It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So...I'm a racist now.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So what kind of race are you racing in anyway? An auto race or something like a marathon. or are you just horsing around.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I can't believe the OP's story.

Nowhere in Western society is it deemed racist to describe a black person as "black".

If this story was 40 years old I could perhaps believe it.

I remember it used to be conventional for a time to refer to non-whites as "coloured" because this was somehow perceived as politer than "black" or "brown".

But that was back in the day.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: samerulesapply
I've learned to never describe the physical characteristics of anyone when asked. Like, never say the heavy lady, or the guy with the bad rug, or the bangin chic.....

I learned to say stuff like the guy in the jaunty plaid jacket, or second desk to the right, by the water cooler, the lady in the yellow dress....

Some lessons are learned hard.

Nah, I always go for the physical descriptors when directing people to others in whatever setting, they're more permanent/unchanging than clothes are. I rarely pay attention to what people wear anyway (I can't tell you what my husband wore today because, threads -- I just don't care) "You want the stocky black guy" or "the really thin hispanic girl", et al. For the personally expressive styles that are distinctive, "The chick with the flaming hot pink tipped hair" works, skin is secondary because duh, it's not like screaming hot pink hair is as common as blonde highlights yet.

Tell your supers, and I wish I could tell your coworker to blow it out her ass. Hyper sensitive twink.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Report her for calling you a racist. Explain to your manager at work that you are deeply offended that Princess Political Correct has labeled you as a racist, and that you now need some time off due to the stress of being harassed at work. Then go to the pub.

I second the motion!

You did nothing wrong!!!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

originally posted by: weirdguy
Report her for calling you a racist. Explain to your manager at work that you are deeply offended that Princess Political Correct has labeled you as a racist, and that you now need some time off due to the stress of being harassed at work. Then go to the pub.

I second the motion!

You did nothing wrong!!!

We all need a drink after that!
Cheers!

Third!
edit on 22-12-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
so it is racist to call a black bald dude a black bald dude?
better write that one down do i dont forget.

my neighbor is a black bald dude. maybe i will try it out and get back to ya

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: samerulesapply

I'm not sorry for anything I ever said. I will not apologize for no wrong doing. I will never give the busy bodies the satisfaction. Think what you want about me but you might want to look in the mirror first. I think the new generation will be known as the one that wears it's heart on their sleeves. Thin skinned where everything is taken to heart is weakness in my opinion. I would explain myself to the masses and if they didn't understand, screw them. No time for thin skinned people who want to make every little thing about race. I will not lose a minute of sleep over it either.

I have worked with black people most of my life. They know me and I know them. When someone asks me to describe someone, I will say, 'He's black or he's white'. I would describe a Chinese person as oriental or a Mexican as Hispanic. If someone can get mad over that, let's throw down and clear the air. They will not twist my words. I will give no quarter.

Ask them if the black guy is offended. If he is, ask him how long has he felt like a victim or less than another race. Tell him, we're here in the same workplace trying to feed our families. I always thought we were together in this. I may be hardheaded but at least I'm brutally honest.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
so it is racist to call a black bald dude a black bald dude?
better write that one down do i dont forget.

my neighbor is a black bald dude. maybe i will try it out and get back to ya

~smirking~ do it..( you'll see who the humans are )
Because that black bald teacher who had called me a knucklehead back in the day...To this day 20+ years later... we are still best friends....
And I understand Math and art better for it...

It's personalities that make us all different..
but C'mon it's quicker to say what it is.

My teacher had no probs saying..
That little knucklehead skipped 5 math questions..
That little white french dude loves his cheese...

