perfect example of that. A cop uses justifiable deadly force, is completely exonerated, totally free man, but his reputation is absolutely ruined. He'll never work as a cop again.

Yeah, all very good reasons why the police would lie to protect themselves on top of their legally authorized reasons for deceiving.

Look, I'm not saying everyone that wears a shield is a bad guy, I'm telling you that no police officer should be trusted simply because they are a police officer.

The police will lie to you if they feel the need.
The police will imprison you if they feel the need.
The police will kill you if they feel the need.

If you want to trust a group like that, that's on you.
edit on 23-12-2014 by DrJunk because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: [post=1879592

The average person doesn't have the legal authority to imprison or kill you.

No, they don't...nor do they need to get around the legal angle and the media scrutiny, so they have the advantage of anonymity that being "average" and therefore somehow less suspect than other people affords them.

The cops do, and they often lie to make that happen.

Yes, of course, because "average" criminals don't lie to get away with anything. Only criminal cops do that, yeah?

If you want to take that further into your life and become paranoid, that's on you.

There is nothing "paranoid" about being wary of other people and their motives. Bad people exist all over the planet. It is very smart to not trust anyone implicitly, but to single out one group and make blanket statements about anyone who happens to wear a badge? Not so smart.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Hmmmmmmmm

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
My issue is that I can protect my family in my home from a thug breaking in my house. If an officer barges in my home, I can not lawfully defend my family.

%99.9 of the officers I meet are great people! I can't say that enough, but what to do when that one delusional officer shows up? He is all hyped up on adrenaline and pissed because his wife just got the balls to dump his sorry ass. It happens.
edit on 24-12-2014 by ttropia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join