It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Words and Phrases That Annoy Me.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Words and Phrases That Annoy Me

This is the first 10 of 80. I've been keeping this list in my head for 30 years and typed it up a year ago and update whenever I hear a word that I can't stand the sound of. It is the sound of the word or phrase that I hate, not necessarily the actual item or action named. For instance, I may like eating Hot Cereal, but have to request it by the name Oatmeal due to the cringe-inducing sound of the word.

1. Meal; also variations Hot Meal or Nice Hot Meal. Corn meal and Oatmeal is ok for some reason.
2. Hot Cereal
3. Moist
4. Liniment
5. Ointment
6. Balm, especially when the ‘L’ is emphasized. “Bahl-mmm”.
7. Salve; same deal with the ‘L’ as balm.
8. Lotion
9. “If you will….”
10. Amazing; I am ‘amazed’ when a magician saws a woman in half and I can’t figure out how it was done. I am NOT amazed by your cheeseburger, TV show, or any of the countless mundane things that people claim are amazing these days. Overused.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
"Apps"

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Supper.

I don't know why but that word has always made me cringe. Dinner is dinner.

Thinking about it dinner is a pretty stupid word too...

I know! MEAL! Wait, damn, that ones on your list. Gah

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: XP100

For the first meal of the day I often enjoy moist, hot cereal.

I then will get a massage using either liniment or ointment as a soothing salve as I prefer that over lotion.

If you will try it you will be amazed as well.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

SUPPER is on my master list! I think it's #12 or something.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hefficide

Supper.

I don't know why but that word has always made me cringe. Dinner is dinner.

Thinking about it dinner is a pretty stupid word too...

I know! MEAL! Wait, damn, that ones on your list. Gah

Yep

Seems to be an old person form of slang.

Where I live we have this regional bastardization of the word "Saturday" amongst older people. They pronounce it "Sare-dee"

Ive never heard it said ouside my area, which is why I consider it regional bastardization.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Thanks. My friends do this to me all the time! They string as many of these words together and then ask me "you gettin' pissed off yet?" and laugh.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Dunno why but your OP made me chuckle out loud.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
a reply to: deuceawesome

That is on my master list! I hate it as an abbreviation of appetizers AND applications. There is a TGIF commercial and the guy says you get an app, an entree, and whatever and I can't stand it.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   

The man ate a meal consisting of moist, hot cereal, before injuring himself. The man was taken to the GP and was offered a list of medicinal skin applications. The doctor told him that "if you will, i can provide you with liniment, ointment, balm, salve or lotion in order to return your skin to better health. The man found the medical process amazing. He expressed his thoughts by stating "i am amazed..."

edit on 23-12-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
For me anything new age annoys me.
Love and light,namaste etc.
Crap like that.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

"frequency/ies " " vibrations " " quantum " " dimension " " resonance "etc

when misused by mew-age idiots

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Somewhere someone must have made a study of this phenomenon. It can't be just you and it can't be just a few others, like me, who have this phobia. I first noticed this strange way of hearing works when I was a young teenager over 50 years ago. The first word that shot straight through my brain and exploded in this manner was picnic. Actually stopped me in my tracks walking down the street. picK nicK picK nicK. ARRRRGGGG

As far as phrases go, one that makes me cringe, is, "but wait first let me say this". Another is "what most people don't know". Ever notice that one? Seems everybody has this idea that they know something important that other people don't and hence that knowledge sets them apart, and above.

Finally. Fin-al-ly..... I used to live in San Francisco during the hayday , hay-day, hay-day of the 49ers. Joe Montana and Jerry Rice days. I saw a lot, I mean a-lot, a-lot of great plays, a-lot of great catches. Catches that were called "great catches". Now years later when ever I watch football and i hear a commentator say "a great catch" I just have to wonder. Wonder what, what am I going on about here? I'ts five thirty in the morning, I woke early and here I am pretending to be in touch with the larger world going on and on and on and on and on and on and.....

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I agree with the list in the original post. Most of those words I don't use either. I thought I was the only one who was bothered by the word meal. I am also bothered by the word vehicle. I don't know why, it just does.

