It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq TV show makes 'terrorists' confront victims

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Iraq TV show makes 'terrorists' confront victims

"In the Grip of the Law," brings convicted terrorists face-to-face with victims in surreal encounters and celebrates the country's beleaguered security forces. The show, produced by state-run Iraqiyya TV, is among dozens of programs, cartoons and musical public service announcements aimed at shoring up support for the troops after their humiliating defeat last summer at the hands of the Islamic State group, which now controls about a third of the country.

"Many of these terrorists feel a lot of remorse when they see the victims," said the senior intelligence officer overseeing the shoot, who declined to be named since he often works undercover. "When people see that, it makes them think twice about crossing the law."

While it is obvious that this is Iraq's way of trying to generate some positive imagery for their humiliated LEO's and military, I can't help but be just a little proud watching this nation slowly claw their way to a place that somewhat resembles a 21st century nation.

I met many good people in Iraq that desperately wanted to just live their lives as Iraqi's and held the same sort of national pride that many Americans hold. Personally I think that this show covers many bases; the fact that Iraq is actively fighting (despite the cowardice shown in early 2014), that the civilians are beyond sick of the suicide bombings/IEDs (maybe more tips to the police will come of it), and that we have a pretty good example of punishment being carried out in a somewhat humane fashion (the alleged bomber, Haider Ali Motar, appeared to be in decent health).

While I have mixed emotions regarding the parading of an alleged bomber in shackles and leg irons and having him confront the victims I like the premise of forcing the perpetrator to his victims fate to face.

But in the back of my head I can't help but think that this is all a big farce, that Haider Ali Motar and the entire crew are merely actors and that the Iraqi LEO and military are just as incompetent as they were the last time I saw them in action
Thanks ATS for making me doubt literally EVERYTHING I read.
edit on 22-12-2014 by Lipton because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
This sounds like a very Iraqi thing to do. I hope it helps them.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

"Many of these terrorists feel a lot of remorse when they see the victims," said the senior intelligence officer overseeing the shoot, who declined to be named since he often works undercover. "When people see that, it makes them think twice about crossing the law."
Source: as above.

Well yeah, with victim's relatives yelling "Give him to me and I'll tear him to pieces". And almost crying? Sorry. That was probably fear that they would actually give him to them. Anyway, perhaps it allows families to vent some frustration, and if it causes some of "them" to think twice about what they have done, then it's a plus.

edit on 12/22/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
not really different than here in the U.S. when victims/family speak before the convicted is sentenced, or the convicted get a chance to speak.
we're just a little toned down,well sometimes, a lot of times the family go after and land a few shots.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Iraq just came up with a primitive form of CourtTV. They're becoming more westernized by the second.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Heh, they have a great idea for a new reality show.

Face the victims.

I like it.

I bet it would be a huge hit.

No glory for the criminal, leave them in shackled to a chair in prison garb so they can't attack the families and are humiliated (bet many would sign the release for a chance to be on TV, most criminals are too stupid to realize the repercussions for the rest of their lives for signing the release)

Let the families create video/photo shows of the murdered/maimed person to show what their life was like.
Force the criminal to watch.

Let the families say what they will, only allow the criminal a one minute reply, survivor style at the end of the show.

Should be snapped up real fast!

edit on 9Tue, 23 Dec 2014 09:46:29 -0600am122312amk232 by grandmakdw because: addition

new topics

top topics

join