It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Is "Common Sense" a flawed concept?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:12 AM
Common Sense seems to imply that there is an objective and universal standard to which everyone should be able to utilise knowledge and make judgements accordingly. I believe the expectation of such a standard is ludicrous when you consider that the life experiences of many people can vary so dramatically.

We are so quick to forget the lessons we acquired through empirical means and argue that they have an obvious rational basis. (for the record, I am not anti-rationalism, I just believe the vast majority of knowledge we acquire is done so through empirical methods.)

If one has never experienced a comparatively similar situation before, how can they be expected to act in a certain manner when they encounter such a situation?

When we say "Common Sense", what do we really mean?

Common sense is a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge things, which is shared by nearly all people, and can be reasonably expected of nearly all people without any need for debate.

Sound practical judgment that is independent of specialized knowledge, training, or the like; normal native intelligence.

The Free Dictionary

Sound judgment not based on specialized knowledge.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:22 AM
He is the layout. Knowledge / common knowledge / common sense. Then it is no longer taught and is forgotten. Most people don't have the common sense, because they do not THINK with enough knowledge or logic. With knowledge they would know, with logic they would figure it out.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:37 AM
I guess whose defining what the common sense of any particular culture is. I think it may have been Marx, who argued that common sense is a tool of the ruling class to enforce their morals and beliefs on a society as the norm.
edit on 23-12-2014 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:41 AM
Common sense seems indeed flawed to me.
The group of people using it are specifically the ones using it for "knowledge" which is not proven or obviously flawed.
Common sense as used by people these days dictates to have to know official claims and media articles.
It's a requirement to talk to the manipulated.

What seems way more important to are indeed conclusions and chances of possibility gained from such claims.

What if the system was to be trusted? Would there be information one should simply trust to progress which everyone should know?
I think at first one would need it for some practical things to do, but with the source of the conclusion being easy to look up.

Communication should not enforce to know unproductive topics just to be able to talk in my opinion.
edit on 23-12-2014 by oneoneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:50 AM
a reply to: Dark Ghost

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you that common sense is a completely flawed concept when it comes to financial prosperity.

I just got a email from my Dad that goes on about some rant that god must be true. Because if a person finds themselves getting mauled by a bear in the forest, they will then pray to some higher power to come save them.

Like seriously! How pathetic, deluded and childish is that frame of thought? I mean, of course some one is going to wish there was some sort of higher power that would come save them, when there being ripped from limb. But it doesn't prove anything. Except that us humans would prefer not to have it happen to us!

But yet, this man owns multiple hotels, has a wife that's 20 years younger than him and just generally lives like a king.

Well I'm stuck here, just excepting life for the reality that it is and am completely broke!!!! No women, nor some endless fortune to just live off. I have to work my ass to the bone, just to obtain the basics in life.

That's just how it is though. Anyone that's just a delusional fool, just seems to get everything they ever desired. Well the people that except reality for what it actually is, just seem to be bent over and brutally done over till they can't stand straight.

Yeah, that's life though. Stupidity just rules in this life.

edit on 23-12-2014 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 04:51 AM

Ummm...yes...for it is anything...but...common...

Some people have the ability to find associations where most would not make the connection in order to draw conclusions...
Some savant's have this spades...

It is also a talent that is somewhat unique to detective work...although it can certainly be enhanced through training exercises...

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:09 AM

It depends is which circumstances it`s used.

I can give an very simple example in which it`s not flawed and justifiable to be used...

If you`re in a house which is on fire to the extend which you can`t put it out yourself, it`s common sense to leave the house and not to wait for the fire department to show up who might rescue you, even without ever having been in that situation before.

So that`s an example, but many more as such examples can be made which would qualify as common sense.

Have you ever tried to push a screwdriver very hard in your eye to see if the eye still functions after that ?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:24 AM
I think people now a days have a tendency to look at things to deeply. Sometimes it really is as simple as it seems...