It's true.... I LOVE CHEESE!
But damn it.. he got to the point in describing the lessons learned!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

we are buds and talk smack to each other all the time.

i will ask him if he would get offended if someone described him that way...

im going over at 8am tomorrow. he has something for my daughter for christmas.

he dont seem like the type to get offended.

his name is lamar. i couldnt remember his name when i first moved in so i called him jefferson.
that was like 2 years ago. i still call him jefferson.
he dont say anything about it

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

we are buds and talk smack to each other all the time.

i will ask him if he would get offended if someone described him that way...

im going over at 8am tomorrow. he has something for my daughter for christmas.

he dont seem like the type to get offended.

his name is lamar. i couldnt remember his name when i first moved in so i called him jefferson.
that was like 2 years ago. i still call him jefferson.
he dont say anything about it

~spitting cheese!~ Jefferson? And moving on up he didn't kick your behind..
That's not a neighbor ...
That's a friend..!

Edit: so what Football team from Ohio made it to the playoffs this year?

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

about 6 months after we moved in i called him jefferson. he asked me why and i said i couldnt remember his name.
he told me its lamar. i told him its too late for that. he will forever be jefferson to me.
so thats what i call him.

i use nicknames or alt names for people all the time anyway.
the few contacts in my phone are not their real names. theyre whatever name i thought fit them best.
thats how it works

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   

about 6 months after we moved in i called him jefferson. he asked me why and i said i couldnt remember his name.
he told me its lamar. i told him its too late for that. he will forever be jefferson to me.
so thats what i call him.

i use nicknames or alt names for people all the time anyway.
the few contacts in my phone are not their real names. theyre whatever name i thought fit them best.
thats how it works

You should see the edit/contact names I've seen here.

Not going to say why...
But I know a lot of folks around here that do the same..
The name calling is mutual.. color exempted..
But there is respect though amongst everyone..

I'm still Cheesy French guy who showers much!

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Well I dont find what you said racist at all, but in my experience an incident like what you have described tends to only occur in the manner which you described at job locations that are employed mostly with light skinned non ethnic staff. Then again I have made it my mission to change the way I describe people simply as "light skinned" or "dark skinned" . In fact, it works pretty well. See the thing is in reality, white people are not really white and black people are not really black. There are individuals who can be described as coming really close to black or white, but rarely. Therefore it is of my opinion that describing people as black or white is just plain incorrect. hardly racist, but just not correct.

See in Florida, there are quite alot of people that could be described as black from Latino and now Indian heritage. Indian population is booming in Florida cities. Ironically in the past during drunk dialogue with some of my dark skinned friends, I stated I have alot of black spanish friends. And they started arguing that they are not black if they are spanish even if they are dark skin. Im like dude wtf that makes no sense hes darker than you. And my cuban friend who is dark skinned is like "dude Im more black than you". were all loling at this point because, mind you we are all just pure drunk. I finally got to the point where i said "you know what # that that # yall niggas not even really black because you dont come close to the color of my belt. In fact most "black" people are really brown so growing up I never understood why people would even call themselves black.

It was not long after this drunken banter that I was like "you know what # this these labels black and white were just created by the devil to instill division and keep us fighting each other in an effort to keep us separated from a relationship with God by filling our minds with not positive thoughts". So at that point I just describe anyone and everyone as light skinned or dark skinned end of story. Any human being can fit in that category regardless of race, religion, creed, or ethnicity without being incorrect IMO, not that it matters. Especially considering the only time necessary to comment on a persons skin color would be in a situation as presented in the OP, when someone needs directions to the individual and would like some description to better assist in finding the person.
edit on 12/22/2014 by DYepes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The whole racial tension thing seems, based on my personal observation, to be more of a media fueled big city thing.
It's not like that here in the country.
I was hanging out at the bar just last weekend with a lovely Cuban girlfriend, she has green eyes and red hair, three Mexican cowboys, and a guy who's skin is as black as crayon.
Terms like "high steppin' yellow," "drunk ass Injun mutt," "eggplant," and "beaner" were freely used in joking conversation.
Not only was no one offended, we all had a damn good time...hugged and gave love when we went home.
A lot of people just need to lighten up.

posted on Dec, 22 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

A lovely cuban girlfriend????
How many you got playa?
You high steppin skunk ape

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   

a reply to: skunkape23

A lovely cuban girlfriend????
How many you got playa?
You high steppin skunk ape

It would have probably been more accurate to say a female friend who also happens to be of Cuban descent.
Damn...now I'm a sexist.
I was with a group of bipedal hominids.

edit on 23-12-2014 by skunkape23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Thanks
i'm not sure if it was intentionally meant to be reprisent Eddy from Iron Maiden.

