It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Giuliani Apologizes for Kerik Nomination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Former New York mayor Rudolph Giuliani has apologized for pressing for Bernard Kerik's nomination as secretary of the Homeland Security department. The nomination subsequently failed based on Mr. Kerik's admitted failure to pay taxes for a nanny who was in the country illegally in addition to some questionable business dealings.

www.chicagotribune.com
WASHINGTON -- Rudolph Giuliani, the former mayor of New York, had a Christmas dinner at the White House on Sunday night, and he attended with at least one goal--to apologize for pushing Bernard Kerik as homeland security secretary and then watching the nomination collapse in legal problems and embarrass the president.

"I feel very bad," Giuliani said Sunday in a telephone interview, adding that he felt somewhat responsible.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Guliani described the situation as a "personal embarrassment" and said "I don't like making mistakes". But was it a mistake? As long as Kerik had done a good job, I wouldn't have cared about some possible tax dodge...I mean, don't we all avoid taxes as much as possible (as much as we can get away with)?

Still, it must have been galling for a man like Guliani to grovel to a man like Bush...

[edit on 13-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I'm not sure that Kerik DID dodge the nanny taxes.
The news says that he paid them when the lived in NJ
but it's the taxes in NYC that are in question. But they
are just IN QUESTION. It seems that this story is shakey.

Why would he have paid them in NJ and not when he moved?
An honest mistake?? Were they paid and the records just
have to be found.

The country will suffer because of this. He would have been
an AWESOME man for the job.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
It's not the nanny thing silly! It's his corruption!
From his Taser ties to his receiving and doling out appointments and promotions to his cronies. Sure, he would of fit right in with the Bush administration, but Kerik was sloppy about his criminal activity, and wouldn't survive public scrutiny.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
What he should apologize for is for supporting Bush, hehe....

Of course, now this explains why Republicans are now so pro-illegals in the US...they need hired help!

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
This whole story has left me a little puzzled. Maybe I'm over-reacting to feel suspicious. But it seems like an excuse for some reason.

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by curme
It's not the nanny thing silly! It's his corruption!

Yeah, what curme said!

It's the fact that he's a rabidly partisan, backroom dealing shill for the pharmaceutical industry with a history of multiple abuses of power, alleged dirty dealings in Saudi Arabia, and jaw-dropping conflicts of interest, who was forced to testify last week in a nasty civil suit, had a warrant issued for his arrest as recently as 1998 and abandoned his critical post in Iraq 'cause he "needed a vacation."

Nanny taxes, my left ear.

new topics

top topics

join