A good example of someone lacking common sense is someone that can regurgitate book learning easily but struggles to implement that knowledge into everyday life.

Least that's how I look at it.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:54 AM
Common sense can be flawed, for example it would seem to be common sense that the Earth was flat, but travel in to space taught us differently. It appears to be susceptible to illusion, ignorance. The world around us according to common sense looks solid, again this is wrong. Wisdom is much better, perfect, and not susceptible to any illusion. If more people had wisdom the world would not be in the state it is today. Part of common sense is the beliefs of that particular society, and theses beliefs can be manipulated by Governments, as we see today.

Great thread by the way!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:33 AM
I would say that common sense more refers to a reflex action over using learned knowledge.

Like the difference between common sense being "fire hot, so dont touch again" rather than how to make a house or somthing.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:13 AM
Common sense is derived from the same word community is derived from, so it could be argued that community defines common sense
Individually we have a singular perspective, we need to test our perceptions, find that balance.

yes there is a common sense if we are all on the same page, we are defiantly not.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:43 AM

common sense , isn`t

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:48 AM
Common sense dictates that the world is flat, the sun revolves around the Earth and that putting your hand in flames hurts, but only after experiencing it.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:56 AM
a reply to: masqua

Who was it that said "Good sense isn't common"?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:05 AM
Being sensible isn't common these days IMO.

Somethings are sensible and some are not, but it doesn't mean it is counter productive to accept common sense. It depends on the situation I suppose. If we as a species have survived so long on our senses, why should we abandon our common sense?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:20 AM
Common sense tells me not to try swimming across the Atlantic Ocean by myself as i would probably die.

It also tells me not to jump from high places, in front of fast moving objects etc

Ok so you could argue that is knowledge based so lets say i arrive somehow on a another planet.

Luckily i seem to be able to breathe but should i walk/wade/swim through what appears to be a river of some liquid in front of me?

Is it common sense to stick something in first to see what happens ?

edit on 23-12-2014 by johnb because: spelling

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:23 AM
Scottish Common Sense Realism believes man has an innate ability to perceive common ideas and that this process is inherent in and interdependent with judgement.

Also one of the founding ideologies behind the United States.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:49 AM

Common sense is becoming more uncommon as the standards for critical thinking are disappearing. I grew up in the 70's and 80's and our teachers openly encouraged discussions in history and social studies classes. These discussions ranged from mild agreement to open dissent for past decisions, and ramifications for other decisions that could have been made. In English we were encouraged to write essays that showed creativity, understanding of the books read, and demonstrated good spelling, good grammar and syntax. We didn't learn by rote, and we were encouraged to "figure things out."

These days I see kids that cannot do simple math without a calculator, don't understand the "why" of the majority of history and don't know how to think for themselves. They have no confidence in their positions, and if they are challenged they don't respond with a counterpoint, but rather an insult.

The death of common sense is imminent because the death of critical thinking is imminent.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:09 AM
There's a lack of common sense in terms of physics. I've heard of and seen so many examples:

Putting down newspaper on top of a freshly varnished floor to stop anyone from leaving muddy footsteps on the wood. Charging up their car battery with an extension cord, only to switch the engine on to see if the battery was charged (chewed up the cooling fan). Plugging in a portable air conditioner to the air socket next to an overheating mains fuse box. Or using a lit match for light, because they thought they could smell gas deep inside a concrete pipe - ended up being shot out like a human cannonball. Not forgetting throwing water over a burning pot of cooking oil.

On the technical/legal side, there is the assistant lawyer who put floppy disks through the photocopier when told to make copies of the aforementioned items. Then completing the task by using a hole punch, so that they could be clipped neatly inside a folder.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:13 AM

originally posted by: Logarock

Who was it that said "Good sense isn't common"?

"Common sense is not so common."
* Voltaire, Dictionnaire Philosophique (1764)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>