As an English major, what annoys me the most is the use of the phrase "I could care less." It definitely does not mean what the people saying it mean and no one (who says it) seems to get that. It is used so much that I have even caught myself, when talking to someone who uses it, slipping in to almost using it even though I know better. When I bothered with Facebook I would post words that were used improperly or words that weren't words at all, one at a time, each day as a reminder to others to not use that word or phrase today. I got a few hateful replies but I also got a few replies from people who thanked me for correcting it as they had no idea they were wrong.

"I could care less." - This phrase with a few other commonly used incorrect words bother me a lot. My wife thinks it's funny to string them together to get a rise from me. She will say things like "Irregardless, I could care less," and other such phrases. I even had to cringe while typing that sentence.
and think before you speak. Your mouth is not a fountain to spew whatever is pumped in to the brain. Always think before you speak. Grammar is important. You may have spell check to correct atrocious spelling mistakes but grammar is not yet able to be corrected, beyond a basic level, by any computer as far as I know.

Sorry, that kind of turned into a rant of my own. Now I am off to invent balm meal or meal salve

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You're great catch story is EXACTLY like my overuse of 'amazing'. It peeves me to no end when I hear younger folks describe everything as amazing. When my teenage sons do it, I stop and say "that really amazes you? That sandwich you are eating amazes you? A sandwich fills you with wonderment and awe?"

That's probably why my kids never want to talk to me!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Op- I don't know if this applies to you but I wanted to put it out there just in case it rings true for you.

There is a condition called misophonia, the way you describe hating the sound of particular words reminder me of this. I have this condition but not for word sounds - more for eating and mouth noises.

Here is a quick wiki definition:
Misophonia, literally "hatred of sound", is a neurological disorder in which negative experiences (anger, flight, hatred, disgust) are triggered by specific sounds.[1] The sounds can be loud or soft.[2] The term was coined by American neuroscientists Pawel Jastreboff and Margaret Jastreboff[3] and is often used interchangeably with the term selective sound sensitivity.[4]
People who have misophonia are most commonly angered by specific sounds, such as slurping, throat-clearing, people clipping their nails, brushing their teeth, chewing crushed ice, eating, drinking, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, coughing, humming, whistling, singing; saying certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.[9] Sufferers may experience such physical symptoms as sweating, muscle tension, and even quickened heartbeat. Some are also affected by visual stimuli, such as repetitive foot or body movements, fidgeting, or movement they observe out of the corners of their eyes; this has been termed misokinesia, meaning hatred of movement.[5] Intense anxiety and avoidant behavior may develop, which can lead to decreased socialization. Some people feel the compulsion to mimic what they hear or see.[10] Mimicry is an automatic, non-conscious, and social phenomenon. It has a palliative aspect, making the sufferer feel better. The act of mimicry can elicit compassion and empathy, which ameliorates and lessens hostility, competition, and opposition. There is also a biological basis for how mimicry reduces the suffering from a trigger.[6]
en.m.wikipedia.org...

I had not heard of this condition until several years ago, but I've dealt with it since I was about 10. There are treatments - cognitive therapy for some and special white noise producing earplugs for others. I've gone the earplug route as I'm not much of a navel gazer.

Anyway, I don't know if this might be the source if your discomfort but I wanted to offer the information just in case. Your rant sounded familiar!

Here is more info if you are curious:
www.misophonia.com...

edit on 23-12-2014 by VegHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun

Love and light,namaste etc.

Hearing that crap makes me wish I was born deaf.

When people botch the word supposedly, and say supposebly...yeah my ears can't take it.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: VegHead
People who have misophonia are most commonly angered by specific sounds, such as slurping, throat-clearing, people clipping their nails, brushing their teeth, chewing crushed ice, eating, drinking, breathing, sniffing, talking, sneezing, yawning, walking, chewing gum, laughing, snoring, typing on a keyboard, coughing, humming, whistling, singing; saying certain consonants; or repetitive sounds.[9] Sufferers may experience such physical symptoms as sweating, muscle tension, and even quickened heartbeat.

I hate people who chew with their mouth open. I didn't see one of the possible physical symptoms listed as 'immediate urge to jam a #2 pencil into their eye socket' but I feel that it should be listed.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Tangy, especially when spoken in a far southern drawl lol cant
stand that.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
"I could of..."
I could've...
I COULD HAVE....
One of my biggest pet peeves.

new topics

top topics