I chose this because the Aliens i have seen have been influencing society since the dawn of time (Human time that is), and they have always been closely related to the underworld. In Egypt, They protected the passage way to the duat. And gave safe passage to those travelling to and from the duat.

In Summaria they protected the kings chambers and protected likewise all gateways and passages. In China they are known as guardians of doorways as well and passages. they bring good luck and safety. That is when they are in their Feline forms, They can assume many forms and so reprisent many animals. So when you see a depiction of multi-headed beasts or hybrid like creatures that are half man half animal. Depending on the context it could be describing them. But they always take on a spiritual role because they are not flesh and blood. So assume some sort of elemental characteristic in folklore.

The subject goes deep and this is irrelivant towards the topic.

I guess i could make it relevant by saying that all these cultures, Even in the native american cultures there are shapeshifters also known as transformers. If mentioned as transformers they take on the role as the creators intermediaries. Try looking up native american myths of transformers and you will see a whole new side to shapeshifting lore. A benevolent side.

How does this relate to other cultures? Even the Sub-saharian cultures wore animal masks and reprisented these same beings through a type of transformative dance into the character they are trying to mimic. I read somewhere that they get so devoted to this that they will even hurt themselves and try to withdraw from the pain by channeling energy from their newly transformed power, These rituals are sometimes seen as mutilation rituals but they are trying to mimic that spirit side. That boundless shapeless essence that makes us, us. They also believe felines to be guardians of the netherworld or the underworld.

Many cultures around the planet all associate the picture you see in my avatar as that of mystic power, hidden knowledge, and guardian between worlds.

There really isn't any much difference between all of our cultures as we all hold the same beliefs. Even the muslims hold very similar beliefs about cats.
Muhammed was very fond of cats

We should respect that even tho our heritages stem from the same source and spread across the globe. That we all hold very similar beliefs, Even if not all the beliefs match up. When it comes to myths and legends of animals and gods these attributes tend to be the most repeating functions in all of society.

Everyone has a concept of death and life and everything inbetween that is taken for regular life.
And every culture has always said thanks in its own way. By attributing rain to gods, The soil, Hunting and other weird things we do for survival and personification of the enviroment.

We used to fight over Gods, well we still do. But it's good to see our main priorities in society is racism. At least with Racism religions, faith and hope can bind and mend such things and all there will be left is the remaining angry anti-socials that had an agenda in the very begining.
As for everyone else, Well. We are advancing so fast in science now racism will die in place of unification. Because one people collectively realize aliens are here, The coward racists will huddle with their icon of hatred at the fear of greater unknown threats.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
In this era of overly sensitive, politically correct, scapegoat seeking, finger pointing folk, nothing you can say will get you out of this. If you try to explain, you'll just dig yourself deeper. My usual reaction to people like that? Go peddle your white guilt to someone who cares. I know I'm not a racist and honestly don't care what others have to say about it. Little Miss She Hero needs to be told to STFU and mind her own business.

Yeah, I hear you. I am getting quite a bit sick of often white people, filled with white guilt and charged with a recent college degree studying social issues, calling out everything as racist. Ironically, I have worked in social justice, studied it, etc. But I'm getting sick of the current dynamic.

People are also beginning to think it's okay to say negative or stereotypical things about white people, and it's all okay because of institutionalized racism against minorities.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

I'm from America and had no idea you aren't supposed to call us yanks. I was always fond of the term, though personally have never used it.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:00 AM
link   
a reply to: AnuTyr

Tablet tripping out..
But here.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join